The odd things chickens do...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by A.T. Hagan, May 23, 2012.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I had the hose out to my sugarcane patch yesterday and the leak in it chanced to end up right in front of the yard hen's cedar tree hangout. As I was coming back from moving the sprinkler I noticed one of the hens playing in the spray from the leak. At least that was what I thought she was doing.

[​IMG]

What it turned out she was really doing was drinking from it! I watched for a couple of minutes as she got herself a good long drink from her own little fountain. Another hen came and did the same. I often run the hose past their tree so now I'm wondering how long they've been doing this.

Now I think I'll give them a go with a nipple waterer and see how they take to it.

What sort of odd or unexpected behaviors do you see with your birds? Post pictures!

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Well, I didn't have time to take a picture, but our chickens chased a rabbit up the street the other day! They are obsessed with my husband's cocker spaniel and stalk him like lovesick teenagers. I should really get a picture of that :)

What clever chickens you have! Bet they enjoy the spray too. How fun that you are growing sugar cane! Do you use it as you would commercial sugar? Not something we grow in WA :)

3. Jenn907

Jenn907 In the Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Wasilla, AK
    As a newbie to chickens, I find that almost everything they do is funny! I never thought that they would be this entertaining to just sit and watch. I call it "Chicken TV". My girls are almost 8 weeks old now. One question I have is how to take a good picture?! They move so fast and are still pretty leery of me so picking them up with one hand and trying to take a picture with the other has proven to be almost impossible. Any suggestions from the veteran BYC folks out there?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Askew hates my orange hat.

[​IMG]

I was amused on how young chickens could find any defect and attack it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love chicken yoga

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chickens are simply fun entertainment!

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Almost. It's used for making cane syrup. Once the juice is expressed the process is akin to making maple syrup. Boil it down until it is thick all the while skimming it to remove impurities. It's something of an art, but the results can be delicious.

If one wanted to boil it down still further it would solidify when cool. Then you would have raw sugar. The sugar you buy in the grocery store starts that way and is then put through considerable refining to get the snowy white crystals we all know (and love).

6. kaykaypw

kaykaypw In the Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Napa, CA
    Silly Chicks!

K

7. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Songster

Dec 6, 2010
    I walked out one day to find my cream legbar having a nice snooze with the silkie's bum on her head!!!!!!!

8. martinnoah

martinnoah In the Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    Last fall a cat was running it went to our chicken coop and got the scare of her life. my rooster was there and one look and it did a back flip and ran away[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: