The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Hey Bob, what's going on in your world today?

We're looking at snow tonight, tomorrow and Saturday :rolleyes: Might have to change our Christmas plans...hope not, but with 2 mountain passes to cross between our house and my brothers, it just might not be safe to go anywhere. Not too happy about that, but it's weather and there's not much anyone can do about it.

On the plus side, I got the stuff to make dinner rolls in my dutch oven so might have to give the cookie making a break and do rolls instead! Always fun to try a new bread recipe :D

52* and raining this morning. Think I'm going to tackle some chocolates and fudge today. Maybe a few more cookies. Looks like winter is due back on Sunday. Looks like Thursday will be rooster processing day.

I want to make some fudge too but if we're stuck at home, not sure that's the best idea.

On 2nd thought...maybe fudge IS the best idea :lol:

I think I'll just stare at this until I start to feel warmer...

smiley sun.gif

Hmm now you're making me rethink my short list haha if I gor buckeyes, i don't think itd be from a hatchery

Thats sad :( sorry about your chickens!

I think i might try the wyandottes

Thanks for the info! I feed a slightly higher protein feed anyway so it wouldn't be too much of an issue but they just don't seem very hardy either.

Are the anconas flighty?

And thanks for the Wyandotte info! They'd be confined but I'm hoping to make the run way bigger. And of course let them out sometimes. And now i want to try both colors!

I might have to try silvers

I still think they are worth trying and I would get more. Penny was actually my only broody - I have 2 other Orpingtons that have never gone broody all two years. I think being from a hatchery as opposed to breeder birds maybe helps. They're very friendly.

And thanks for all the details on the other breeds! It helps my decision.

My Australorps just chase and harrass ththe w others for seemingly no reason but seem to have calmed down for now and dont do it as much atm. They also hog all the food (treats not their actual food) and chase the others when they get too close.

But the others still get to eat, they let them to an extent plus they've learned to be sneaky. As long as they dont go in "their" area theyre okay.

And actually, i say they cause i used to think it was both but it appears to be just one being so mean. Or maybe just a fatty lol

I do wonder though if maybe it is just the lack of space and the cramped quarters and if maybe Australorps and BR (my other bully but not nearly as bad) just need more space??? We will see when they move.

Surprisingly though, they are now the easiest to catch and usually squat.

And your EE sounds just like mine! Bunny gets picked on and i thought it was just her but maybe it's a breed thing. Although my other EE, Diva, is slightly higher in the pecking order. But Bunny runs if they even look at her. And she too can't get treats. Tried to give her fish once when they were out. She wasn't allowed anywhere near and even when I spread it out, they ran over. That said, she has gotten better at figuring out how to sneak in for bites now. Or sometimes she doesn't know what I have yet and once she figures it out she fights more. Still only gets a few bites here and there though.

Therefore, i have learned that if i want her to get any treats like BOSS or corn, I CANNOT put it in one spot. I spread it around the run. But most of it in two spots on either end but then i also put a bit on the sides of the run, a bit just under the coop, a bit spread further out from the main piles, etc. Etc. Spread in many areas so no one fights and they each claim their own area. And usually her and the Orpingtons will go eat away from the Australorps :)

Silkies are cute but i don't think id get any here - they cant see!

Do you think they'd visit the neighbors? I'd get them for the eggs so slightly dumb isnt too bad, some of my orps can be dumb ha
The worst thing about them was that they wouldn't return to the coop when free ranging so i would have to collect them . They would perch in trees, on top of the 8 foot tall run etc. It got old fast.

Back
Top Bottom