The Old Folks Home

You know you are getting old when you wake up in the morning and have a big bowl of all bran for breakfast...and actually look forward to it!

Happy Monday everyone! Nice fire in the fireplace, mug of coffee close by. Has everyone besides me realized that we are 2/3rds into October already? Geesh where does the time go?

We gave possum face an hour and went out and checked. He/she was gone from under the steps and hopefully has crossed our yard and porch off of it's fine dining list.

One of the cattle dogs has dragged one of their beds through the pop door and outside. No, we have no idea how they do this stuff but cattle dogs seem to have a gift for doing the unusual.

We're hitting the low 40's at night, but I think we must've had a chill wind blow through as my winter squash plants have blackish limp leaves on the stalks. Hadn't planned on harvesting yet the pumpkins and Hopi squash, but might have to. Been working clearing out the veggie compound. Vacuumed leaves out of the orchard and mowed the lawn and layered the debris in the compost bin.

Harvested the Oaxacan corn. It's got the most amazing hues of deep jade, teal, forest green and lime. Don't know that I'll plant it again, though. I *really* like the Maize Morado for flavor and the unique royal purple hue of the baked goods.

Chickens not laying at all. Slackers!

Saw a brief glimpse of a coyote outside the veggie compound yesterday and last night we were serenaded by many. It sounded like sirens. The greyhounds were perturbed.

Pictured: Oaxacan green corn
IMG_2413.JPG

Monday hasn't started well. Woke up with hip pain. Not unexpected as I'm older and it's getting colder and, well, I do have arthritis...just elsewhere. Sigh. Pretty soon I'll awaken and just have to slather my whole body in analgesic goo.

Then, when grinding the morning's coffee, there was that horrible noise of loose plastic in the machinery and a drag on the mechanisms. Luckily, I happened to have a spare grinder, so the dour mood was short-lived.

We're hitting the low 40's at night, but I think we must've had a chill wind blow through as my winter squash plants have blackish limp leaves on the stalks. Hadn't planned on harvesting yet the pumpkins and Hopi squash, but might have to. Been working clearing out the veggie compound. Vacuumed leaves out of the orchard and mowed the lawn and layered the debris in the compost bin.

Harvested the Oaxacan corn. It's got the most amazing hues of deep jade, teal, forest green and lime. Don't know that I'll plant it again, though. I *really* like the Maize Morado for flavor and the unique royal purple hue of the baked goods.

Chickens not laying at all. Slackers!

Saw a brief glimpse of a coyote outside the veggie compound yesterday and last night we were serenaded by many. It sounded like sirens. The greyhounds were perturbed.

Pictured: Oaxacan green corn
View attachment 2378844
nice looking corn!

My two oldest have stopped laying and are moulting. The two blue egg layers are still laying. I expect them to stop soon though

My three ladies that have been laying are still laying.. A few have yet to start since I got them in July. Mollie was in the worst shape possible being bare backed and bare necked. I figure by spring all 5 of my adult/laying age hens will be back in the swing of things.. Not sure if they will stop laying or not down here.
If not using light, It will be a bit later for them to stop down south.

First year pullets will often lay through the winter.

I'm only getting 2-3 eggs a day. Even a few days with 0 butt nuggets in the old egg basket. I'm surprised that there are still a couple 3 laying. I have one young hen, hatched late last summer, who hasn't begun to molt yet so she may be one of the few that are still putting out eggs.

My big Ameraucana hen who is 2 years old now and still lays 5 HUGE blue green eggs a week suddenly started to lay fairy eggs late in the fall. Finally saw one that seriously was as big as one of her droppings laying under the roost bars and then no more eggs from her.

Doing pretty well. 4 of my grandkids and their parents are visiting here. Tonight I gave the older two a how to build fire lesson, followed by roasting marshmallows.
And then taught them how to use a fire extinguisher?

My two oldest have stopped laying and are moulting. The two blue egg layers are still laying. I expect them to stop soon though
I have only 2 still laying, getting 1 and sometimes 2 a day. Some of the girls have come out of their moult looking fine but since I don't light the coop I don't expect any eggs from them until the end of February. 3 of the 5 EEs and both Columbian Wyandottes currently look like they have a running battle going with a plucker.

Back
Top Bottom