The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Not since nearly 8 hours ago.

Hope all is ok, don't know how far or how long that drive will take. Just pray they get home safe and sound. And bet she will have to defuse after that horrible weather and drive.

2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I have was great....

I hope she's alright.....

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Well, once Blooie does get here I have a plate of chislic waiting for her. Thought about a cake to welcome her back with but I think she'll like the chislic more, lol.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    And we are home. Pulled in at 4:45 but took the time to unload the car and unpack first so we didn't have to do that later on. I have never, and I mean NEVER, in 65 years on this planet and all the traveling we've done, been so totally terrified in my life. My rosary broke, and I'm not kidding! It's normally about 3.5 hours between Sheridan and Wheatland, at 70 mph, less time now that the speed limit is 80 almost all the way down. It took us over 5 just to get between them. When we got into the house Ken said he was going to toss his undies in the wash. I opted to burn mine.

To give you an idea, this is the breakdown using 70 mph as average speed (it's now 80 on the interstate, but I wasn't watching the clock that closely.)

Wheatland to Casper - 1.5 hours
    Casper to Sheridan - 2 hours

This trip
    Wheatland to Casper - 3.5 hours
    Casper to Sheridan - 2 hours

Those times are just estimated, of course...I was worried about other things besides the clock. The entire route from Wheatland to Glenrock, which is about 86 miles, we had sheet ice in both lanes..the passing lane and the driving lane. Then from Glenrock to Casper we had intermittent patches of pavement. The interstate has long but relatively steep grades and areas with lots of curves spaced rather closely. And of course the 18 wheelers were trying to make up lost time, so they'd whip around us and stir up the snow in the ditches and blind us. It was the worst drive of my entire life. My job was to watch the rear view and side mirrors for traffic coming up behind us and let Ken know what it was and how far back, and whether it looked like the other vehicle was going to try to pass. That way Ken could just focus on the road. From Casper to Sheridan it wasn't bad at all, but neither of us could relax by them. We stopped about 12:30 and had lunch, but we could barely get it down, we were so tied up in knots. At that point we had a decision to make. Do we go over the Big Horns and home, or do we add hours to the trip by going up to Billings and circling back down. We opted for Billings. We didn't know what the road conditions were like up on top, and we'd both had enough of snow and ice to last us a lifetime and beyond.

[​IMG]
    See the little dark areas? Those are NOT just ice.....they are the bare pavement with a skim of thin ice on top.

[​IMG]
    It was like this for over 80 knuckle-biting miles. There's a reason we call WyDot snowplows "Zambonis" in this state - after they pass you can hold figure skating competitions on what they leave behind, they polish it that nicely.

But all's well that ends well, I guess. It'll take us a couple of days to recover from this one, that's for sure. Thanks for the prayers and the chislic! Never thought I'd say this, but is it okay if I don't eat the chislic right away? My light lunch is still sitting like a rock.

1 person likes this.
  5. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    That will be the day you forget it at home!!

6. DigMyChicks

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    Glad you're home safely Blooie!! Glad to see you have a sense of humor still...

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Realistically, there could be far worse 'endings'.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Blooie so glad you & Ken made it home safely. We'll have the chislic tomorrow after you've rested and got your breath back. Get a good night's rest!

9. DigMyChicks

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    20 years ago this month I rolled my car... Seven months pregnant. At the time we had those two way radios, and that was the first time ever my husband had shut it off the night before. During the roll it fell out the broken window and for luck I happened to see where it landed...right outside the window. Thank God my husbands niece was staying at his parents and she heard me calling for help and they called my husband. This was 5:30 in the morning and as much as I hated carrying that radio I was grateful I had it. Everything turned out fine and eventually we upgraded to phones[​IMG]

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Something like that sure would make you appreciate being able to call for help. Glad it turned out ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by