The Old Folks Home

My mother was pretty strict about out diets too. She cooked, and/or I ate at my grandmother's. Wholesome foods, they picked, and put up, or butchered themselves. While she did bake a cake, pie, brownies, cookies, or make pudding sometimes, it was not a steady thing. She made them from scratch. No cake mixes, or boxes of pudding at our house. Breakfast cereals were rare. She made our breakfast every morning. I was grown the first time I tasted pizza, and pop tarts. I can't stand pop tarts. 1 small bottle of soda, that's how they came back then, was allowed on a weekly basis. No more than that. Usually we would get one, and put ice cream in with it. A small bottle of soda made 3 Black Outs, Black Cows, or whatever you want to call them. Snacks were grapes, berries, oranges, tangerines, plums, celery, carrot sticks, and things like that. No junk food.

I too got very few cavities. My teeth were strong, and in good shape. While I had some allergies, and did get the typical childhood illnesses, I did not get colds. I was 14 the first time I got flu, and I was overseas.

We never had soda or snacks in the house as kids. Heck, I never even saw pizza until I was 14! BUT as a result, IMHO, the body is better for it. Even though I'm rather heavy, blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol haven't been a problem. Dental-wise, I had my first cavity at age 30. I think early diet wires the body. Thanks, Mom!
My Mom read a book in the 1960s called diet for a small planet. She followed it instead of the food pyramid stuff!

We have all been fairly healthy too. Soda was a real treat and very rare growing up. We only had candy on rare occasions and goodies were home made. We bake 6 or 7 loaves of bread a week too.

We made our own pizza and did not buy if from a pizza place.

My mother was pretty strict about out diets too. She cooked, and/or I ate at my grandmother's.
Wholesome foods, they picked, and put up, or butchered themselves.
I too got very few cavities. My teeth were strong, and in good shape. While I had some allergies, and did get the typical childhood illnesses, I did not get colds. I was 14 the first time I got flu, and I was overseas.
We also ate healthy- did have desserts on occasion. We took Cod LIver Oil pills every day. I was a nurse and was exposed to a large amount of germs but don't get colds or the flu but once every 10 years or so. As an old lady, I can say that I am pretty healthy. Do take blood pressure med, but everyone in the family does. I still do my own yard work- chicken duties included and housework. So, I guess Mom was right - eat healthy, stay healthy.

We also ate healthy- did have desserts on occasion. We took Cod LIver Oil pills every day. I was a nurse and was exposed to a large amount of germs but don't get colds or the flu but once every 10 years or so. As an old lady, I can say that I am pretty healthy. Do take blood pressure med, but everyone in the family does. I still do my own yard work- chicken duties included and housework. So, I guess Mom was right - eat healthy, stay healthy.
My Generation was past the cod liver oil time.

Yep, you'll live healthier if you avoid things with added dyes and preservatives.

Not in the cod liver oil generation, either, but there was an old bottle in the medicine cabinet, along with mercurochrome. When sick we got a healthy slathering of Vick's Vaporub, on the chest and in the nostrils. Washed our faces with Phisohex, Happy Face Washing Cream, and Noxema. Sea and Ski lotion for a day outdoors... Can you just smell it now? ;)

4 inches of snow on top of an inch of ice and an additional two inches of snow.

4 inches of wet...soggy snow with my nets all on the ground under it....:hit.

@perchie.girl, I am so happy for you! I knew you could master this challenge. I knew you have the strength within you. So in short, I will simply say....
1579896353696.png

Back
Top Bottom