The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Moving Sixty miles out in the Desert. I have a house there and nineteen acres. Havent seen it in about five years havent live in it in twelve.... I neeed to go back...

Raw land has its down falls. You have to drill a well Put in septic Run power lines. Get it all approved then you can build a house. Most people buy a modular. This is NOT farm land... its good for goats and cattle.... NO grass. No Trees or very few trees. By the time you get the improvements done you will triple the price easy.

I been doing it since aquariums were steel rimmed and packed with Tar for waterproofing... The first All glass ones came out in aquarium stores the year I started working at The Sears Pet and Garden shop. I think I was twenty one? So more than forty years. I think Cap has been at it a very long time as well.

IN all that time I never was able to get plants so survive more than as long as it took the fish to eat them...:he:gig It takes a special kind of patience to have a tank with live plants...

As far as me getting my strength back Its coming along having more good days now... Packing and inventory are easy tasks if you make it easy... Getting up and down from a seated position is my BANE... But I am gaining strength in my legs... and working on standing upright rather than hunching over.... Core strength is GONE.

I used to be able to grab a horses mane and swing up bareback. Up and down stairs No problem.... Those days are gone I am afraid but I Know I can get up to the point where I can go out and feed the poultry and the goats.... And maybe my horse again.

Found A Farrier that lives up in the general neighborhood. So my girl can come home.... :weeBut Shh dont tell my mom she is adament that I not have horses again.

Strategic placement of bales of straw make excellent resting spots for me. And I do have a Big walker with wheels capable of handling rough but firm ground.

deb
I now see why it's so cheap:lol:! .. Before I was like It must be a really...remote area. Glad you can finally get to move back to your own house I hope it all goes well!:highfive:.

. Wow that's a long time of fish keeping :eek:! I can't believe they used tar, well I guess that's what people used for roofs .. What kinda filtration systems were around then? I bet The metal rims were a little bit of a challenge for salt water. Although the salt water hobby may not have been as common.... Well it depends on what type of fish you get. Gold fish will destroy live plants. Also you need good nutrient rich soil and a good light. Here's what I would love to have
Screenshot_2020-01-05-10-07-43_kindlephoto-966731497.png
...there's definitely hope for you .. It will be great when you gain more strength! I know a 70 year old who's my father in law and he is still remodeling houses building decks , barns and designing houses by himself . He has taken excellent care of himself. he was an architect and a builder. Who Recently retired and now family members have been taking advantage of him . Has had remodeled there house build walls added an addition not just a little addition ether a big one not sure how many square feet but they didn't pay him much of any thing for the work! . :mad: it's not like He didn't do a great job ether.! He doesn't even care if people pay him . He just says it's penance .🤨. Rant over... So you might get a horse, aww that's gonna be nice, I won't say a word to her;).shh...... If you get the horse feel free to share pictures.

Last edited:
It's bad out there! Part of what bothers me about the whole hiring process, people come to you looking for a job so you hire them and then they don't want to work. I don't get it.
That was this lady that just got let go. She applied for another job during the short time she was with us and asked our director if she would give her a reference. What?? That should have been a big red flag she didn’t want a job with us.
When we were living in Key West, we saw a help wanted article in the paper. It went something along the lines of "Help wanted. If you have a drug or drinking problem, don't like to work hard and can't show up on time, don't bother to apply...you already work here." :gig

I think a lot of employers can relate!
Funny but true in some places
Hi Cap, enjoy your sunny day!

We're supposed to have a high of 32* here today and more snow expected Monday. :tongue At least the wind isn't blowing, so that's good!
We’ve had 2 mild days in a row but no sun.
There's a guy @ my work like that. Constantly whining about being broke, yet always shows up late & wants to leave early. He went to the dentist yesterday and wanted me to take his shift today because he didn't think that he'd feel up to going to work. Give me a break. I went to work every day with an abscess that had my face all swollen. When he is at work he does nothing. His mother is the assistant manager and even she wants to fire him, but the manager won't do it for some unknown reason.
He’s probably got dirt on the boss.

I love this! Where did you buy your shrimp? I want to try keeping some of those.
I got them from a breeder on Craigslist. You can get them from other places as well some fish store s might sell them . Research about their care be for getting them . Also if you have a well don't use the water that has been ran through your water softener most likely it will have salt in it which is deadly to shrimp. Use straight well water you could test it first though mine is good for fish and aquatic life but everyone's is different. :)

I hate the crying and diaper changes though lol.
Does anyone like that??
The crying/screaming is like an ice pick being shoved in my ear.

And then there's the whole phone thing. Work must stop when there's an incoming text.
And they come in every 2 minutes.

Just couldn't be there for the kill. I hid in the chicken coop.
Reassuring the hens that they aren't next?

We'd go down to the river and practice by shooting at soda & beer cans as they floated downstream.
Must have been a lot of junk in that river!

What kinda filtration systems were around then?
This type was common, at least for smaller aquariums, not sure about big ones.
204230_1.jpg

He’s probably got dirt on the boss.
That was my first thought.

Good morning everyone, happy Friday!

DMC, I've been up for the past couple hours too. I've been online trying to find a place that will deliver flowers to my mom on Saturday for her b-day. Finally, got that done and it feels like a real accomplishment!

Back
Top Bottom