The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

our nubian buck was increadibly vocal. he screamed for human attention every time he saw one.

off to the philippines for a few weeks

i will chime in when i can

ciao

2. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    Maddy and Mamaw at the Dino Trek @ Nashville Zoo.

[​IMG]

Making a strawberry shortcake with Mamaw for dessert for the game tonight. Go Spurs!

[​IMG]

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That cake looks delicious. i could eat the entire thing right now.
    recipe?

4. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    Store bought angel food cake. Then we blended strawberries from the garden with some yogurt, spread a layer of whipped cream, a layer of the strawberry mixture and a layer of sliced frozen strawberries. Did this between all layers of cake and then topped it off with more whipped cream, strawberry mixture and more berries. It's in the fridge now so everything can soak into the cake.

5. apteryx

apteryx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Alabama
    The diesel/gasoline mix story brings back memories for me. I never managed to burn a tent, but I did do some serious damage to my eyebrows. It makes for a great learning opportunity.

My oldest sister and I often reminisce about the family farm. We both would have loved to have bought it, but neither of us were in a place to do so at the time. Now most if my friends laugh when I tell them that my current place is at least 100 acres too small.

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    We have continued to have no additional weasel action here overnight, so last night I built another weasel trap and took someone's advice to use stinky fish (I used BF's sardines [and he caught me]).

This morning the Hoop House of Horrors seemed untouched - two weasel traps and two "live" traps - until I checked the game cam.

After 20 or so pictures of my butt while I attempted to set the last weasel trap were reviewed, I came across this gem:

[​IMG]

I am incredibly thankful that I did not have to deal with that in a live trap this morning. Today I will be removing the "live" traps from my nightly HHH while I continue to seek weasel retribution through specially designed weasel traps.

Earlier this morning we also had a lone wild turkey female that was very interested in my toms. I ran her off, but she was quite taken with the boys and I suspect she will be back.

Let us remember those who gave all today.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Travel safely, I hope you get the business class upgrade so you can keep the medicine chest put away.

The diesel/gasoline mix story brings back memories for me. I never managed to burn a tent, but I did do some serious damage to my eyebrows. It makes for a great learning opportunity.

My oldest sister and I often reminisce about the family farm. We both would have loved to have bought it, but neither of us were in a place to do so at the time. Now most if my friends laugh when I tell them that my current place is at least 100 acres too small.[/QUOTE]
    Sounds similar. Ours was 96 acres and now I have 1. The farm was 100 miles from my job. I could have afforded to buy it but not the farm and a place to live close to work. I knew people that lived out there and worked where I did but 60 hours a week work and 25 + hours travel time was just too much in my mind. If my math was correct, that would have given me about 2 hours a day plus Sunday to cook, eat, shower, do farm chores, etc.. And then I had Sunday free at the time. Looking back, I should have figured it out.
    It was a shame to give up on nearly 20 years of work on the place.

Sorry, I forgot about that skunk thing. I've never seen a skunk at my place and luckily haven't caught one but I did hear they were attracted to the fish - but everything else is too. I guess I better have a game plan in case I ever get one. Maybe have a 55 gallon drum of tomato juice on hand.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have caught my fair share of skunks on this property. Seems like I have rotten luck with target species and end up often catching non-target species, and of the non-target species, 90% of what I catch are skunks, no matter what I use for bait.

My skunk plan is as follows... shoot it (and not for no reason - they go into the coop and steal eggs plus dig up the lawn).

The way I figure it, if I shoot it, at that moment it is going to stink the worst that it will ever stink. I am terrified that if I go to move the cage or relocate the skunk, that it will spray when I am right up on it.

So I wear my flannel lined (winter) jeans, washable shoes, a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie with the hood up and closed as good as I can get it and at least double disposable gloves.

Make sure your clothes washer is open and ready to go.

Shoot the skunk. Let the smell "dissipate" for about 30 minutes or so. It won't dissipate much, you'll still be heaving while doing the below unless it's below freezing.

Grab 2 thick outdoor trash bags and some wire ties, 2 for each bag. Get geared up in your outfit.

Place the skunk in the first trash bag. Seal best you can with two wire ties. Place this bag in the second bag, remove outer gloves, place in bag. Seal up second bag with wire ties. Dispose of inner gloves in regular trash after putting bag in back of truck to take to dump. Immediately strip naked. Put clothes in washer. Go take a shower. On both your body and the clothes use Fels Naptha laundry soap. You may need to wash the clothes more than once.

Complicated, but it works.

Now, I need to catch me a weasel.

I have signed up for a fur trapping class through my states inland fish and wildlife service, but it doesn't start until June. I called the teacher last night to find out if I could get the materials early but he declined.

Per the internet, weasels really like blood. I am half tempted to stick myself with something and go bleed all over one of the traps.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Great trapped skunk gameplan. Thanks. I need to record your post number in case I need it.
    We always had skunks on our farm but not here yet.

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

This made me cry.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by