The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I hope they come through here this year. I haven't seen them that thick in 10 or 15 years

Apparently they have been in a down cycle. Around here this year, the butterfly count was low. (Yeah there are folks who actually conduct counts.) That being said the Monarch population has been greater than what has been normal lately.

Apparently they have been in a down cycle. Around here this year, the butterfly count was low. (Yeah there are folks who actually conduct counts.) That being said the Monarch population has been greater than what has been normal lately.
I hope they continue to thrive. They are a beautiful part of nature.

DMC, that's amazing!!!! I'm so glad you shared this and I showed it Evan. He spends his summers as a volunteer at the Sertoma Butterfly House in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and is nuts about butterflies and the life cycles of the ordinary and the rare and extraordinary species. Monarchs are his favorite! He was practically drooling! :lau

Sour is correct, they do that on their migrations. Seems all of them choose a particular tree to roost in overnight.
There was a particular tree on our ranch, that every year they would roost, just like the pictures you see of them roosting in trees in Mexico. Kinda awe inspiring.
South Texas is one of their major breeding grounds in their migration back North. Several years ago, we had major wildfires and it wiped out alot of milkweed plants.
They really haven't recovered from the loss.

Sour is correct, they do that on their migrations. Seems all of them choose a particular tree to roost in overnight.
There was a particular tree on our ranch, that every year they would roost, just like the pictures you see of them roosting in trees in Mexico. Kinda awe inspiring.
South Texas is one of their major breeding grounds in their migration back North. Several years ago, we had major wildfires and it wiped out alot of milkweed plants.
They really haven't recovered from the loss.
I wonder if that will be the big twitter selfie next year. This year is was a selfie in a sunflower field! Poor Farmers!

Last edited:
I wonder it that will be the big twitter selfie next year. This year is was a selfie in a sunflower field! Poor Farmers!
Since the wildfires, I haven't seen that many Monarchs. I wish I would have taken pics of the ones on our ranch :( just never thought it was anything out of the ordinary! :smack

I always feel so lost in the conversation......I feel like I should be contributing more but once again I am always getting lost..... so very circular. :barnieHa.

The key to keeping up here is do what I do.....don't even try! I get so far behind sometimes, then I try to catch up to multiple conversations and I'm suddenly circular too! But they love me.....at least they pretend they do so they don't hurt the ol' lady's feel goods. :lau

morning everyone:frow
woke up early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep so here i am,reading, those butterflies are something, wish i could have seen them but i doubt they come thru here but i did have caterpillars of the swallowtail butterflies on my carrot fronds this year, when i first found them was going to feed them to the chickens cause they looked like the tomato worms in color but picked the five and decided to put them in a jar and check on the internet to find out for sure, found out they were swallowtails so took them back out to the carrots and let them loose , check them everyday for a week then they "did their thing" and went into the ground i guess to pupate

Back
Top Bottom