The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013

2. Highcotton

Mar 18, 2013
    That's my retirement job if I ever get around to permanently retiring. My biggest problem is that paying for it and doing it conflicts and I only have so much time.

3. Highcotton

Mar 18, 2013
    I have a Troy Bilt over 20 years old with a furrower like that. I love it. The furrower is a must for potatoes. It is also great for corn. If you plant the corn in the furrow and then pull dirt up around it as the corn grows it covers the grass and the extra dirt helps prevent the wind from blowing the corn over as it matures.

4. Highcotton

Mar 18, 2013
    Good morning. I just wanted to comment on how my Dear Wife has been sacrificing for the chickens. My chickens favorite food is watermelon. So, she and my granddaughter have putting themselves out by eating watermelon so the chicks could have the rind. I was notified this morning that the chickens needed more watermelon.

1 person likes this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I like that way of taking care of the chickens!

6. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Yah...another advocate of the furrower...ha ha ha... [​IMG]

I would agree that it would be most awesome for potatoes, making the hilling part easier (heard tires are another way to plant potatoes...the black rubber attracts more heat and you dump more dirt in the tire as the potatoes grow...never tried it) and the corn (hates it roots disturbed) would sure benefit too from more dirt on the roots.

Yes, the sacrifices the WHOLE dang family has to make, eh? So trying...having chooks!

Bwa ha ha...we eat watermelons all year here...well because the Mandarin Ducks need melon. That excuse flies like a lead balloon...though the ducks DO like the melon. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mandarin Ducks and melons...empty rind and a replacement!

[​IMG]
    Here is a melon rind PELT!

BTW, I am told that chunks of watermelon rind will endear horses to your presence. Now some equines like it way over the top and others, not so much...worth a try I suppose. Sheep and goats like grapes...as do turkeys...don't ask how I know--woman that wanders around with a pork chop tied to her butt so the dogs will listen and love me! Ha ha ha...or bite me...ha ha ha

OK...I gotta get the Old Folks' brainies working on this one mystery...just gotta figure it out. [​IMG]

I had 5 or 6 golf balls in a stainless steel puppy pan (I use the pans under duckling waterers to contain any bill drips to keep the wetness outta the bedding!) that were soaking. I use new refurbished golf balls bought in a gross from Crappy Tire as floor eggs in the chook coops (not too many or you go for a nice rolly crash a polly stepping on them). Anyway...I had these soaking to get cleaned. I go to retrieve them yesterday evening, thinking they would be nice and white again and ALL ARE GONE!
    [​IMG]

Now I first think...am I having a momentary brain blip...senior's moment? But nope, they were there yesterday evening when I was cleaning some pens....soaking the roll around in the bedding coating.

I am thinking...<<dangerous--could hurt meself>>...because they were sorta submerged in water by maybe half an inch... a squirrel would not pack them away. Thinking too heavy and awkward for a packrat, we do not have racoons, not a crow...culprit is probably that raven pair that seem to think they have rights about here. Fixins HATES and I mean HATES the "bad birdies" and she'll chase barking after them down the pastures. Not a good thing for an old dog to be doing, tearing after nastiness, but sure is cute to see her waltz back with a smile on her face and tail wagging proud..."I still got it going on!"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And for any smart alecks...this is not Caddy Shack...we got NO gophers here because we got far too much gravel under the dirt and clay in our patch of paradise.

Now here we do not leave any eggs out...no garbage or trash to attract marauding varmits...so thinking these two Ravens have been trained some place else to beak about looking for eggs...I mean it is wild bird egg season...so I get the Ravens knowing eggs are delicious but GOLF BALLS! Really...they packed off (made trips) with golf balls??

[​IMG]

I know it fools the chicken brains not to peck at floor eggs (think it is an egg and get hurty beaky hitting it) ...but really... five or six golf balls in a stainless steel pan full of water and ALL are carried off?

