The Old Folks Home

On the California Northern thread we call it the S (Sulfadimethoxine) medicine. Out in the Sonoma County area, some have to use it because the Cocci is very bad there and chicks die without it. Here in Woodland, Corid works fine. It would be a good medicine to have on hand if you had a type of cocci that was killing your chicks. Some Breeds seem to have less resistance to cocci too.
I battled a round of cocci this spring in my outdoor grow out pens. Amprolium (Corrid) did nothing for it so had to use Sulfadimethoxine. I lost 2 chicks that were over 5 weeks old. Because I must have a bad kind here, I've started giving my chicks one round of Amprolium at 4 weeks before they go outside and 20 days later a round of the S drug. I may alternate them another time or two especially if I have any new cases.

I guess I should order some Ron. It's just that since I have been on BYC I have only heard of what everyone was using for it since I never had it. At first I thought the red poo was from DH feeding the chooks blackberries. I have 4 chicks on the porch and hoping they will all make it!

On another note I got my turkey today after waiting nearly 3 months to get them. YEAH!

DH wanted Bourbon Reds and I wanted std. Bronze. I tried last year hatching some from Arielle with no luck twice. So DH said he wanted some this year.
He loves the personalities of the turkey as much as I do.

Except for the dead of winter (like this past horrendous one) The chicks go right out into the coop when they come out of the hatcher. It is basically a storage shed on a concrete slab. Nothing (except bears) can get in there.

Outside of the building same day as previous picture

You're living life in a large way. Good for you.

All of my chickens are afraid of me until they're about a year old.
I finally found a picture of the smaller replica coop I built to resemble this one. I took the picture shortly after I built it and have since made the windows much larger.
Both buildings have ridge vents but they're worthless with 6 inches of snow on the building.

I just wish I had followed my gut and put a couple dormer windows in as I was putting the roof on. This side of the roof faces east and would have given the hens a longer day length.

Last edited:
[size =4]"Designer Chickens."

I have Delaweggers (Delaware + Easter Egger), Milkies (Marans + Silkie), Orpeggers of various colors (blue, buff, black Orpingtons + Easter Egger) and various other combinations.

"Designer Chickens."

I have Delaweggers (Delaware + Easter Egger), Milkies (Marans + Silkie), Orpeggers of various colors (blue, buff, black Orpingtons + Easter Egger) and various other combinations.
lol
yuckyuck.gif

Cynthia I just watched the videos and I love it. It seems so easy. Now I just need some more trays. lol

Pretty easy all right. The didn't mention light in either video..that I noticed. I have mine .. not directly in front of a window.. but on a wall beside it, off a ways. It gets the light just right. My photos that I posted were only a couple of days out. It grows fast!

Linda any pictures to show what Milkies look like? How about some dark brown ones you could call Chocolate Milkies?

Last edited:
I finally found a picture of the smaller replica coop I built to resemble this one. I took the picture shortly after I built it and have since made the windows much larger.
Both buildings have ridge vents but they're worthless with 6 inches of snow on the building.

Beautiful. The size makes it so if you had no use for them (this is called senior's planning) when you got ancient, could sell them off. Most all our buildings are of a width that could be trailered...built on skids of wood and pipe...portable...so like a reverse mortgage of sorts...
gig.gif

The shingles on the roof...quite the complimentary contrast. What are they made of please because I am curious how they have held up. Roofs can be ugly and we opted for green metal on buildings and sometimes tenplast on others.

Yeh, windows are free light and at times you want lots of ventilation and others, not so much.

Rick placed that 3 vented cover for air circulation up and outta the way of any roof snow build up.
I don't figure you a had much of an option so did the best you were able.
hmm.png

I like the two panels you have there to meld with the chainlink. Once, we drove past a pizza place and noted a big stack of stainless steel oven racks by the dumpster for garbage. Those moved here with us and found places all over to be used. Mostly on over human sized doors as poultry sized entrances. I find you are less likely to find scavenger birds like crows and ravens helping themselves to the feed buckets in the runs if they door is no more than a turkey size. Buggers!

Turkey Barn - small rectangles on the two doors that are covered in two of those grates​

Ding dong...pizza delivery?

I thought about what you said in that we use so many things NOT originally made for poultry...repurposed...

Oilfield containment catcher...expensive and if used...I would not use it for waterfowl to swim in (toxic residues?)--but this one never saw any use...can't remember how we aced it but I was delighted. Big enough for ducks of all kinds to have a dip in and yet not so big or flimsy I can't lift it to dump it on the grass after a day of ducks on it.

Clean out my barns and put the used bedding in industrial containment cages. Rick uses the pallet forks to lift and carry away for composting. We tried putting a length of tenplast inside to make them more enclosed and found the tenplast tore out. I won't use the original plastic tubs because often chemicals are stored in them...plastic can hold residues and again...I am not into spreading toxins around the land here. Blah!

I have also used these containers, got three, to hold up fences...rams, well uh, RAM fences...can push a t-post right outta the ground...bad boys!
roll.png
They can't really do much to the containers.

Some feed their sheep and goats using these but any horned beasts tend to get horns caught and then tear them...not nice at all...so I avoid temptations to stick head close around metal obstructions--bloody bath otherwise--yuck!

Day at the beach for the sheep

Cheapy beach umbrellas to ensure the sheeps have shade! Pole stuck in the fence with a bungy cord to fasten.

And just a ton of places for used vehicle tires to be convenient for other uses.
tongue.png

Small rubber pail inside an ATV tire and instant good ruminant dispenser for salt/mineral. Only the handle is metal to rust!

Bigger tub inside a car tire becomes an idiot proofed "can't really hurt thyself on it" bath for the Mandarin ducks.

And the tractor trailer tires with a 100 pounder sized rubber tubs is for water or hay for the bigger beasts. In winter I can chip out ice and retop.

And last but not least...

Rabbit hutch for drying bantam ducks for show in front of the woodstove in February...Rick had comments to the negative about this arrangement since part of this unit blocked the TV from view. Bwa ha ha...twas suppose to be a livingroom, not some place living with ducks...
lau.gif

I think we should get a reward for using something for what it was originally designed to do...bwa ha ha...
big_smile.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

"Designer Chickens."

Delaweggers sound awesome.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom