The Old Folks Home

The thing is, to my knowledge I never had CP so it surprised the heck out of me when I was diagnosed with shingles. The first symptom I noticed was the day DH and I had to do a day trip. Half way into the trip I couldn't sit comfortably in the car seat. I told my husband that it felt like a spring was going bad in the seat. Next day I had the rash and could hardly sit down. Went to the docs after work thinking I had an infected cyst on my bum. His nurse took one look and said, honey, you have the shingles. Next day I called the health department to see if it was safe for me to work and when I told them that to my knowledge I had never had chicken pox. They told me that you can have silent chicken pox where you will have flu like symptoms but no major rash. Maybe one or two bumps that may look like skeeter bites or pimples.

A few years earlier my dad had the mother of all shingles outbreaks. He had blisters on him the size of saucers. The only thing I can think is that I had silent CP from being exposed to his shingles.
You could have had chickenpox before the age of 3 and would not remember it.

Hard to guess I am with the others does not matter if you had it can get again
and it is painfull
I took a test to see if I was immune to measles. I am very immune to both types LOL! My siblings are not and we had the immunizations at the same time. My Mom said it is possible that I had measles before the age of three. Luckily I do not have to worry about measles!

everyone that was born before CP vaccine was given should get a shingles vaccine

I recall when chicken pox went around our kindergarten class. (Thanks, Mark B.!) I didn't have it too bad and had all the pink calomine polka dots, mainly on my back. Dad had a horrific case of the shingles that encompassed half his head...looked like he was wearing a dark purple "Phantom of the Opera" mask. Nasty skin shedding, too.
Mom (heavy German/Neanderthal blood) had an incredible immune system. Rarely saw her ill and she never caught anything from anybody else, but she did have a go-round with breast cancer and later osteoporosis, and Parkinson's (or her lack of mitigating it) was her final undoing.

This Shingrix vax I got a huge angry red welt that has since subsided... Well, the tenderness of it has and some of the swelling. Still have a red patch on the upper arm. Managed to do minimal maintenance chores today out in the yard (watering, chicken chores), but opted for yet another afternoon nap rather than try to gather the wandering leaves.

I recall when chicken pox went around our kindergarten class. (Thanks, Mark B.!) I didn't have it too bad and had all the pink calomine polka dots, mainly on my back. Dad had a horrific case of the shingles that encompassed half his head...looked like he was wearing a dark purple "Phantom of the Opera" mask. Nasty skin shedding, too.
Mom (heavy German/Neanderthal blood) had an incredible immune system. Rarely saw her ill and she never caught anything from anybody else, but she did have a go-round with breast cancer and later osteoporosis, and Parkinson's (or her lack of mitigating it) was her final undoing.

This Shingrix vax I got a huge angry red welt that has since subsided... Well, the tenderness of it has and some of the swelling. Still have a red patch on the upper arm. Managed to do minimal maintenance chores today out in the yard (watering, chicken chores), but opted for yet another afternoon nap rather than try to gather the wandering leaves.
My Dad had a very good immune system--which might have led to him getting MS. Who knows?

I hope the shingrix booster does as well as the first shot did for me.

Dd #1 has been having a sore throat, and earache. At first, we thought it might be from her allergies. Yesterday, she began running fever, and her throat on fire. Probably strep throat. She felt so bad yesterday evening, she mentioned going to the E.R., and I suggested the local Walk-In-Clinic. I wasn't sure how good they are in this area, but the next town over, where we lived before, they were really good. She headed out. Later on, when she got home, she was diagnosed with strep throat, and an ear infection.

They prescribed the medicines for it. She couldn't get the prescriptions filled, because none of the area pharmacies were open that. Since the first Covid lockdown, all the pharmacies have adopted shorter hours. Anyway, she proceeded to tell me that she ended up having to go to 2 Walk-In-Clinics. The first one she went to, insisted she get a Covid test, before they would see her, and it was $100.00 out of pocket, since it was not covered by her insurance. She told them no, and that she was sure it wasn't Covid, however, she suspected it was strep throat. They refused to see her, without doing the $100.00 Covid test, but sent her to another place, where the Covid test was not mandatory. She said the doctor there seemed pretty good. He did the usual looking at ears, nose, throat, and ordered the strep test. No big surprise when it came back positive.

Yes, I had chicken pox twice as a child. Yes, awhile back I got a quarter sized place on my butt. Not knowing what it was, I put some antibiotic ointment on it, figuring whatever it was, happened while doing coop chores. In a few days, it didn't clear up as well as I thought it should. I had to go to the doctor anyway, so while I was there, I had her look at it. Yes, it was shingles. No, it was not going to be painful, and would clear up in about a week. No it would probably not come back, unless I went through the same health scenario that had brought it on, which was highly unlikely. If it does come back though, I was assured there would be no pain, and it would clear up quickly, just like the first time.

Back
Top Bottom