Now the good news is I did find one...was out in front of the shade flower bed in front of the Dog Kennel, so about 75 feet away from where I placed them originally. I am now on the hunt to find the rest of my missing golf balls...4 or 5 to go! It burns me that I bothered to start to clean them up only to lose some...I mean steal them when they are dirty...not spring cleaned UP! Grrrr....

If you hear I am in the hospital for a while...I am betting I found the stash way up in some tree in the forest. Shook the tree and well BONK! BONK! BONK! BONK! BONK! and a "Tweety tweet" my head hurts (better than my eye!). [​IMG]

So I guess I could set a trap with golf ball bait and see what swings on by to get more (think they would be tired from packing so many off with no food reward?) OR I see a pair of Ravens flying about with BENT BEAKS all bandaged up!

[​IMG]
    Do a trap like this one but with golf balls for FREE!

If anyone else knows what stole these because they pulled the same sorta goof up as I did, please advise...the suspense is killing me...packs golf balls outta water...cripers...just when you think you've seen it all!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Edit...forgot to mention the gophers and my trap...

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  7. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Dont forget to vote for the BYC spirit and friend awards

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pr-EWXuMRP3tbXzVbMyYcz3qytv1LHPMFSlsqgtFFWw/viewform

• BYC Educator: This is now a Staff awarded accolade. We have changed this award to reflect only the highest standards. Only those who adhere to the highest standards of knowledge and education will be considered for this award. While nominations will be accepted for this award, the Staff will thoroughly vet each person and only those who meet/exceed the Staff's high criteria will be awarded the Educator Badge. Nominees must, among other points, have a verifiable reputation of providing information more than just "common knowledge," assist members in a positive and courteous manner, be open to feedback without getting defensive, and should maintain their good standing with little disciplinary action for rules violation.
    • BYC Friend: These individuals are just plain fun and great to have around! They are our favorite comedians and enablers; our most cluckative. They are always accessible to lend a cordial and helping hand. Their enthusiasm encourages us, their empathy comforts us.
    • BYC Spirit: These individuals best demonstrate ALL-AROUND outstanding service and commitment to the BYC members and community. While maybe not expert educators, they are trusted Educators nonetheless, as well as Friends to all. They are dedicated to the BYC Community as a whole, and strive to help promote, support and uphold its values and goals.
    • BYC Greeter: These individuals are our BYC "Welcome Wagon!" They are the members that are most active in welcoming the new members to our community, especially in the "New Member Introductions" forum. Nominees will be judged on a) How long they've been welcoming new members; b) How many new members they welcome; and c) The quality and friendliness of their welcome.

2 people like this.
  9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Tara - I would suspect several alternatives (although I wouldn't put it past a raven.) Do you have any dogs that are mouthy or are fond of playing with balls or chewing on hard objects? That would be my first guess. Do you have any raccoons in your area? Squirrels? Down here, snakes often eat the wooden eggs or golf balls in the nests. I caught a rat snake and retrieved a swallowed golf ball from half way down it's body. It is my understanding that the snakes can't expel the golf balls and will die, but I squeezed on the lower side of the ball, inching it upward, until it came out it's mouth. I'm not sure if it injured the snake, but I took it up the road to a cornfield and put it out. If it lived, I bet it never ate another egg........

10. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    No coons (they would be PERFECT suspects...washing water them in the provided water...) Had no loose dogs (love to pin it on a dog...uh then again...vet visit...maybe not!) at that time. Way too cold for snakes to want to even slither let alone eat something---I did finally hear frogs the other evening--so not hibernating no more's! I ruled out the squirrels because I don't think they could carry a golf ball (big, heavy??) and the IN the water (under half an inch) part really had me say no (Rick said squirrel instantly!). Blame it on the squirrely.... [​IMG]

I lean towards those Ravens but I will have to actually catch them in the act to know.

I personally just think..."Really...stealing golf balls...really? Now I have to watch those too...?? Is nothing sacred and off limits" ... bwa ha ha ha ... [​IMG]

Tara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by