The Old Folks Home

Hi folks, just got in from the coop project. I got the hole cut out for the pop door and invented a few new swear words along the way.

I did manage to get the sleeve cut and put together along with the bevel for the inside of the coop. I think I said a few prayers also because what ever is holding that shed together has got to have Devine Province on it's side. DH seems to think that it's the layers of building material we have put on it. He may be right., LOL

One surprise, I did find a new rat hole and burrow in the rooster run of all places. No food outside there so I don't know what it is trying to accomplish. Whatever, a bait holder is going out tonight. If it's looking for a banquet, so be it, I can provide that. Ramik with peanut butter does the trick every time.

All you folks out west, stay safe. The change in wind (it's out of the east here also,) has given us blue skies today. Lots of wind though but hey, can't have it all.

Hi folks, just got in from the coop project. I got the hole cut out for the pop door and invented a few new swear words along the way.

I did manage to get the sleeve cut and put together along with the bevel for the inside of the coop. I think I said a few prayers also because what ever is holding that shed together has got to have Devine Province on it's side. DH seems to think that it's the layers of building material we have put on it. He may be right., LOL

One surprise, I did find a new rat hole and burrow in the rooster run of all places. No food outside there so I don't know what it is trying to accomplish. Whatever, a bait holder is going out tonight. If it's looking for a banquet, so be it, I can provide that. Ramik with peanut butter does the trick every time.

All you folks out west, stay safe. The change in wind (it's out of the east here also,) has given us blue skies today. Lots of wind though but hey, can't have it all.
Some years rats move in from the fields this time of the year.

Yep and we do have fields. In fact I asked my husband where he thought they were coming from and he just motioned to the pasture and the woods beyond.

Rats are opportunistic that's for sure.

What is so funny is that this silly animal is burrowing under the chain link fence instead of just marching through the holes. Okay, so we don't have the worlds brightest rats here and labs aren't busting down the doors to buy them from us for test purposes but they are smart enough to know where they can find a free meal.

Yep and we do have fields. In fact I asked my husband where he thought they were coming from and he just motioned to the pasture and the woods beyond.

Rats are opportunistic that's for sure.

What is so funny is that this silly animal is burrowing under the chain link fence instead of just marching through the holes. Okay, so we don't have the worlds brightest rats here and labs aren't busting down the doors to buy them from us for test purposes but they are smart enough to know where they can find a free meal.
That is so true!

Luckily a lot of houses have been built between the fields and our house now so they do not seem to make it here anymore

When our area got sewers and water brought in, all of that brought on a rat invasion. Knock on wood they didn't come across the easement to us. But a couple of blocks away where my BF lived had a loads of them.

When his father found a rat hole he poured gas on top and then threw his cigar in there.
Foom!! no more rats ! A little too flamboyant for my taste. Gruesome.:sick

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the bucket trap method they show on youtube? The mice or rats fall in and drown (gruesome). Used to use the sticky traps - laid them out and used just a toothpick to put a tiny dab of peanut butter in the middle of the trap - worked well. But even more gruesome than the water traps.

Found one mouse 3/4 of him stuck to the trap- trying to get loose, tore his stomach open and bled all over the trap. Couldn't handle anymore of that. I felt just sick over it.

When our area got sewers and water brought in, all of that brought on a rat invasion. Knock on wood they didn't come across the easement to us. But a couple of blocks away where my BF lived had a loads of them.

When his father found a rat hole he poured gas on top and then threw his cigar in there.
Foom no more rats ! A little too flamboyant for my taste. Gruesome.:sick

Maybe I shouldn't love that but IMHO rats and mice are right down there along with ticks. No earthly use for them other than to spread disease. Lyme ticks first vector is mice and rats.

So rodents along with ticks just need to die.

DH pointed out to me that maybe our rats aren't as stupid as we think they are as they may be burrowing under the fence in order to evade the hot wire around the run. One tunnel is in front of the hot wire and another is where the wire is a bit higher.

Okay, maybe not the worlds stupidest rats but they still fall for the old bait coated with peanut butter....I hope.

Has anyone tried the bucket trap method they show on youtube? The mice or rats fall in and drown (gruesome). Used to use the sticky traps - laid them out and used just a toothpick to put a tiny dab of peanut butter in the middle of the trap - worked well. But even more gruesome than the water traps.

Found one mouse 3/4 of him stuck to the trap- trying to get loose, tore his stomach open and bled all over the trap. Couldn't handle anymore of that. I felt just sick over it.
I was going to try the bucket method last year and got buckets for it but then I felt bad doing that and didn’t go through. :oops: drowning is a horrible way to go! Even for vermin! Couldn’t do the glue thing either. I am too much of a softie for either I guess. :lau :oops:

Back
Top Bottom