The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Did I ask you or do you know where they got their birds from? Something in the old folk memory banks tells me Luann.

2. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Whatever originally came with the 1266 GQF "Sportsman" is the turning mechanism. Buster is one of the upgraded kinds for Emu's...with a high velocity fan. I bought before they made the change over to digital/computerized...I was fearful the incubator would not last like many I know that have them running at 20 to 30 years young. There are three well spaced trays with No hatcher on the bottom as seen in other models--goose/swan eggs would fit and certainly the larger duck and heritage turk ones easily do.

Is that enough info or is there some "part No." you need off the actual turner or...??

Went to the kid's for M-Day...spoilt Rick and I with his usual plates of crackers, meats and cheese at his house. Still a little cold with ice on the ponds but nice sun to make the drive entertaining.

[​IMG]

Duckling and a dog (along the same theme as last year's gift-pictured below which was a planter with a dog and a Bluebird--can't see for the flower's growth!) and three ceramic letters to hold some Chrysanthemums! It was doubly kewl because that's my birth month flower.[​IMG]

And yes CC...you have until THAT month to figure out how to double zing a ding dong me for the razzy roasting I gave you for your OWN hatch day as super heroic Chicken Canoe! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Saturday, we did more than we should have. Nothing like a bit of sunshine to incite you to be stupid thinking you are ten feet tall and bullet proof...ha ha ha. Rick transferred the pond fish from the garage to the pond. Yee Haw! See the Fix doing the hoochy in celebration...why is she so happy about the pond being set up with the fishes? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her happiness is that Rick has the two spitter goldfish installed and running...the personal drinking founts of dawgs!

[​IMG]
    Hmm...fresh fish crap...nothing finer!

Got to spend a few sit and watch the fish do laps in the pond. The pond fish love it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also cleared out and cleaned the man porch (winter clean up ready for nicer weather) in preparation to finding some better seating arrangements. Rick is washing the rug runners today (nice enough they will dry out not too badly).

[​IMG]

Laughing as Rick is really finding it pretty uncomfortable to sit in the average kinda cushions you get in the more usual lawn furniture sets. So gonna upgrade...the former set in the porch are transitioning to outside in the yard and we found a set yesterday that are really nice for the porch. Fake wicker with big hunkin' cush cushions--all the while I am laughing because nothing like getting older and more tender...tender butts...ha ha ha...I'd say LARD donkey but well, can't be too harsh...or can we?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up the porch geraniums and two tomats (cherry and a heritage, Brandy Wine Pinks...should be nice).

[​IMG]

Rick has put in three sky lights so the porch gets really nice lighting for the flowers and tomatoes.

Pearl the swanny girl, has three eggs in total now and counting! When we went to visit with the son...stopped and picked up a case of Romaine for her swanniness--So got the GREENS topped up again--

Looking forward to the long weekend here (workin' for the weekend) as son and SIL/BIL are to come out for a BQ (firepit if there is sun and BQ in the porch if there is rain or snow...small local village does a rodeo that weekend and it always seems to find a way to snow on the parade). Hope the furniture comes in before this weekend but no matter--that's a setup for a bad time...we got the whole summer to enjoy the man porch and new furniture--don't want to rush it on past--all FOUR months of it. [​IMG]

Dropped the '84 Red 4x4 Chev off to be painted at the body shop this morn...might have the shiny red rider done by Friday...so pretty nice way to start off the cruisin' loser lapper season with a repainted ride.

Rick and I roar with laughter when we go out on the weekends in the nice weather...got a mixed cassette (actually, to be more concise and correct...we upgraded to a flash drive--purdy nerdy, eh?) with all OUR tunes on it...you know, the ones like ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Petty, Clapton...AC/DC...cruising tunes and we'll go for a burn and all these whippersnappers will drive up when we stop for the lights thinking someone their ages is in this truck. HA!

[​IMG][​IMG]

GUESS again...blast from our pasts. One young tart drove up last year that near had me in tears...she looked up expectantly to see some sort of hunka hunk, youthful and maybe something to her liking and met my grizzled old gaze! LOL "Yeh, not sorry to disappoint you Darling but I bought this truck for my hub to replace the one he had when I met him (the one the kid and I ruined when he was taking care of the young family raising them up and being the diligent provider)...and why yes, these ARE the tunes that came out when I was about your age, too. MY music, MY ride, MY era! MINE in the day!"

Nothing like two old creepy foggies doing the town scaring the younger folk. Bwa ha ha... Beware the old folks acting like they are youthful...reminds me of this complex tune...

