The Old Folks Home

How have you all been? Battened down and ready for winter, I hope.
Not really... but we rarely manage to get ready...

:idunno

Kid 4 and 5, and now me have been running through a 2 week cold thing... annoying...

For a couple weeks I had 3 kids, and kid 3 was only signed up for 3 college classes... so LOTS was getting done...

But then kid 4 started worked 3 to 5 afternoons a week...

And then kid 3 picked up a job north of ANCHORAGE! :barnie So he now frantically tries to do all college stuff in the span of 3 or 4 days... then drives up north... comes back 3 or 4 days later :thAlso... kid bought a motorcycle... for "the gas milage" since his truck gets MAYBE 12 miles to the gallon. And yes, I have gone over with him that he is NOT driving the motorcycle on ice. But... he is 18, soon to be 19 so truly thinks he is immortal... that age ya know.

And finally, with fall, kid 4's workload has reduced.... but then kid 4 got sick.. so he was out for about 2 weeks... and now kid 5 and I finally caught the cold kid 4 had... at least kid 4 is feeling better, and his work load is lower ...

And tomorrow we drive up an hour and a half so kid 4 can take a driver's test!

And kid 4 has NOT spent the time to properly retape and bondo the trash truck he gets to drive.... at this point it is a bit cold to do any of that work... :idunno I guess he gets the joys of drips on his face and back while he drives. Also, icy mud splashing his feet. Yeah, good times. But... he was warned... natural consequences...

Ah... so clearly kid 1 and 2 are still gone.

Kid 2 has figured out how to cost us almost zero. So glory hallelujah! He is RA in a dorm, so gets free housing and a free meal plan. And FINALLY the school cafeteria is better about serving gluten free food (he is celiac).

Kid 1 is now in seminary. He made some sound about wanting to come home for Christmas. :lau ha! As if! Well... maybe if the ferry runs at the right times... but no way are we spending the money for plane tickets.

Ok... that is all the news from here. :frow

@Alaskan, I'm always impressed when people can organize chaos. :bow:th

So glad to hear that your kids are doing great and out there experiencing life. Try not to worry too much about them. You all put everything good into them that you could think of. It's up to them to set their feet upon that path and see where life leads them.

Hope you all get to feeling better soon. We have over 15 cords of oak and hickory harvested and ready for this winter. A personal best for us. Plus DH asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year and I said a Ryobi lipo battery powered chain saw, sized for a woman to use.

He was hesitant knowing my perchance for doing myself bodily harm but finally caved. So I learned how to handle my little 16 inch chain saw and got to help process the wood over and above splitting it and being a log chain 'winch/wench' handler.

It was a good summer.

@getaclue, hoping that Ian is kind to you all but the way it sounds it doesn't look likely. Stay safe and I'll be keeping you all in my prayers.

@Sally PB if you can see into a car via the rear window here you know it's a 'city' car. I like the black and tan idea only here instead of Guinness it would be Hound Dog. As in Black and Tan Hound.

That's how we tell country folks from townies here, Cap. By the amount of dirt on the cars. Over two miles of gravel and dirt roads between us and the nearest blacktop. Dirt is a way of life.

Hi all. Everybody behaving here at the home? Haven't been around for a while but have missed you guys.

Cap, are you feeling better?
No, still feeling lousy and hubby always acts like he doesn't believe i am sick. He really can be a jerk sometimes.

And kid 4 has NOT spent the time to properly retape and bondo the trash truck he gets to drive.... at this point it is a bit cold to do any of that work... :idunno I guess he gets the joys of drips on his face and back while he drives. Also, icy mud splashing his feet. Yeah, good times. But... he was warned... natural consequences...
I gather you don't have vehicle inspections there? Here any opening into the cabin will fail the inspection.

Glad the college is doing better on the gluten free food. The school where DD1 went was EXCELLENT dealing with her dietary issues both voluntary and "sucks to be you" involuntary.

@CapricornFarm I'm sorry you are feeling lousy, you sadly do that far too often. Or is it more that you feel good far too infrequently.

Back
Top Bottom