The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Yep. I found some posts and then started a thread and got advice. Unfortunately, I can't get to TSC until lunchtime today and so hopefully as long as I keep watering her and giving her bits of food, it will be enough to keep her strength up. She really wants to be held too. If I cup her into my hands, she relaxes quickly and sleeps. At the least, I feel like giving her some comfort if she isn't going to make it seems helpful. Stops her form flopping about, which I'm sure saves her energy too. It seems that if she was injured in travel, she simply may not make it. But, if this is caused by vitamin deficiency, then getting her some Nutri Drench or Poly Vi Sol may do the trick.
thumbsup.gif
Sounds like a good way to go about it. Keep us posted!

Ken says he's not "color blind". He's "color disinterested." Yep!

Teila, I'm the opposite - I love to Facetime! Lots of times Katie will Facetime me just to show me what she's made or to show me a new outfit or something, and without Facetime I would have crawled to Denver when Kendra was having surgery! Loved being able to see and hear how she was doing in real time, and we made her smile a time or two as well. Now that the rebuild is officially started, keep us posted on changes and new stuff!!

Color disinterested!
lau.gif

We just got back from a trip to TSC for cat food, the place was loud with the sound of chicks and ducklings. Of course I had to go look at them and was so disappointed to see how they were being kept. None, not a single one, of the big metal tubs they were in had water. It looked like someone had used little cat food tins as waterers and the birds had knocked them over. Poor little guys were pecking away at the bottom of the tins and the bedding was soaked. There were 5 tubs of chicks and 1 tub of ducklings and NONE of them had water.

I mentioned it to the 3 employees I could find but no one could be bothered to do anything about it. TSC sells waterers, why wouldn't they use those? They had their food in the TSC feeders.

Another woman was there looking at the birds with me and pointed out all the boxes of live chicks waiting to be unloaded...there must have been another 4-5 boxes of chicks still packed and stacked on top of each other.

I could maybe understand it if the store was busy but they weren't. The only customers were DH, me and the other lady looking at the chicks.

Really bothered me...I'll never buy chicks from that place, just can't reward them with a sale for treating live animals that way.

thumbsup.gif
Sounds like a good way to go about it. Keep us posted!
Unfortunately, Stargazer (we started calling her that) just passed away. I tried the Nutri Drench and continued with food and water, but no go. She failed to thrive over these past 24 critical hours. Her final few hours were very peaceful and all the spasms had ceased and she would relax easily in my hand.

I learned a lot though from BYC folks though through this!

I still have 26 champs running around and starting to develop little personalities ...

Quote: Aw, I'm sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif
I had a chick with wry neck that hatched about two weeks ago. I gave it some Poly-Vi-Sol and sugar water, but hadn't much hope. Much to my astonishment, it recovered. It had been the last to hatch; some of its siblings were 2-3 days older, and growing like weeds. It was very slow about starting to eat, and by the time I was sure it was going to make it, I didn't want to put it in with its siblings because they were so much bigger and feistier. But I had several more chicks hatch early this week, and since it wasn't much bigger than they are, we put it with them - and that has worked out perfectly.

Last edited:
We just got back from a trip to TSC for cat food, the place was loud with the sound of chicks and ducklings. Of course I had to go look at them and was so disappointed to see how they were being kept. None, not a single one, of the big metal tubs they were in had water.

Really bothered me...I'll never buy chicks from that place, just can't reward them with a sale for treating live animals that way.

The local TSC takes great care of the chicks and ducklings. Well heated with clean bedding, feed and water - that being said, it is 'buyer beware' as far as chick identification. I was there today and a lady was preparing to buy 'Australorps'.. Only problem is that they were barred rocks improperly identified. Two tubs over were some nice looking Australorps - I told her to buy them. Last year their 'silkies' were flat out mutts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom