The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

427am and I have had enough web page building for yesterday

I completed the home page, the about us/contact us page, the chickens page with 14 breeds info and photos and the pricing page. I still have the products page and other poultry page to add.

Then I have a whole host of resources pages to complete.

I am linking www.thechickenmission.org so I am building that website in tandem.

More fun on the morrow.

2. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama

I can't wait to see the new site! I'd love to one day get some of your babies! Kind off a reverse getting the flock out of here....... ;-)

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

the other day, I picked up feed and BOSS, opened the back of the 4Runner unloaded the first bag o' feed for the "starving" flock, then took my purse into the house. When I came back to unload the rest of the bags, Carl and two of his ladies were tail feathers deep into the stuff back there.

Of course I needed my iPhone camera at that point. But when I got back outside with it, I was greeted with this view:

[​IMG]
    "Whut?!? We're not doing anything!"

[​IMG]

Carl even tried to tidbit me...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Carl is very pretty and HUGE!

I only did one hatch this year of chickens. I usually swap out my rooster every year and the extra boys go into my freezer. This year I had a bad hatch on account of my rooster not being able to figure out how to appropriately do the deed with most of the girls, and out of the 8 that I hatched it appears only 1 is a boy. Sigh.

5. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    [​IMG]When you want roos, you can't seem to get them... When you DON'T want them, you can't seem to avoid them! That fickle finger of fate strikes again.[​IMG]

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    While the average of all my hatches seems to be fairly split to about 50%, my actual hatchings are usually significantly skewed to one sex or another. Even my neighbor borrowed my incubator and did a hatch of all boy chickens. I know science hasn't determined a correlation between incubating conditions and sex of the hatchlings, but I think someone should study my incubator. I can't seem to figure it out, either. Chaos theory, I guess.

7. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    SCG- But, how does science know that egg temps etc have no correlation to sex of the birds? We know alligators and crocodiles hatch genders that way.

I wouldn't know how to make a study on that question...but someday I hope someone does.

8. mimischicksnat

mimischicksnat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    SW PA
    Hi!

I'm an empty nester who decided to make a "new" nest! I don't get to see my kids and grandkids often as they live far away (or aren't currently speaking to me :hmm)....

I literally have ants in my pants waiting for the chicks my sister in law is keeping for me and the coop that is supposed to be delivered Wednesday and the chicks coming next week! I can't sit still!

...can you tell I'm just a little excited?

[​IMG]

9. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Welcome! That's awesome! I'm a new chicken momma myself, mine are about to turn ten weeks old. I've really been enjoying them!

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Welcome, Mimi! You have family here and we're just a click away! Glad you joined us!

Last edited: May 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by