The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Hi WV - gotta get my ducks in a row for that one (back up power), but if i go home to the UK any time soon, ones gonna be in my luggage for sure!

I set some eggs under my broody last week so there should be some fun and games for the hawks in a couple of weeks time
smile.png

Had a decent St. Patty's Day. Took DH back to the doctor for follow-up. Progressing slowly, but as expected and progression is better than regression! Skipped the green beer and went with my standard wild turkey
wink.png

I'm setting lavender orpington eggs for a customer, and probably some of my golden sebrights and silver duckwing OEGB's for myself.

Good luck with that backup power supply!

Thanks WV and I'll likely need all the luck i can. Such talk of all these different breeds - makes me very jealous!
hit.gif

There are soooo many breeds I'd love to have, but just don't have the resources. I like keeping most breeds separated, so I would need way too many pens!
big_smile.png

Here are some of mine from last weekend's hatch.

Very cute chicks! Its probably better we don't have specific breeds of chickens here (oh we do - white leghorns) - I'd be in all sorts of bother! I'm hatching these new chicks just for the hell of it - i just like to see them messing around in the garden, but I'm moving to replacing my dual purpose commercial birds, so thats my excuse for more chicks (like we've ever needed one
smile.png
)

Which Brinsea do you use? I was thinking of the Eco 20 - same price as mini advance and I'm home all day so egg turning will not be a stress - gotta keep the costs down for sure! Any thoughts / recommendations?

I have the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX with the humidity pump, but only because I found the whole package cheap on Craigslist. (used once by a teacher in a classroom!)

I hear that all of their Eco's can be more difficult to maintain humidity. The Eco 20 will hold more eggs than the Mini advance, so how much issue would humidity be for you? And how many eggs do you want to be able to do? Those would probably be the deciding factors for me, between those two incubators. The Mini if you don't need to do a lot of eggs, but the Eco if you want more eggs, and can work with possible humidity issues.

I live at over a mile above sea level, so its rarely humid here - and a good thought to add into the equation. Maybe the mini would be better, but I don't need any new additions if I'm being totally honest, so the fewer eggs can fit in the bator, the better!
smile.png
. Its just not easy trying to order fertile eggs 2 weeks in advance when you have 1 broody hen (and she's getting on a bit, so i would not want to keep her broody for 2-3 weeks before setting - she'd weigh the same as a robin by the time she was done
big_smile.png
).

I appreciate your advice WV - gosh, who knew that members of this thread can actually have a "normal" conversation? Weird stuff... Maybe we will be barred in the future
hide.gif

Chris

Hi BertS - could you use beaver to make one? I read / heard that the Vatican declared beavers to be fish back in the day (I reckon I'd prefer fish personally, but there you go) so they could chow down on a Friday.

I've just asked DW to bring some falafels and hummus and all that loveliness home for dinner (I'm not a Catholic, but she is, so maybe that may help with my request - who knows?)

Back
Top Bottom