The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thats why I know how to do all of the above jobs and can milk a cow, and trim a horse hoof! good luck with your hunt for good help!!!

Scott

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    How much do you cost to rent? My goats toes I can handle.

3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

As much as most of you are against antibiotics and such - I believe that no animal should die without a dose of Dimethox or Oxytetracycline

My wife is stunned with the ability of these two drugs to save our animals.

Dimethox is the drug of choice for a cocci outbreak

1 person likes this.
  5. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

6. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    You got my vote Oz...not against antibiotics...have some but vet has never told me to administer them. If he did, no worries that I would.

So did the inevitable...I bought some seed potatoes this morning, got them lined up on the man porch outside to get sun and sprout more, green up...covered in towels for night as we are still getting decent ice on the ponds.

The BEFORE pics...yeh, can you believe it...no white??? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then me go round and round... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Whee hee hee

[​IMG]

Will till it a time or two again and then use my furrow attachment...to make me raised beds...hee hee...yeh, I grow using raised beds and love it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my tiller and my furrow maker...had to order the furrow in. Rick told me they made such things so when I stepped up and took the plunge to get my tiller, had them bring me one in. LOVE IT! Beats the living heck outta shovelling and man the shovelling of pathways I have done to make raised beds in my veg gardens...stuff this furrow in where the normal straight bar (sorry, me no know the technical term for the metal bar the keeps the tines at a certain depth??) goes and on yer way to pathways...YEE HAW!

I rotate crops in the veg garden so do up different layouts and place the paths in different locations on the plot. Lots of fun...planning how it will look and what goes where.

Gotta get some greens in the dirt, saw the second wabbit this morn...and she sure looks hungry! LOL Pearl is now working on egg number four and she'll be demanding some homegrown spinach...so yeh...dogs want peas...carrots...Rick will want some baby potatoes...I feel just like that Lil' Red Hen ... No wheat, no durn growing and harvest and grinding of no darn wheat. I am sure in high school I was voted most likely to make her own flour and taw hides...
    [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

A yak and a single tyne plow would be more impressive

8. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    You are such a brat...have I told you that enough? [​IMG]

A yak would be very kewl and would not suffer in our climate like a water buffalo would...

Then again, why not use what is here already burning hay? I do have the draft sheep...I could borrow (steal) the neighbour's lawn ornament next plot over and plow about... Bwa ha ha...

[​IMG]

Can you feel the lazy about the corral rams sending you the evil eye?? [​IMG]

Tara

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

someone has to do it

I won a secret ballot

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    No soil, no dirt..just put the soaked over night wheat and boss in a bin with holes throughout it so you can rinse it at first, then spray once in a while. Keeping it damp. There are a lot of places to look up how to grow fodder...and you should check out the youtube videos..they are great!

Found a pretty good one.

Ah ha..had to check this out since Canoe said something about time...I think I like not having to soak for 24..she took a long while doing the video..I skipped a bit here and there, but the final results are interesting.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by