Pressed Rat And Warthog by Cream:

At first it all reads like gibberish unless of course you "get it"... Just a small sampling of the intensity; atonal apples is a play on words in the music industry.

So when us old foggies go for a cruise it is just us enjoying our lives to the fullest...as we remember them and as we recall some of the finer points we still enjoy even now. Complexities all that to understand...you had to come from that time to know about them. Had to live that life to understand it.

Rick talks about four of them having to pitch in whatever money they had after paying the rent and trying to buy some food for the month...to go out for a cruise on a Saturday night in an old vehicle you were pulling wrenches on right up until you got it running (whilst packing spare tools just in case she quit half way round).

Now we can sorta do the same thing...only we do it so much better now. Instead of a beat up old looking mechanically unsound Chev and barely being able to afford the fuel, we can make an afternoon of it and smell the clover blooming and drink in the views driving UNDER the speed limit. Sing like nobody is listening and have enough money to be able to stop for two dipped cones at DQ! Ah to have had it so good in our youth...no worries...nothing but trouble and honestly earned by now! LMBO
    [​IMG]

BamaD...you make me laugh because last year about this time...there was an old guy on a lawn tractor mowing right out beside the highway with no shirt on. I said to Rick, there needs to be a warning sign on the highway like when they are burning waste, "Warning, smoke on the highway." The sign should read something like, "Warning, avert eyes!" because there was nothing much attractive about the old fella...in fact, I was mesmorised that someone that wrinkly needing a good ironing and plum ugly would be shirtless so near the busy highway--the sight HURT my eyes and well, we have those "distracted driver" laws in place. He was a hazard because he was quite shocking in a negative fashion! LOL

Personally if I need to threaten someone, all I would have to do is mention I had on a bikini UNDER my chore clothes and we'd have a stampede outta view. Oh my eyes! Work what you got...whatever that may be!!
    [​IMG]

Gonna be a fun spring/summer...once we get rolling along, eh?

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

4. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    ChickenCanoe:

The November birth flower is the Chrysanthemum.

This mostly perennial plant is also called the ‘mum’ and symbolizes cheerfulness and love and bloom in colours ranging from pink and red to white and yellow as well as mauve and orange.

The secret meaning of the mum is “You’re A Wonderful Friend.”

Tara's post referenced this as her birth flower - I never knew such a thing existed, to be honest :)

5. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    SCG, I love the skulls in the window idea! And definitely some late night candles, maybe sins chanting, around the fruit tree holes. That really is too much, I can't believe she would be so rude! It would be a tiny bit different if you had your own kids that could entertain them, but that's just WAY outta line!

Lol Bamadude! I think that would do the trick!

Great porch, Tara! Love to see the new furniture when it comes in. That's some great music! Especially Petty and Clapton. That's hilarious that kids are expecting someone their she to be driving, when that music was made years before they were born!

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Two years ago, I'll never forget, there was an elderly couple having a hand in hand walk on the beach at sunset. As they passed, everyone on the beach stopped and stared. They seemed cute and sweet........she in her one piece and him in his Speedo type bathing suits..........until they passed me. Both garments were "thong cut" in the back! They had deflated, wrinkly backsides that were showing white from the lack of exposure their previous suits afforded. I joined the others on the beach that stopped and stared. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the horror. The couple left a wave like response from the other beach patrons. About ten feet ahead of them, the people slowed to look at what the fuss was about, as they passed, dead silence and stopped action followed in their wake. Once they had proceeded 25-20 yards along, the shock wore off and the onlookers erupted in giggles, gasps, and chatter. It was memorable. I thought, I hope that is me, some day..........

7. Dragonfly216

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    CC, didn't Tara post some crazy Chicken Canoe cartoony reference on your birthday? That seems vaguely familiar......I may just be off my rocker....

8. Dragonfly216

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Oh joy! I finally got more into the ground besides just
    the peas and beans, though I am excited about them also. I have one super sweet 100 cherry tomato, one mortgage lifter tomato, 7 Atkinson tomatoes, two jalepenos, one cilantro plant, one basil, one oregano, one hot banana and one sweet banana pepper. So rewarding! I can't wait to eat them! Before that I planted rattlesnake beans, zipper creme peas, black eyed peas, my friend's grandmother's heritage running bean, and three green bell peppers, yay!

9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    got the upgrade and tried it out. It rides kinda high. Not much room to put spare ammo either. 4 wheeler seat was too hot. Going back to speedo but thanks anyway. Tried to get dw to take some pics. She said no way.

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I'm with you, Bamadude, I have never felt the need to floss there.........

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by