The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I had leghorns, they fly a lot more than bigger chickens and are sort of dumb imo. But they sure lay eggs!
Nothing wrong with flying, easier to get away from a predator ;) Of course in my flock, most of the chickens will clamp their wings to their sides and run rather than fly if they want to get somewhere fast. That doesn't make a lot of sense for the lighter bodied birds that can fly well. I've noticed the Exchequers can fly and land a lot more "lightly" than the bigger birds.

Are the anconas flighty?
In my experience: somewhat. I'm not really sure what people use as the definition of "flighty".
  • Is that a bird that won't come sit in their lap? That is every bird I've had except Echo, she would if there was food to be had
  • One that doesn't want to be touched? That is ALL of the birds I've had, though some tolerate it a LITTLE
  • One that won't eat from your hand? I have several of those, different breeds.
  • One that runs for the hills if someone comes around them? I've never had any of those.
Then there is "flyer". As I said mine generally don't fly though the Cubalays would on occasion. That doesn't mean some won't fly a fence. Of the current birds, some of the 2017's will. Both Exchequers, the Barnevelder and Cassie (EE). The gate is 5' tall and they have to start from a bit down hill. They have no problem flying to the top of the fence then going over. Even my big BA can fly straight up to the 4' roosts if she doesn't want to walk the ramp from the 2' high roost.

But the others still get to eat, they let them to an extent plus they've learned to be sneaky. As long as they dont go in "their" area theyre okay.
Penelope got special treatment because she was chased from the general BOSS or Scratch area. I started holding some back walking away and dropping it behind my back when she was near so no other birds saw it.

I do wonder though if maybe it is just the lack of space and the cramped quarters and if maybe Australorps and BR (my other bully but not nearly as bad) just need more space???
More space is always good but I don't think the flock dynamics will change. Seems like those at the top do want to remind the others of their position in life at least every now and then.

She wasn't allowed anywhere near and even when I spread it out, they ran over. That said, she has gotten better at figuring out how to sneak in for bites now.
Because chickens are STOOPID! It wouldn't matter if there was a pound of BOSS or scratch in front of my girls, if a small amount was then thrown in another area they would ALL run over to that. Your best bet is to scatter it widely.

Do you think they'd visit the neighbors?
If they can get over the fence, they might. Depends on if there is something more interesting than whatever they have at home.

On 2nd thought...maybe fudge IS the best idea :lol:
Unless you want to be able to get out the door in a few days ;)

Buckeye PS:
I just contacted the folks that took the Cockerel from the other family. When the lady gave him to the new folks, she was terrified of him.

Enter new family. He is now a well-behaved "pet" (their words) that gets along with their other roosters.

I have a hunch that the new family had way more experience than the other lady. Additionally, they had other roosters that tend to put a new cockerel in it's place. They said he tried the aggressive person attack once, but never again. I imagine they did a little "reasoning" with him.

@Leahs Mom, you mean they cuddled and hugged him and told him he was a good boy ? That's a new husbandry technique that is being suggested on several threads right now. I am a proponent of the pressure cooker.

I'm pretty sure that the "reasoning" was a little different than you describe.

scared-turkey.gif

(Seriously, these folks know how to handle roosters.)

@KDOGG331
I got my Buckeyes from a breeder so I can't comment on hatchery. I do have to say that ALL the cockerels became aggressively mean. Each of them at different homes so I can't chalk it up to poor management. I finally removed the boy that I kept here.

Someone took one of the boys and he became quite aggressive to the point of not being able to handle him. She gave him to another person that had extensive rooster experience. I haven't heard about him since. (I think I'll try contacting them to see if he ever calmed down.)

This lady had a previous Buckeye Rooster that was a totally different personality - almost a lap bird. He'd come to her for treats and wanted to be touched, etc. Certainly not my experience with the boys, but there are a lot of variables and I imagine that I can't judge all Buckeye boys by the ones I have experience with! They were also hatched at a time of year that made it difficult as they were coming into "manhood" in winter while they were penned away from the girls but could interact with them through the pens. That could have totally frustrated their little selves. :0

Yeah, sorry, that was kind of random. I was jist saying the ones from hatcheries dont seem like "real" buckeyes, being a rare breed still

The worst thing about them was that they wouldn't return to the coop when free ranging so i would have to collect them . They would perch in trees, on top of the 8 foot tall run etc. It got old fast.

Wow that sounds like a real pain! I dont let mine out much and the run is fenced on top. My Orpingtons always like to come back last and sometimes cannot figure out how to get back in/find the door. But they always do.

Nothing wrong with flying, easier to get away from a predator ;) Of course in my flock, most of the chickens will clamp their wings to their sides and run rather than fly if they want to get somewhere fast. That doesn't make a lot of sense for the lighter bodied birds that can fly well. I've noticed the Exchequers can fly and land a lot more "lightly" than the bigger birds.

