The Old Folks Home

CapricornFarm

Chicken addict
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2010
Southern Virginia
The other trees the chickens liked to sit under lost all their leaves. We had a killing frost last week so all my flowers and plants are gone. They used to run from one hiding area to the next. I open the door under the porch to give them an extra escape. We are in town
We are in the middle of 13 acres of woods.

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
That one is really big! Maybe the bird I saw wasnt a hawk but it sure freaked out the chickens! Shouldn't hawks be migrating by now?There's tons of birds around because of all our bushes and trees. For awhile an owl used to sit there to.
Actually that particular hawk is slightly less than crow size. Hawks are migrating now, but not all hawks migrate. Many are permanent or semi permanent residents - especially if they find a food source.

lovesfarms

Songster
Sep 6, 2016
Actually that particular hawk is slightly less than crow size. Hawks are migrating now, but not all hawks migrate. Many are permanent or semi permanent residents - especially if they find a food source.
I do think it was a hawk, the chickens should know and this morning they didn't want to come out to me. Do they kill and carry off chickens when they are the size of smaller then chickens?I thought they were safe from Hawks under those pine trees.

Top Bottom