The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I talked to one of the women at our TSC. She said they are all horrified when the chicks come in. They ship so early that our winter is still in full swing and many of the birds arrive frozen.
hit.gif
Breaks my heart.

Aw, I'm sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif
I had a chick with wry neck that hatched about two weeks ago. I gave it some Poly-Vi-Sol and sugar water, but hadn't much hope. Much to my astonishment, it recovered. It had been the last to hatch; some of its siblings were 2-3 days older, and growing like weeds. It was very slow about starting to eat, and by the time I was sure it was going to make it, I didn't want to put it in with its siblings because they were so much bigger and feistier. But I had several more chicks hatch early this week, and since it wasn't much bigger than they are, we put it with them - and that has worked out perfectly.
Thanks! That's awesome that your little one pulled through. On Day 1, I had no idea for half a day and so I think I lost a lot of time with my little one. What was weird is that this morning she was standing upright, leaning on the box, but upright and chirping so I thought what little we had been abe to do the night before (just brewer's yeast and hand feeding) had at least pulled her through the worst. I read several interesting stories on BYC ad am glad I now know about this condition and will recognize it and know what to do earlier on.

Unfortunately, Stargazer (we started calling her that) just passed away. I tried the Nutri Drench and continued with food and water, but no go. She failed to thrive over these past 24 critical hours. Her final few hours were very peaceful and all the spasms had ceased and she would relax easily in my hand.

I learned a lot though from BYC folks though through this!

I still have 26 champs running around and starting to develop little personalities ...
I'm sorry you lost her. Sometimes the best we can do is just too little to overcome problems.

TJBaker, thanks for telling me that. . I sleep with 3 stuffed animals myself and it does help.
Wait...I have to get a mental image of this....DD sleeping with a stuffed lion. Wearing jammies. (The lion, not DD)

Ken got home and gave me the bad news...when we were at the surgeon's office Tuesday he did a thorough exam (and some of the movements he did pulling on Ken's arm and moving stuff around almost made Ken yell) the thought was to do an injection and physical therapy, then recheck in about 6 weeks. The theory was that he can move it pretty well and doesn't have too much pain unless it's stressed, so it may well heal on its own if we can get the inflammation down. If it wasn't any better, they'd do an MRI and make other plans. Well, doc got a good look at the MRI and told Ken it was far worse than he'd thought, and he was so glad they opted for the MRI now. So Ken will have surgery on March 29th. This just couldn't happen at a worse time - so much to do to help Tam get the house ready, get her moved in, and Jenny has used up all of her time off with appointments for Kendra. Well, sometimes life just gets in the way of life and we all have to deal. Doctor is estimating a 10-12 week recovery time. Ugh!

Ken told Tam to make a list of the minor repairs that need to be done now (a few receptacles re-wired, a faulty light in the kitchen that need to be replaced, the ugly light taken down in the living room and her ceiling fan and light taken from the house she's in now and put into the new place, plus replacing the light in the rental that she'll be taking down). Tam said she was changing her plans. Most of the painting can wait. She'll get the place cleaned up, paint the dining room -she really hates that turquoise - and she can do the rest little by little after she's moved in. I told her that she and I could probably get all the rooms downstairs painted and if we have to we can wait to do the bedrooms upstairs. Sounds like a plan.

Long day.

I'm sorry you lost her. Sometimes the best we can do is just too little to overcome problems.

Wait...I have to get a mental image of this....DD sleeping with a stuffed lion. Wearing jammies. (The lion, not DD)

Ken got home and gave me the bad news...when we were at the surgeon's office Tuesday he did a thorough exam (and some of the movements he did pulling on Ken's arm and moving stuff around almost made Ken yell) the thought was to do an injection and physical therapy, then recheck in about 6 weeks. The theory was that he can move it pretty well and doesn't have too much pain unless it's stressed, so it may well heal on its own if we can get the inflammation down. If it wasn't any better, they'd do an MRI and make other plans. Well, doc got a good look at the MRI and told Ken it was far worse than he'd thought, and he was so glad they opted for the MRI now. So Ken will have surgery on March 29th. This just couldn't happen at a worse time - so much to do to help Tam get the house ready, get her moved in, and Jenny has used up all of her time off with appointments for Kendra. Well, sometimes life just gets in the way of life and we all have to deal. Doctor is estimating a 10-12 week recovery time. Ugh!

Ken told Tam to make a list of the minor repairs that need to be done now (a few receptacles re-wired, a faulty light in the kitchen that need to be replaced, the ugly light taken down in the living room and her ceiling fan and light taken from the house she's in now and put into the new place, plus replacing the light in the rental that she'll be taking down). Tam said she was changing her plans. Most of the painting can wait. She'll get the place cleaned up, paint the dining room -she really hates that turquoise - and she can do the rest little by little after she's moved in. I told her that she and I could probably get all the rooms downstairs painted and if we have to we can wait to do the bedrooms upstairs. Sounds like a plan.

Long day.

Sorry Ken has to go for repairs. Unfortunate that the golden years don't provide us with a new flesh suit. Mine's about worn out and I'm not quite half way to my goal!

I'm sure you and Tam will make the home much more than livable. Hopefully she will be there for many years to come!

Sorry Ken has to go for repairs. Unfortunate that the golden years don't provide us with a new flesh suit. Mine's about worn out and I'm not quite half way to my goal!

I'm sure you and Tam will make the home much more than livable. Hopefully she will be there for many years to come!
Thanks. And you're right, she'll be in there a long time, we hope, so she has time and she'll probably change her mind and redo things a hunnert 'n eleventy times!

I figured it out - it ain't the BEING old that's the issue.....it's the process of getting there! <sigh>

Back
Top Bottom