The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop

Awesome go at this...Yee haw, make me happy y'all wanna play! [​IMG]

OK...

You got number 1 right as rain...

The quote of CC's mentions using RC Cola as the bottle but here in Canuckville...we would be using bottles like these...

[​IMG]

Canada Dry pop bottles
    Look at the left one and hold that vision for a bit here...the one on the right is what we think of as usual for Canada Dry as in Ginger Ale...Not sure myself if the Ginger Beer was alcoholic, but think not...but hold that vision for a bit as I said...

Number 2 is a NO and sorry on that ...I expect this. This one is way TOUGH and quite frankly, I don't expect ANYONE to get her right...no matter...here are a few more pics to help...since photos are so not helpful at times...more views are better to help you all to guess on NUMBER TWO...

[​IMG]

This pic will help to show size and like chain mail...part of it flops over...good grippy handle but floppy moving links of metal.​

[​IMG]

Vanna White, uh Fixins here with the fluffy puffy fur to show item number two... So can I beat the stuffing outta this dust bunny maker...maybe not a good thing to do to an old dog, eh!

[​IMG]
    Rug beater and item No. 2

You could try to beat a furred up furry sheddy carpet (she HATES us removing the puffies--hates it but we still do it but slowly over time!) but while it might hurt the old dog...it won't help much to beat a carpet with...too small, too floppy, and so keep on thinking...not an easy one! I know you will GROAN big time when I say what it is...but really, it is a kinda unique vintage thing ma bob that is pretty clever but not really made like this no more now. Very practical item.

Number 3 is perfectly correct...good for you...obviously you were never as spoilt in your life as you should be...at least in my mind's take. Wash day was indeed a DAY of intensive labours...ha ha ha... I have seen films about Victorian Wash days and holy moley...work out or what...so very glad for many of our modern day conveniences! A luxury is a wash machine and dryer though you cannot beat wash with laundry softerner hung out to dry on the line! That is unless your mean hearted cheapskate Aunt does up yer hung on the line jeans with NO fabric softener in the rinse and you are trying not to tear the hide on your legs off putting that stand up on its very own pair of jeans on! Ouch ouch ouch...dang it all...OUCH! [​IMG]

Number 4; Scott takes care of perfectly! [​IMG]

Your guesses are near perfection too, Scott...1 and 3 are right...2 is not and is still a mystery as I expected it would be.

Number 4 ABSOLUTELY correct! For those that have not had the pleasure of real farm milk...the cream rises to the top in those big ol' milk bottles. You use this special cream spoon to scoop out the cream...remember the old saying, "the cream rises to the top" well the shape of this bent spoon is perfect to scoop out the cream and ladle that into your coffee...num num...!!!!

Rick still raves about an old farmy couple he knows and use to visit that puts on a spread on the table of fresh dairy-the old man retires each and every milk cow to his pastures and not made into baloney...he respects what she gives so much that she deserves to live out her days unproductive munching on clover for what she has given so freely to his family!

You lucky dog you Scott...for you to know the cream spoon is to show you have also enjoyed real proper dairy too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is your classic butter dish on the farm with milk suppliers...no worries about what butter might do to your figure...I figure you worked it off so hard, you needed all those calories to make it thru chores in a day. Fall over from fatigue without ENERGY to burn.

I still use butter (not on my bread for sands though...try to behave and cut back a tad) and eat eggs...all thru the scares of some scientific study that real food is bad in some way. Butter and eggs are real and I won't switch to say margarine. Anyone remember when you mixed yellow dye in the margarine? Rick does...that is an old practise they don't do any more I believe.

CC: I thought # 4 was a gravy boat ladle.

That then is completely MY FAULT for not showing a size relation to something besides the spoon (posted the butter dish with cover with a knife to show perspective in size)...these cream "ladles" had to fit down the neck of a milk bottle to ladle out the cream from...go for the GOOD STUFF! [​IMG]

Number 5, agreed, many a medicine bottle was this colour in glass to hide the contents from light...but in this case, moxies_chickienuggets is a tad closer to the real answer.

The hint I have supplied in the Canada Dry bottles is found looking at the Ginger Beer...no, not a beer bottle...same glass I expect found in medicine bottles and them old glass stubbies for beer...so close...think think think...

