The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

You do real good on the keyboard. I type like Tarzan. In person I mumble a lot and look for ways out of it. I don't like small talk or chit chat. When someone asks me how I am doing, I get the question in my head of whether this person actually cares or is just being polite, so I often don't answer right away as I'm thinking, always thinking.

In my job I have to have a "personality and gab", but the real Sunflour has neither
wink.png
. But, I love the folks here, somehow y'all are so much more real than the folks I HAVE to interact with nearly daily. There's a depth here vs shallow everywhere else?

Although not as noticible now as when I was young, my stutter made conversation difficult and uncomfortabe for both me and whoever i was talking with. I don't stutter when I type! Well, except when my brain and fingers dont't coordinate. Or when i make the same stupid errors in grammar. Or when I spell the same word wrong over and over again. Okay, okay - I stutter when I type..........

Last edited:
Casper? Shoot, you'd be a lot closer to Debby than I am if you visited there, but we could kinda meet in the middle......she could head north and I could head south.......

Jamie had the best description of Wyoming when one of his out-of-state friends was talking to him about it. Jamie said, "It's kinda like participating in a track meet - hours and hours of looking around blankly and yawning, then a brief flash of 'Holy Cow! Did you SEE that? WOW!'"
lau.gif
I have a story from a couple years ago that really sums up Wyoming to me (note: I'm not a native Wyomingite, but lived there for 7 years while I attended grad school at UWYO and was heartbroken to leave). We did a 30 day trip that I dubbed the Sea to Shining Sea Road Trip. Started in NY and drove across the US to the the San Juan Islands off the coast of WA (well, took a ferry out to that last bit), camping the whole way with our boys, then 4 and 18. We had been living and working in various African countries for several years but wanted our kids to see, well, America the Beautiful! We planned three days in Casper for the Beartrap Music Fest. Couldn't find a place to camp at all due to the festival. Outside Casper, a lady who owned a restaurant where we stopped to ask for some advice about further afar camping said we could camp out back when she heard our plight and that we have traveled so far. DH and I decided we should take our meals there as a way to say thanks because she and her husband asked for nothing in return and were such great people to chat with and they were simply put good people. We spent some time chatting and hanging out with the wife and husband around supper. Husband goes into restaurant after a bit, comes back out, sets a pair of keys on the table and draws a map. He then said, go pack up your stuff. We have a cabin not far from the festival area and our boys are grown and we haven't used the place in ages, so why don't you go and stay there. We offered to pay as a rental but they flat out refused.

This is the kind of thing I encountered all the time when I lived in Wyoming: kindness of strangers. Lots of good people. People from all sorts of walks of life but with something special about them that comes from living in Wyoming. I have no idea what it is, but that place changes a person in good ways.

I have a story from a couple years ago that really sums up Wyoming to me (note: I'm not a native Wyomingite, but lived there for 7 years while I attended grad school at UWYO and was heartbroken to leave). We did a 30 day trip that I dubbed the Sea to Shining Sea Road Trip. Started in NY and drove across the US to the the San Juan Islands off the coast of WA (well, took a ferry out to that last bit), camping the whole way with our boys, then 4 and 18. We had been living and working in various African countries for several years but wanted our kids to see, well, America the Beautiful! We planned three days in Casper for the Beartrap Music Fest. Couldn't find a place to camp at all due to the festival. Outside Casper, a lady who owned a restaurant where we stopped to ask for some advice about further afar camping said we could camp out back when she heard our plight and that we have traveled so far.  DH and I decided we should take our meals there as a way to say thanks because she and her husband asked for nothing in return and were such great people to chat with and they were simply put good people. We spent some time chatting and hanging out with the wife and husband around supper. Husband goes into restaurant after a bit, comes back out, sets a pair of keys on the table and draws a map. He then said, go pack up your stuff. We have a cabin not far from the festival area and our boys are grown and we haven't used the place in ages, so why don't you go and stay there. We offered to pay as a rental but they flat out refused.

This is the kind of thing I encountered all the time when I lived in Wyoming: kindness of strangers. Lots of good people. People from all sorts of walks of life but with something special about them that comes from living in Wyoming. I have no idea what it is, but that place changes a person in good ways.

That just warmed my heart.......

I wanted to post some pics of my little chicks, but it's taken a while to get some good photos. I seem to be sick was some wretched respiratory thing, but finally just out of bed from a long day of much needed rest.

We have 26 chicks. Honestly, I didn't think they would all arrive alive based on what I had read online. So, we will likely give some away to other 4H kids (our youngest does 4H) we know and whose families have been talking about doing poultry.

Here is a sample of our chicks below (hopefully I have the breeds correct).

Buff Laced Polish, Buff Orpington, Blue Andalusian

White Crested Polish

Silver Laced Wyandotte

Rhode Island Red

Salmon Faverolles

This last little one, the Salmon Faverolles, we have three and they have the worst pasty butts! Other birds are entirely clean but these three have to be cleaned regularly. And, they are really skittish compared to the others. We also have Dominiques and Delawares, but I am unsure which is which at this stage.

Although not as noticible now as when I was young, my stutter made conversation difficult and uncomfortabe for both me and whoever i was talking with. I don't stutter when I type! Well, except when my brain and fingers dont't coordinate. Or when i make the same stupid errors in grammar. Or when I spell the same word wrong over and over again. Okay, okay - I stutter when I type..........
I had a speech impediment, couldn't pronounce my sh's and I stuttered as a kid. I was taken out of class in school during first grade to a little closet where a speech therapist made me feel like a freak. No wonder I have problems.

The folks in Wyoming sound great. Wish some would come out this way and be my neighbors.

I've been seeing "Hot cross buns," in the grocery store, near as I can tell the buns are cold (sitting on the display table) and have icing in the form of a cross on the top. I think you have to be Christian to eat them. LOL
lau.gif

The folks in Wyoming sound great.  Wish  some would come out this way and be my neighbors.

I've been seeing "Hot cross buns,"  in the grocery store, near as I can tell the  buns are cold (sitting on the display table) and have icing in the form of a cross on the top.  I think you have to be Christian to eat them.   LOL   :lau

Nah. You can turn 'em a quarter turn and be a pirate. X marks the spot....

Back
Top Bottom