The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Never had AC while growing up also no heat in the bedroom so I understand where Bert is coming from.

Early in our marriage, no AC in the house, I was feeling a bit romantic, and the Princess said, "It's entirely too hot and humid for that." I went out and bought an AC unit the very next day. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    We are the lucky ones.

3. DigMyChicks

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    That's why you've been married for so long[​IMG]

4. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    can you imagine how it was back in the day before ac and they had 12-15 kids?

5. DigMyChicks

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    Yes...I lived it, not enough fans and 12 kids!

6. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    my summer time set up was this.......

we grew up in a very old house.........11' ceilings, and double hung windows that started about 18" from the floor, and extended up to about 8'.

put a fan in the window, with the sheet tucked around and duct taped to the fan.turn the fan on, and anchor the edges of the sheet on your bed, with book, toys, what ever was handy......

made an aired up tent.......

go take a shower, get it as cold as you can stand.......we were on well water, so once the pump kicked on, you got some cold water. barely dry off out of the shower, and hurry and get under your air tent, before the humidity got you sweating again.......

the only down side, was that the outside noises seemed to be amplified from the fan blowing them in your room.......lol

1 person likes this.
  7. DigMyChicks

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    Sounds like an adventure... I remember the big vents on the wall and coming down the stairs in the middle of the night and sitting in front of one with a blanket over my head and the vent to warm up. I don't know how old our house was. It was 4 floors and big and square with a pocket door separating the living and dining room.

8. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    we used a goose down comforter during the winter months.......
    they probably spent about 330 nights of the year, crumpled up at the foot of the bed.....but the other 30 night was grateful we had them

oh man, that first dive under the covers for bed time........and getting sent to your room in trouble, during the winter........lol

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] that old goose down comforter.

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nice trips down memory lane guys! Now kids think they have it hard if they don't have their own cell phone by the time they're 8.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by