The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks.

When I built that smaller one I figured, if I sold the place, someone could easily use it as a really nice dog kennel.

You do so many things like I do but you have more space and less concern about neighbors than I.
    Luckily, most of the year, people can't really see what I'm doing here.
    As for the panels you refer to, there were 6 of them in the basement when we bought the house. They were the only things down there. (the previous owner was afraid of spiders [even more than I] and never went into the basement).
    I already had the chain link dog kennel but rather than put it right up against the coop, I added another man door to the kennel and moved it far enough away to use the panels as Dutch doors. I welded up some hinges and voila, I had a walk thru breezeway between the coop and run. It served several purposes. It creates a separate pen area if needed. It makes the pen larger. Since the bee hives are on the other side of the chain link kennel and in the case I'm not home and someone else needs to get into the coop, they can walk through the breezeway to get to the coop's man door without walking past the hives.

The shingles are 'architectural' type asphalt. They're the same type and color I use on my front and back porch as well as the bigger brooder house. I believe they're 35 year shingles.
    All my other buildings - including the house and carriage house- are EPDM rubber roofs. Lightweight, last forever and simple to install.

Architectural shingles are very attractive on steep roofs but not so much on low slope roofs. Low slope look better with standard flat 3 tab shingles. Did I also mention I used to be a roofer?

As for the portability, other than the building that is on a concrete floor/foundation, all of my coops can be picked up and moved or loaded onto a truck with a forklift.

You may also notice in the picture that there is 3" PVC leading from the downspout portions of the guttering. They route water that would have made the pen sloppy into the first two stages of compost bins. The white pipe also simulates the trim board on the original building.

Here's another addition after the original build. An automatic water system that I can fill without even walking into the coop.

The white fitting is a cap on a hose fitting. The light green is a drain valve that closes under pressure but opens without pressure so it allows air into the system when not pressurized by adding water.
    [​IMG]

I unscrew the plug on the white pvc, remove the drain valve and replace it with a stub that, when the system is full, pours the water into the compost system.
    I can hook up a water hose to fill the system, turn water on slowly and go about my gardening. When I see water pouring into the compost I know the system is full.
    [​IMG]
    This is a 9 gallon system. The horizontal 3/4 pipe is the input. The arched pipe is the outlet. The 4 inch pipe has a row of nipple waterers.
    I'm planning on changing it to horizontal nipples.
    Does all that make sense?
    [​IMG]

Did I also say that I tend to overthink things before I do them?

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Darn nice coops. Mine is super ugly. Had big blue tarps swinging on it all winter. Put some ugly spray expanding hole filler around the rusted parts of the roof to try to cut down on leaks. Didnt work. I may have invented a self cleaning coop accidently. Its very unlevel and leaky. One of my neighbors offered to buy the paint if i would paint it any other color than the off-green color it is now. I would say i had the worlds ugliest coop, but... I bout some eggs for eating last year from a guy who didnt have a coop. Just a fence

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Oh, trust me, I only post the pretty pictures.
    My wife told me this morning about how horrible some of the place looked.
    My place was picture perfect BC (before chickens).

4. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Lol. I bought a used coop type thingy off craigslist. I think it was a crow house or penguins

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Mrs Oz says good Thursday morning from CocoBeach

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Our salvation here is we have NO neighbours to share a fence line. When we bought the place the realtor insisted that having this piece utterly surrounded on all sides by roads to be UNDESIREABLE...we just mumbled...sure, OK and jumped on it. No fence line to debate over...my fence is my problem and no person hanging over the fence looking where they had NO business looking.

Coupla times we have been near the fence and always painful. One time someone stopped to thank us for keeping the park (a little monument to the Pioneers of the area) mowed and clipped up...we laughed because it was a job for when my son was here to teach him about community volunteering...by the time we got a thank you...he had moved out seven years prior...country life...a little TOO laid back and slow perhaps.

