The Night Watch

bigmrg74

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Clinton Michigan
This thread is for all of those who are staying up a bit late because they know they got some assorted critter that they need to worry about to protect their flock, or are hearing something out there going bump in the night, and to allow us to commiserate and or celebrate when we can do the old three SSS's about that worry.

Saturday night when I came home from work there was a fox out in a horse lot as I pulled in. We're off from the roads at least 200 yards and on the other side of the driveway there's a bean field. out past that horse lot there's an half acre pond, and a little further on from that, there's a creek that runs along a corner of our property, with about an acre there that's just a tangle of brush. I don't think anybody has really been in there in over ten years, short of some idiot HS kids this summer who went off the road and went flying down the embankment over the creek and landed in the brush.

Further up on the creek, there's a couple acre woods that's a little more woodsy and you could move around in, but that's not on our property. Either way, probably a prime restate for most critters who can make a good living on the margins, like foxes and raccoons. Lord knows we've taken out plenty of raccoons because they love to eat cat food, and then poop all over the hay in the hay mow. And that was before I decided I wanted to get chickens this year.

Anyways, heard some chattering out there tonight, so I went out to check the coop, nothing messed with the chicken tractor which is by the house. And went out and set up the live trap. Its currently loaded with marshmallows because we've found that the barn cats will leave those alone while the raccoons love them. That's just sitting by the stairs to the hay mound right now. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I could get to bait the live trap with that would lure in that fox if I was to set it out by the horse lot that the barn cats would leave alone?

Anyways, 12:30 EDT here, and I haven't heard anything more, maybe he went across the road to the old abandon horselot/orchard across the road. Lady that bought the farm across the road really hasn't done much with the place other than around the house and the barn which is mostly storage now. Kinda a shame as it was a pretty nice set up there for a guy who used to have standard breeds there. had a little track that he would train them on, the creek runs thru it with a couple of spots where the horses could get into it for water or even a little swimming hole spot where he could get them a nice cool soak, or go for a little swim/splash around if you wanted to. And he had a few apple trees out in the lots to provide shade and snacks for the horses as well. I don't think any of that has been mowed in over 10 years, so who knows what else has set up shop in there.

Who else is up and is keeping the watch over their flock??

This thread is for all of those who are staying up a bit late because they know they got some assorted critter that they need to worry about to protect their flock, or are hearing something out there going bump in the night, and to allow us to commiserate and or celebrate when we can do the old three SSS's about that worry.

Saturday night when I came home from work there was a fox out in a horse lot as I pulled in. We're off from the roads at least 200 yards and on the other side of the driveway there's a bean field. out past that horse lot there's an half acre pond, and a little further on from that, there's a creek that runs along a corner of our property, with about an acre there that's just a tangle of brush. I don't think anybody has really been in there in over ten years, short of some idiot HS kids this summer who went off the road and went flying down the embankment over the creek and landed in the brush.

Further up on the creek, there's a couple acre woods that's a little more woodsy and you could move around in, but that's not on our property. Either way, probably a prime restate for most critters who can make a good living on the margins, like foxes and raccoons. Lord knows we've taken out plenty of raccoons because they love to eat cat food, and then poop all over the hay in the hay mow. And that was before I decided I wanted to get chickens this year.

Anyways, heard some chattering out there tonight, so I went out to check the coop, nothing messed with the chicken tractor which is by the house. And went out and set up the live trap. Its currently loaded with marshmallows because we've found that the barn cats will leave those alone while the raccoons love them. That's just sitting by the stairs to the hay mound right now. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I could get to bait the live trap with that would lure in that fox if I was to set it out by the horse lot that the barn cats would leave alone?

Anyways, 12:30 EDT here, and I haven't heard anything more, maybe he went across the road to the old abandon horselot/orchard across the road. Lady that bought the farm across the road really hasn't done much with the place other than around the house and the barn which is mostly storage now. Kinda a shame as it was a pretty nice set up there for a guy who used to have standard breeds there. had a little track that he would train them on, the creek runs thru it with a couple of spots where the horses could get into it for water or even a little swimming hole spot where he could get them a nice cool soak, or go for a little swim/splash around if you wanted to. And he had a few apple trees out in the lots to provide shade and snacks for the horses as well. I don't think any of that has been mowed in over 10 years, so who knows what else has set up shop in there.

Who else is up and is keeping the watch over their flock??

Just watching out here.

One way of discouraging raccoons, skunks, possums, etc. is to not leave pet food outdoors. Of course, that doesn't help you if the neighbors feed their pets outside. If you must feed outside, do it on a schedule. After missing a few meals by not showing up, they will come promptly when called.

Just heard a bunch of yowling and yapping off in the distance, maybe a mile or so north of me. kinda sounded like some coyotes tangling with a dog perhaps. haven't heard anybody doing the first S of Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up, but the racket is gone now....

Back
Top Bottom