The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Re: the "newsletter" post, I feel like I need to apologize for leaving some of you out. I figured that was bound to happen and that's why I put a disclaimer at the beginning of my post.

I'm sorry, the omissions were not intentional!

Re: the "newsletter" post, I feel like I need to apologize for leaving some of you out. I figured that was bound to happen and that's why I put a disclaimer at the beginning of my post.

I'm sorry, the omissions were not intentional!

I hope you didn't ruminate and lose sleep over this one
hugs.gif
. And sorry you found out that no one can be perfect
ep.gif

It amazes me how y'all can keep up and comment on every post here
idunno.gif

Thanks @sunflour ! I am going to take another look. If those little Black ones are the Dominiques, the I have no idea who my Blue Andalusians are! Well, there is one little one posted below that I am pretty sure is a Blue Andalusian, but there is only one and there were supposed to be two. hmmmm...

Sounds like they miscounted - or just ran out of the BA and tossed in another breed?

Maybe you could contact the for refund for the missing chick.

OK, so I went back and looked at my order and some pics from the hatchery where they came from (McMurray), and I think I have it sorted. The Andalusians have more variety than I anticipated. They are called Blue Andalusian, but well, here is one:

I got my flock from Murray McMurray Hatchery and they show these as examples of their Blue Andalusians:

And, I have three of these others (front), which must be the Delawares, which makes sense because I ordered three and have three of these:

This all makes much more sense now based on my order. The cream colored Blue Andalusian threw me way off and for whatever reason I had it stuck in my mind that Dominiques were yellow.

Sounds like they miscounted - or just ran out of the BA and tossed in another breed?

Maybe you could contact the for refund for the missing chick.

The crazy thing is, they sent me 27 chicks and I ordered 25. They gave me an extra RIR and indicated so on the order, and then a "Free Rare Exotic". One of my chicks died and she was definitely one of the four Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have three of those remaining, but had ordered four. Honestly, the only really easy ones to figure out in this bunch are the RIR, Polish, and Faverolles. Several of the others are really similar looking, though starting to distinguish themselves every day now! It's really amazing!

Now, I need to figure out who and what the free rare exotic is ...

OK, so I went back and looked at my order and some pics from the hatchery where they came from (McMurray), and I think I have it sorted. The Andalusians have more variety than I anticipated. They are called Blue Andalusian, but well, here is one:

I got my flock from Murray McMurray Hatchery and they show these as examples of their Blue Andalusians:

And, I have three of these others (front), which must be the Delawares, which makes sense because I ordered three and have three of these:

This all makes much more sense now based on my order. The cream colored Blue Andalusian threw me way off and for whatever reason I had it stuck in my mind that Dominiques were yellow.

Now, the next big question are they the sexes you wanted - for me, I can get only pullets.

When I got my first flock...had studied and studied on how to make sure I picked only female BR's - but when I got to the store, they were all so cute that I just went brain dead and picked out the most active and friendly ones. Sweated hours after getting them home that I had picked a couple of roos - thankful I was lucky they turned out to be all gals.

The crazy thing is, they sent me 27 chicks and I ordered 25. They gave me an extra RIR and indicated so on the order, and then a "Free Rare Exotic". One of my chicks died and she was definitely one of the four Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have three of those remaining, but had ordered four. Honestly, the only really easy ones to figure out in this bunch are the RIR, Polish, and Faverolles. Several of the others are really similar looking, though starting to distinguish themselves every day now! It's really amazing!

Now, I need to figure out who and what the free rare exotic is ...

Why don't you post the pics of those in question on What Breed, Gender forum, and for sure someone will help you with the ID?

And just FYI - your pics of the chicks has placed you in in the Enabler category with Debby
lau.gif
I'm getting newbies next week - this time, will take my baby chick sexing articles and pics with me
wink.png

Last edited:
Now, the next big question are they the sexes you wanted - for me, I can get only pullets.

When I got my first flock...had studied and studied on how to make sure I picked only female BR's - but when I got to the store, they were all so cute that I just went brain dead and picked out the most active and friendly ones. Sweated hours after getting them home that I had picked a couple of roos - thankful I was lucky they turned out to be all gals.
I ordered from McMurray because after reading around and asking some folks locally, they seemed to have a good rep for correctly sexing chicks. Roosters aren't legal where we are zoned, so if any turn out to be roos then they will have to either be rehomed or culled. We have 2 acres and no terribly close neighbors, but we don't want to risk it.

Why don't you post the pics of those in question on What Breed, Gender forum, and for sure someone will help you with the ID?

And just FYI - your pics of the chicks has placed you in in the Enabler category with Debby
lau.gif
I'm getting newbies next week - this time, will take my baby chick sexing articles and pics with me
wink.png
Great idea on the Breed ID forum.

And
lau.gif
on being an enabler with Debby! Oh my, I went from let's get 4 chicks to 25 chicks pretty much the moment I started looking at pics and reading about the breeds. I was reading the reviews on this sites of different breeds and the cons were minimal for most of them it seemed! Or, maybe I just blocked the cons out during my reading?

Back
Top Bottom