And the other time made us roar with laughter. The neighbour managed to come over while I was planting a shelterbelt (one of many as I have said I did when we first moved here) and asked me..."So do you have chickens?" and I am thinking...OK...we are zoned isolate agriculture...I am not going to be forced to do something here I don't wanna do...so I replied, "Yes?" "Well could you have them start crowing at maybe 7 o'clock as they keep waking me up too early." "OK," I replied, "I will have a talk with them but I don't think that is going to work since the sun comes up at about 5:30 a.m. or so now since it is summer." Meanwhile in my head I am thinking..."Lady, if you want me to have the roos wake you up at 7 a.m.....gonna have to charge you for a wake up call each day!" I am so evil. Anyway, we've gotten one heck of a lot more early riser noise makers since then and well, proper zoning is proper zoning...blah blah blah! [​IMG]

Spiders...I was a wretched girl child...delighted in picking up the hairy wolf spiders and scaring the boys with them. I have become more fearful and sensible with age...won't see me handling no creepies now. Yuck and lots bite! [​IMG]

We have a few chain link dog kennels but Rick freaks out and have to encircle them with hardware cloth.

[​IMG]
    Winter proofed tom run...tenplast comes off and nice and open for summer time​

Might think YOU have an overactive contemplative mind...he sees turks sticking heads out and getting them lopped off...I mean sure we have tons of predators but I'm less observant to the risks. Probably keeps me alive longer...less stress worrying. No matter, someone should be the thinker that keeps us safe I guess. No losses since Earth Day 2007 and that day was my fault...sigh! Past that, zero predation which is a good thing.

Yes, I am less likely to do your chores for you too if I have to "breeze" by the hives too...LOL...I know they are quite nice and all but not having ever had a hive of bees...the unknown part is the part that would have me happy you had another avenue to get to the birds that did not include scuttling past the buzzers. [​IMG]

Dog kennel from a coop...that's how NineOh's pen went but the other way round! Rick built for the dogs and then when we finally got to the REAL kennel building...the small version went to who else, but the birds!

[​IMG]
    Nine Oh's pen...on the right is the converted dog kennel snugged up to the roofed run.
    Roofer...so do you worry about skin cancer...har har. Roofers I have known have always had tans and could really tolerate the heat. All because like when do you roof...when it is sunny out, usually summer time. I could not handle those conditions; roasting on a roof. I expect this is a young person's sport tho and you have to "retire" or fry? LMBO [​IMG]

The shingles you chose suit the project to a T...did not know they could look ugly but makes sense...lots of things can look out of place and off...I guess you made it look easy because you were that roofer and noted things like that. You get lots that do jobs but never learn nothing from doing them.

I do not have anything as sophisticated as you do for watering...and the nipple waterers seem dreamy but others here have said they freeze up on them...I can only imagine our eight months of winter would be wretched...

I mean four months of fresh clean water is dreamy but all it takes is one dip in the mercury and I bet that's her...busted. Course you said you got cold weather in your neck of the woods too...something to think about I guess.

[​IMG]
    Far left is the tallest barrel...nothing fancy but it works!​

We have quite a few poly halved rain barrels in place...and they do the job. Crappy pic of fix from April...I have all the other barrels stored upside down behind the duck barn right now, which reminds me...with rain in the forecast...and less cold, time to haul them on out to all the buildings to catch the free water. When you pay power to pump from a well, I figure rain barrels are a good environmental and cash conscious thing to be doing...but not in winter...they just freeze into these nasty blocks that take forever to melt (like next spring...maybe).

I am sure your water instructions are completely sensible...but I am daft as all tomorrow on the building, plumbing, electrical, dry wall (bring the stretchers yes?) and sky hook aspects. Not your fault...I do admire...at a distance unless you need the dumb end held...or coffee breaks...lunch...I can make food and beverages...shakin' not stirred! [​IMG]

Overthinking is like measuring twice to cut once...suits me just fine. Rick does the same thing and is up early with graph paper and making plans too. Building supplies are expensive and the building supplies love the do-it-yourselfer...the first time DIY's just come back to buy replacements for what they ruin learning...agh!

Thanks for all the details on your coops and the operating system for the water...nice to see you working what you got to the max. There is almost always a better more refined way to do something and the challenge is to use what you got to make your life or the critter's lives better. Happiness abounds! [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

8. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Oz. That place looks dreadful. Hurry and come to alabama. Its much nicer but our cameras are bad

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by