1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh my goodness..the fuss over what to feed a chicken! I guess, if you are breeding? My grandmother fed her chickens chicken feed in the winter, got it from who knows where. I saw her throw scratch out. Table scraps. Free range in the summer, so not so much chicken feed from who knows where. I get a good feed from our local Mill out here. Has 19% protein in it. My chickens have been very happy campers. They do get some wheat bread in the mornings, some calf manna once a week, and I do throw some scratch out once in a while for them..less in the summer..too hot. They free range. So less chicken feed from I know where. :D

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

[Changing subjects quickly]

I am going to spend this weekend catching up on my computer tasks.

I have three major projects:

1. Complete the www.cocobeachpoultry.com website. I have customers building through BYC, word of mouth and Facebook. I need the website to refer them to. I have been on the phone with GoDaddy.com trying to get my domain names all hosted under my account. I own cocobeachpoultry.com, cocobeachfarms.com and thecrazychickenman.com.
    2. Complete a Microsoft Access database for my farm. Its way more functional than using Excel spreadsheets for both accounting and record keeping. It will allow we to create forms for the less computer literate to enter data like daily egg counts, medication administration, hatch counts, feed use and the like. I am hoping for English and Hiligaynon interfaces that deposit the same data in the same places. The final design I am hoping for is something that looks like web pages
    3. Export all the data from 1200 subjects in the research section of Mrs Oz' PhD and run statistical analysis on it so she can finish her dissertation.

Its hotter than heck here in SoCal so I shall be running up the electrical bill with the AC but I want to finish most of it by Wed night as I have an egg run Thurs for my Weekend flight.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Man Oz and I thought I was busy. I am a complete slug compared to what you are up to! I give up trying to compete and will just sit here in front of my computer (yeah like that is going to happen)! [​IMG]

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

5. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    not Oz but I like Go Daddy was simple to use I went with Go Daddy for the Penedesenca site.
    They call every few months to see if I have questions.

www.penedesencausa.com

take a look if you want

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I am a complete slug this morning, too. I was at least productive yesterday after work and got all the feeders and waterers and buckets scrubbed and refilled. Moved the babies out of the basement brooder and into the hoop house (the goal was to move them to the coop but after the vicious turkey attack on the poult, I now want them to be bigger before I move them out there) and then cleaned and sterilized their brooder. Cleaned most of the house and then read a bunch of my book (and ate half a bag of sour cream and onion chips, I'll admit).

But I woke up this morning and it's pouring and slugitis has set in.

7. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    i asked for it at ace hardware. They got crumbles and pellets the following week.

8. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013

The chicken feed at the local Tractor Supply seems to move pretty fast based on the changing quantities on the shelf. Some places with a lower turn over will be more likely to be old.

9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    The feed at my tsc is expensive. 50 lb bag of frm feed at ace hardware is $11 with ace rewards card.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Funny, Ace hardware stores around here don't carry chicken feed, just wild bird seed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by