The Oh-so neighbor!

However, right now is the time of year when the farmers to one side are running the grain dryer on their silo 24/7. It is very loud. When they first turn it on, we can't hear ourselves think outside, then I guess we get used to it and then...deafening silence when they turn it off. Anyway, it beats all my roos all to heck for noise.

Exactamundo! Same here when the neighbor down the hill cuts his acres of grass on Fridays. The tractor noise is deafening, and like everything around, wafts upward to us on our high point. He has to cut his grass, though, not challenging that. It's just life. I'm not at all concerned about my roosters crowing, not at all. City people forget that machinery is noise and for some reason, their brains lock on to rooster noise. They're used to cars, trucks, horns, brakes, snowblowers, loud music, and even dogs, but roosters are supposedly in a different class unto themselves. I just don't get it.​

Quote:
So basically, other people should come before myself? I am not saying to tick other people off, but if I live in an area that I can have a rooster, and I want one, I will have one. And what about the people with barking dogs, screaming kids, yelling, car horns and blasting radios? Should everyone have to get rid of everything because it might bother someone else? I do try to get a long with others, but in the end, I and the ones I love come first.

My neighbors are great! They got chickens first. And a couple of ducks. They let us know right away that they got chickens and that eventually some might crow. They now have a banty and a standard that crow and I love em! Thanks to them, I now have chickens and I'm so excited to hear my Dougie crow. LoL he's trying so hard but hasn't quite gotten the hang of it yet. We also live in the country and hear every noise possible. Our cows. Out pigs. Our chickens. We get to see the neighbors take their horses out for walks sometimes. And some other neighbors occasionally take their alpacas out for walks. It's a great place to live!
Nit-pickers have no place in my woods. They will be told what to expect and then they can carry on their merry way because nothing will change. It will only get worse. We love our chickens and dogs and cats and bunnies and..... well you get the idea.

I regularly hear cows, horses, donkeys, and roos but they are at a distance so it isn't disturbing.

This statement brings up a point that have been pondering, the distance factor. Around me are many, many roosters we hear in the distance, plus of course, cows and donkeys and the occasional peacock. All poultry is legal to have in this rural mountain county and they all call back and forth to each other in the morning and at times during the day. So, what if my immediate neighbor, who hears the roosters all around us in the distance, suddenly decides he wants to make trouble for us because he doesn't like MY roosters crowing nextdoor to him? Why should I divest myself of the enjoyment of my property and country life when others, who just happen to be lucky enough to live further from my nit-picky neighbor, can continue to enjoy theirs? That is just plain wrong. If other county residents can have poultry, so can I. The neighbor who can't stand a legal rooster crowing is living in the wrong place, seems to me.
hu.gif

Well here it is 8:00 am . I'm out feeding the chickens and rabbits with my dog who is barking periodically. Goose season is on again, guns firing on & off since dawn, and scattered groups of geese flying overhead honking and making a ruckus as they decide where to land. As I'm walking to grab some alfalfa out of the field for the bunnies I hear this loud feminine yell out a window across the field......Jasper go to bed!! LMBO......I say to Jasper......."Rise and Shine, good morning everyone....Let go get some breakfast!!" Really, with all the gunfire going off who can sleep especially if you have the windows open. I guess she thought it be better to holler at dog than the hunters in the fields.

Well your neighbor should stay where he is and shut it, if he moved here then he would hear my neighbor's two roos crowing and my 5 (currently) roos crowing, girls cackling everywhere, horses neighing and squealing plus....I would not be as nice to him about him snarky negativity.
lol.png

Oh yes and everyone around here has at least one dog. Hahahahahaha

M.sue :

Well here it is 8:00 am . I'm out feeding the chickens and rabbits with my dog who is barking periodically. Goose season is on again, guns firing on & off since dawn, and scattered groups of geese flying overhead honking and making a ruckus as they decide where to land. As I'm walking to grab some alfalfa out of the field for the bunnies I hear this loud feminine yell out a window across the field......Jasper go to bed!! LMBO......I say to Jasper......."Rise and Shine, good morning everyone....Let go get some breakfast!!" Really, with all the gunfire going off who can sleep especially if you have the windows open. I guess she thought it be better to holler at dog than the hunters in the fields.

Yell back a real cheery. "GOOD MORNING It is a beautiful day!" *snicker*​

M.sue :

It's funny that you mention the hunters. The properties behind us are between 7 to 11 acres. Then behind them is country with properties a couple of miles away. This past few months I have heard more shooting than ever. I don't know if it's shooting at javalina or skunk or just practice shooting. I don't think it's still dove season. But my hubby and I have remarked about it several times. And omg you would just die laughing. I have a couple of loud hens. You don't hear them till it's light out and they just bock to make an announcement here and there. My hubby calls it the egg alarm. I think it's Mr. Rogers aka Falco, Gandolf, and possibly Pigeodo (Big Red) that are the announcers. ODB is just a chatty girl. All in all I would prefer hearing a roo than the shooting.​

Farm sounds/smells/sights are to be expected when living in the country.
Yet neighbors should be considerate of one another, regardless
of where they live.

Going back to the original post....if your neighbor was really annoyed at
your rooster, I'd say he handled it better than most people would have.
You handled it well also.

spot

Quote:
Yell back a real cheery. "GOOD MORNING It is a beautiful day!" *snicker*

LOL.....I did when I turned to Jasper and said..."Rise & Shine, Good Morning Everyone, Let's go get some breakfast!!" I said it very chipper and louder than my normal voice.....snicker, snicker with a smile!!

Back
Top Bottom