The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm familiar with mums but I still don't understand.
    That is doable.

That could be. This photographic memory is like a sieve lately.
    I'll blame it on the beer and try to find the post that you reference.
    Good for you. I'm getting my herbs in and beginning to get some of the summer veggies started. I'm sure I'll still start more lettuce and spring greens. I planted 2 plums another apple and a pear today. My transplanted (3 years ago) nectarine is doing poorly and I'll probably replace it. The raspberries are finishing blooming. The mulberries are about 2 weeks from beginning to ripen and fall.

Saturday, I taught a 2 hour, 2 part class at the Humane Society on growing fodder for chickens and herbivores as well as a segment on fermenting feed. About 20 people attended. I usually don't sprout or do fodder this time of year but my chickens are enjoying the demonstration trays. I had 1 each tray of BOSS, wheat, buckwheat and Austrian peas - all 4 days growth. I also had 5 trays of barley. Two day, three day, four day and 2 of five day growth. The 2 of five day growth compared those that had an initial soak of one hour and an 18 hour soak. All other trays had a one hour soak and several rinsings per day.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Took some photos for my son that I write to on Sundays. Sent him these. He says GA has beautiful flowers there, and loves the Orange Honey Suckle. I remember when I lived on the coast how many flowers just grew, with out being watered. Here in the dessert, we have to water every thing to keep it alive.
    My bleeding bush is doing great. :)
    [​IMG]
    My tulips are finally coming up..I face north. I love the tulip, my favorite flower. It was
    raining the day I took the photo below, so they aren't opened much, but love the colors.
    I pulled up a lot of the old, and planted new bulbs.
    [​IMG]
    My Peonie Bush is growing fast, and my rose bushes too. Only my second yr. on
    these rose buses..hope they are bigger this yr.
    Veggies..so far my Rainbow Chard is coming up again on it's own. I don't think I will be planting much this yr. I want a Yellow Crook Neck Squash, and a Pumpkin plant, not even doing tomatoes. Don't have much room for a garden in the front. I can get them down the street
    for a pretty good price anyway. :)

3. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    So you know when it is open season on ratz...Canadian chickens...Canuck Chooks...

In November...some time in November...

[​IMG]
    Open season on PINKY RATZ in November...

One good turn deserves another, and well, I myself never had that much lead time to roust up the goods on another Old Folker and their birthday... [​IMG]

Crazy...never...crime fighting super hero for us Canucks...why YES! Mr. Canoehead...Very well thought of...held in highest of esteems...our HERO!

April 7th, 2014 -- post #14544

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/693812/the-old-folks-home/14540#post_13204883

CC is having a senior's moment OR indeedy...he never did read this post...maybe I should have kept it all hush hush so I could reposted it again next April. Recycling at its finest...conserving posting energies and using them twice! [​IMG]

New places to crash and catch some Zzzzz's--man porch. Should be a fun summer! Hoping!

Glad you like the same kinda tunes.

It always blows my mind...the stuff we have and the things we do are from our era and when we do what we have always done...leave it to the young people to think they can claim it as their own. It is not theirs...it is the oldster's to still enjoy if we still wanna! Don't mind sharing but that's just it...if we wanna, we do.
    [​IMG]

Wisher--I love your story! So very Betty White, eh?

Rick has threatened that as he gets older...he will become more and more forgetful. No wonder my first chore for here was to plant shelterbelt trees. I can picture him now (any day now--it's overdue to happen!), 15 years later... Running off out the door, completely forgot he has NO PANTS on....yelling at some whippersnapper he's gonna be teaching some lessons to. And yes, a lesson indeed...oh my eyes!

I think of it as our community duty, the good neighbourly thing to do...to save the outsiders from a view worse than death itself. Ha ha ha...containment and privacy fences (not what can bust in but what might wander out; good fences make good neighbours, I say!), plant a tree, some thorny hedges, shelterbelts as we have...to save the outside world from how silly we become...silly and visually unsavory! Screen the views going out from within!

Just because changes in fashion dictates a certain look don't mean all of us should be in style. Oh my! I never ran out and got a tramp stamp and wore crack jeans to show it off. Oh the horrors I thought! Some wrinkles should never see the light of day... I remember that my mother told me I had to wear culottes (skort) when they came into fashion and I just gave her the "over my dead body" look and giggled. Sure, lots looked great in them...but moi...NEVER! [​IMG]

There is an age when to get grandparent's attire...to look regal and stately, refined about acting our appropriate ages. No more swinging from the chandeliers and screaming like Tarzan I am afraid! What I wore when I was twenty is not what I wear now...all things considered. A time to be comfortable is a blessing. Rick and I laugh as we get older on how much stuff is going to end up in the bathroom as we head for the grave speeding down that hill bound for cratering...instead of in bed...teeth, glasses, new knee, hook for a hand, wig... More in the bathroom than sleeping in the bed. Bwa ha ha...make more room for the old dogs to steal!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fodder..ChickenCanoe..I just do it on a small scale for the winter. I had just rinsed
    these, that's why they are in the kitchen, I keep mine in a back spare bedroom.
    I have a perfect window distance for it. It grows very easily. Wheat, and some
    BOSS is in these two.

5. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Looking good Cynthia! I love tulips too.

CC, I've been looking into growing my own fodder as well. It's very easy and my boyfriend showed me a great idea that was just the seeds in stacked trays that were slotted so that you rotated them each day, watering them, and the water would drop down to them all, and you end up with trays of pure fodder! And as soon as I make a plastic trough, I'm getting started on my fermented feed! I'm really excited about that, all the benefits are amazing. And I want so many fruit trees! I'm jealous!

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'm probably going to get banned for this, so it was nice knowing y'all.

However, when I was a little kid I was really into gymnastics. And I had the WORST time keeping my leotards from riding up. You'd lose points if you "picked it" and I was always losing points for that (with as much cheek as I showed, I should have lost points for that, too), much to the chagrin of my coaches. Once I got far enough in competition I eventually had to get an underpair of really low cut granny-panty-like items that matched the leotard in color and texture and wore that under the leotard so I had an additional layer of protection. It was good for beam, bars and vault, but the floor routine was too long and complicated for the likes of my additional protection. Try having two pair crammed in there and being forbidden to pick it (and try to stick your landings).

After that, flossing, with the least amount of fabric possible, looks good.

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

SCG - talking about picking at "a hungry bum" is not banable - posting photos of it may be lol

Most embarassing moment - losing my swimwear in a big wave on a very crowded beach in Hawaii with the whole of my wife's family on the beach but out of ear-shot.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oz next time wear your suspenders with the speedo

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have learned to body surf with my feet at right angle to my legs to save my shorts lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by