In my experience: somewhat. I'm not really sure what people use as the definition of "flighty".
  • Is that a bird that won't come sit in their lap? That is every bird I've had except Echo, she would if there was food to be had
  • One that doesn't want to be touched? That is ALL of the birds I've had, though some tolerate it a LITTLE
  • One that runs for the hills if someone comes around them? I've never had any of those.
Then there is "flyer". As I said mine generally don't fly though the Cubalays would on occasion. That doesn't mean some won't fly a fence. Of the current birds, some of the 2017's will. Both Exchequers, the Barnevelder and Cassie (EE). The gate is 5' tall and they have to start from a bit down hill. They have no problem flying to the top of the fence then going over. Even my big BA can fly straight up to the 4' roosts if she doesn't want to walk the ramp from the 2' high roost.

Penelope got special treatment because she was chased from the general BOSS or Scratch area. I started holding some back walking away and dropping it behind my back when she was near so no other birds saw it.

More space is always good but I don't think the flock dynamics will change. Seems like those at the top do want to remind the others of their position in life at least every now and then.

Because chickens are STOOPID! It wouldn't matter if there was a pound of BOSS or scratch in front of my girls, if a small amount was then thrown in another area they would ALL run over to that. Your best bet is to scatter it widely.

If they can get over the fence, they might. Depends on if there is something more interesting than whatever they have at home.

Thanks, i hadn't considered all those definitions of flighty! I guess I just meant like skittish/easily scared and/or fly or run away when you approach.

Bunny used to fly out of the run. She mostly flew to the top of the coop though then hopped on the fence. She probably could have flown the full 6 feet though and I think she did once. We had workers working on the house which i think scared her although actually i think she flew the coop when we had a landscaper and lawnmower back there. After that we put bird netting over the run but that annoyed me so finally after like a year, we just put welded wire up a few months ago. But the netting prevented her from flying out again

Aw that's nice of you! Has she figured it out now? Like knows where to go?

Yeah, they always run over then go back. I spread it all over now. Today i gave them 2 fish, one on each end, thinking the meek ones coukd eat at the other end but instead, one Australorp was at each fish so no one could eat any :(

Even the Orpingtons. But they snuck in occasionally.

Can't get over the fence - welded wire on top. But i was more thinking if i let them free range. My current chickens stay close to home but occasionally go in the woods which makes me nervous. I'm worried a flyer might lead them astray to the neighbors who are literally right behind us.

@KDOGG331
I got my Buckeyes from a breeder so I can't comment on hatchery. I do have to say that ALL the cockerels became aggressively mean. Each of them at different homes so I can't chalk it up to poor management. I finally removed the boy that I kept here.

Someone took one of the boys and he became quite aggressive to the point of not being able to handle him. She gave him to another person that had extensive rooster experience. I haven't heard about him since. (I think I'll try contacting them to see if he ever calmed down.)

This lady had a previous Buckeye Rooster that was a totally different personality - almost a lap bird. He'd come to her for treats and wanted to be touched, etc. Certainly not my experience with the boys, but there are a lot of variables and I imagine that I can't judge all Buckeye boys by the ones I have experience with! They were also hatched at a time of year that made it difficult as they were coming into "manhood" in winter while they were penned away from the girls but could interact with them through the pens. That could have totally frustrated their little selves. :0

Yeah, sorry, that was kind of random. I was jist saying the ones from hatcheries dont seem like "real" buckeyes, being a rare breed still

The worst thing about them was that they wouldn't return to the coop when free ranging so i would have to collect them . They would perch in trees, on top of the 8 foot tall run etc. It got old fast.

Wow that sounds like a real pain! I dont let mine out much and the run is fenced on top. My Orpingtons always like to come back last and sometimes cannot figure out how to get back in/find the door. But they always do.

Thanks, i hadn't considered all those definitions of flighty! I guess I just meant like skittish/easily scared and/or fly or run away when you approach.

Bunny used to fly out of the run. She mostly flew to the top of the coop though then hopped on the fence. She probably could have flown the full 6 feet though and I think she did once. We had workers working on the house which i think scared her although actually i think she flew the coop when we had a landscaper and lawnmower back there. After that we put bird netting over the run but that annoyed me so finally after like a year, we just put welded wire up a few months ago. But the netting prevented her from flying out again

Aw that's nice of you! Has she figured it out now? Like knows where to go?

Yeah, they always run over then go back. I spread it all over now. Today i gave them 2 fish, one on each end, thinking the meek ones coukd eat at the other end but instead, one Australorp was at each fish so no one could eat any :(

Even the Orpingtons. But they snuck in occasionally.

Can't get over the fence - welded wire on top. But i was more thinking if i let them free range. My current chickens stay close to home but occasionally go in the woods which makes me nervous. I'm worried a flyer might lead them astray to the neighbors who are literally right behind us.

Back
Top Bottom