You all will grin when you get it...so obvious you will feel the burn of "Oops...I shoulda got that one!" I love that feeling, that feeling of "duh and better try harder next time" but also that feeling of learning that little nugget of information to apply to another problem...should we find the same sorta situation happen in future!

I agree, Axton did write tons of good tunes and if I was left to guess who wrote what, many times I would be wrong...we tend to "label" an artist having only one style...acting, painting, songs, carving, writing...yadda yadda..everyone has to fit some place.

Another one to get me is SPLIT WING and if you think about it, sure it inhibits a chicken flying as well as a properly made up set of wings should be, but quite frankly...how many really good at flying chooks does one want? I have the heritage turkeys and many people don't like how much flying they can be capable of. Heritage turkeys are curious to a fault at times and having them fly about to investigate everything and anything...not always welcome OR good for their healths! [​IMG]

Yard bantams (thankfully small) can be quite adventurous and get themselves into all sorts of trouble too...see this is Booted Bantam (scrawny but great plentiful egg producers) cockerel BQ here...found him in all sorts of places in the Man Porch; on the BQ--bad choice; too suggestive, found him on the garbage can-good suggestion, tastes BAD, and the one that makes me grin even today...years later...a heated bucket I had stored on a table ...

[​IMG]

BQ - Buckata Chicken

Just recently there was a qualifying meet for the Ko-Shamo that are REQUIRED to have split wing... Now don't that shake the sugar tree some. I love when something we have had drilled into our brains suddenly tosses everything on its ear. And what an awesome way to learn about how it is inherited IF we want it or don't want it. [​IMG]

Earlobes that are white or red, these side sprigs, so like the chicken cares...indeed actually hens tend to choose mates with the biggest rack...biggest head gear means despite all odds, the male is able to carry about excessive "baggage" and therefore like a peacock's tail, despite it being a disadvantage (makes him less nimble to fly away from danger, more noticeable to predators!), this MALE is strong and able and shows off what a capable fellow he is by surviving and thriving despite an obvious disadvantage. Hens want males that will replicate strong babes that will prosper and are SURVIVORS! This ensures all the resources they put out to produce the next generation will carry on and not be wasted. And do not kid ourselves, a hen can expel semen from a male she does not prefer. She's in charge to degrees many of us are not aware of. Makes me grin that we truly ARE at the mercy of the preferences of these BIRD BRAINS! Bribery...lots of greens, treats, candy corns...yes, bribery thru the BELLY! Please humour our mere human frivolities.... [​IMG]

Hee hee...you know in reality us Canadians and our EIGHT MONTHS of winter in the igloo has resulted in an evolutionary selection process that results in excessive politeness... [​IMG]

Under that white skin and paled exterior is a raging case of cabin fever just chewing on us to get out. We bite our tongues and say lots of "please's" and "thank you's" and we are even well known for hunting down the owners of lost wallets and returning them fully intact with all the contents there (another side effect of cabin fever, suffer forgetfulness and ability to function properly in public places!). We return wallets (Rick lost one and it was turned in with $800 cash...not abnormal) because we know WE are gonna have a daft moment ourselves at some point and hope what goes round, comes back.

We are polite too because we are so afraid of scaring off other human companionship that we are polite to the extreme because we are basically lonely and don't want to pee on anyone that might entertain our company. "Please like me...in all my weirdness!!" LOL

It don't mean that we don't fall apart and get lude and rude... Rick has again been working far too many hours and this means stuff that comes out of his mouth is not fit for the Public to overhear.

Hmmm, at the vintage vehicle swap yesterday and he looks at this vintage sign and says simply...

[​IMG]
    "Hmm, lookit the sign advertising Outdoor Women?" [​IMG]

I have to keep an eye on him and steer him in the right direction to keep him half civil in public places, especially around the more tender ears...his attitude is that THEIR minds should not GO there if they are so pristine and proper...Agh... He makes me laugh though...he is still polite but just bubbling under the surface...is trouble, trouble waiting to surface and make a scene. He don't mean it but well, tired is tired and the more tired he becomes the more saviour faire hits the ditch. Not getting better any time soon...he got called out yesterday afternoon and got home at 10:30 last night. Late dinner, late day...gonna kill him but well, when you know how to spend $, how can you have it both ways I guess...Sigh.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

- Edit to add photo of rug beater and item No. 2

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Tara....I have no idea on #4.....as I was a city kid from the 60's. I don't even remember seeing a milk truck!! Nor milk bottles.
    And #2- I have seen one somewhere before.....in all of my 52 years.....but for the life of cannot remember where or what it was.

3. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Well you are a country woman at heart then...that's all I gotta say! Hee hee... [​IMG]

Should I wait a bit longer and let a few more guess on #2 and #5 before I spill the beans?

Took this one today...on our fuel stand...makes me laugh...

[​IMG]

Yes, nothing more THROAT EASY than smoking Buckingham cigarettes and getting throat CANCER! [​IMG]

So much for truth in advertising--like we knew better at the time!. I remember seeing ads that showed women painting cupboards with DDT...making them BUG free...yes...so very good for you!
    [​IMG]
    I will wait a bit to see if any want to guess on 2 & 5 and then post the answers. I am hoping #5 gets answered...you are so gonna groan! I know I did! [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

4. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Ok,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while... not sure if I'm ready to call myself an Old Folk... but I wanted to take a stab at #2 and #5. Is number 2 an egg beater? Is number 5 for buttermilk? Or else iodine? Just guesses...

5. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Both are good guesses, but I don't get to say yes to either...sorry. [​IMG]

I do like the egg beater guess for #2...that could be a use but not the original one. I bet it would beat up on an egg really well. Tee Hee... [​IMG]

Number 5 again, close...and keep on the "got milk" theme...so far buttermilk, no, (& definitely not iodine)...so far milk bottle, close but not quite...so...keep thinking dairy. That should tip the scales and get someone on the right track.

Tara

- edit, can't spell today...

6. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Is number two some kind of strainer? Maybe to pour hot, boiling berries over to get the juice but not the pulp? And......still guessing on number five, fun quiz though! I love all your antiques, I'm quite attracted to them myself. Love the fancy chicken rolling papers and machine!

7. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    You make me laugh in such a fun way! [​IMG]

In the kindest of senses, I can only imagine me and this item trying to strain berries. I truly think you need to start the truck and keep it running...for taking me to ER when I BURN MYSELF trying to keep the chain mail in some sorta holdable fashion! All I see is hot boiling berries bubbling and rolling about in a gloppy mess all over my hands and arms... "Please no...dunna make me use that to strain berries. It burns..." [​IMG]

Glad you like the rest of the junk I have. Rick and I have a roll yer eyes thing...we chant our mantra..."Bring out your JUNK...watch the Higginses buy it and drag it all home!" [​IMG]

I like old stuff...I like me, Rick, the dogs...OLD stuff...maybe useless old stuff but old is good...old can be so much better! LOL

OK OK...gonna throw all cautions to the winds, spill the beans, and not cry over it--<<& that's a hint in itself too>>. Give probably the FINAL hint on No. 5 because it's just gotta get named or the suspense will kill me if someone does not shout it out! What ever then is stored in item No. 5?

No. 5 - HINT: So one of the oldest of all the dairy breeds is the Braunvieh or Brown Swiss cow and these Brown Swiss cows give what kinda milk (I know I've given it away now...so heck..."how now brown cow....") or at least every kid that's ever drunk this kind of milk believes you when you tell them this big fib (or is it really all a big fib, eh?)! [​IMG]

Keep guessing, I'm so [​IMG] someone at least gets the moo moo one!

Tara

8. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Well,

Chocolate milk would have been my next guess, but I figured that buttermilk was more common than chocolate milk and maybe they would have used clear bottles so you could see the chocolate?

Also, I figured that maybe it was brown so you couldn't see clearly through the bottle.

#2 to make suds so you could do the wash?

9. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    #5 = Are you trying to say Chocolate Milk Jug?

10. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    And two minutes later...

Thank the stars...thought I was gonna bust one! [​IMG]

Yes...CHOCOLATE MILK!

[​IMG]

Could not post the front of the bottle...said dairies and the label said it plain and simple. Calls it a "chocolate drink" but then BF not less than 2%...as in butterfat and comes from the Calgary Alberta dairy.

[​IMG]

YAH!

Originally Posted by bluesub:
    Oh my...you are getting very warm...hot indeedy...you are SO close that I had better.... [​IMG]

Tara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by