The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Cynthia I love you tulips they are so beautiful. What do you grow your wheat and boss in soil or sand? I'm thinking of trying to grow some.

2. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It doesn't need any growing medium. Just soak the seed. A one hour soak then rinse about 3 or 4 times in the next 24 hours. Then rinse 2 or 3 times a day thereafter. The roots become a big mat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was 500 grams of barley seed soaked and spread in the bottom of a seed flat.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks CC! I am going to have to try that! Thanks for the pics, that is great!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When I first started doing fodder, I was having trouble getting it to grow. I thought it was drying out so I added sand, thinking it would just add grit.
    I finally discovered that my problem was that I was soaking the seed too long. It swells too much and can't properly sprout. A one hour soak, occasional rinse and viable seed can't help but grow.

ETA

It is especially good for herbivores like cows and rabbits. For chickens, I wouldn't normally let it grow so tall. I just did that for the class. For chickens, I think a 2 day sprout is optimal. In winter, when there isn't any greenery, I let it grow taller - like the picture.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have a question for you guys - has anyone else had a really hard time getting work done in the trades and/or manual labor? I have struck out up here in the recent past with landscaping, painting, roofing and plumbing. It seems like no one wants the job and I am willing to pay anything they ask, within reason.

I had a landscaper yesterday tell me "yeah, that's not what we do... we basically plant plants in a nice arrangement after the dirt has been moved." Me: "Ok, so you're a gardener not a landscaper." Them: "No, that's what landscaping is."

[​IMG]

That was after a landscaper told me the week before that he could do the job but he doesn't really want to.

Oz, what would it cost to rent Bernie for a month? [​IMG] This part of the country is where you should be in the summer.

7. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Scg. Do u have a home depot?

8. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks CC we picked up some Boss to try. I appreciate the instructions on the fodder and the soaking heads up! [​IMG]

I am also battling my first round of cocci. We also picked up some corrid at the co-op. I am using a dropper to nurse 3 - 9 week old chicks. I lost 2 today and I am hoping I won't loose any more :/

9. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    There is one around here, yes. I've had crappy luck with them in getting installations done for appliances I've bought recently. Perhaps their contracting is different?

Finally got the painter to show up and got that settled. Painter told me he'd call the roofer that he knows, so that's good.

10. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Super C
    is there a large nursery around ? Many also offer installation.
    Likely with the landscapers is there so busy they have waiting lists or are limiting what they do.
    Out here in Cali there is a huge growth boom again.

I work at a huge nursery and sell to Nurseries and contractors . Im so busy I can not think straight.
    A large retail place likely has a install staff.
    Jason

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by