The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    It was 82 today. I have been in Maine way too long because I am dying in this heat and humidity. It's going to be 56 tonight, and I can't wait to put the fan in the window and have that hit me all night.

How was the AI? Was it difficult?

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The AI was not difficult. In pigs is just a catheter. For the next round I will build a crate for the gilts as though when they are in standing heat they will mostly sit still, every now and then they take off necessitating agility I don't possess. Thank goodness for Mrs Oz. She was quite a picture in her brown polka-dot shorts and powder pink gum boots chasing the tale of a pig with a blue tipped spiral catheter.

The volume was daunting at 80cc and it takes 5mins to get it all in.

Goats require a speculum with a light source like a intubation blade.

The trick with any AI is timing. Our pig semen came overnight delivery from another Island so it was stressful when the plane was delayed. We may have missed the perfect timing for the first gilt. Even will know in about two more weeks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  3. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That's a hilarious image of Mrs Oz. Thank you for sharing. One of my favorite "Dirty Jobs" is when Mike goes to the pig farm. I can't stop laughing.

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I will post a picture when I get real Internet again

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    You would not like it here. It is 101 right now and the forecast is for 105 Sunday and Monday.Tuesday is back to 101 so we will have a cool down then.

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    No, I would not. I was looking to go out to Phoenix in the next 4 weeks... luckily I'm not going because I looked at the temperatures - there's not a day below 100 in the next 10.

[​IMG]

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

That Sacramento weather is tough. You get 80 degree changes between summer highs and winter lows.

Stay cool Ron.

It's the usual 85 today with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I read a report on Global warming. It said that the South West an the North East have warmed up the most over the last 30 years. The North East is 1.4 degrees Warmer but the South West is 3.5 Degrees warmer. Arizona was named as one of those South West places.

They do not need to be any warmer over there....
    We are on the edge of needing cold hardy breeds for winter but really do better with heat hardy breeds in the Summer. My Penedesencas do so well here. The Pene x Cream Legbars are champs too.

Enjoy the nice weather over there.

9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I'd move there, myself.

I imagine it is hard to tear yourself away from those kids to do what you need to do! I know it would for me.

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The weather here is not particularly nice. The humidity is stifling but at least it is never over 92 and never below 65 on any day.

We just moved from the dry season to the larger wet season. I am excited for my gardens but it makes hatching tougher.

I picked up 8 cubic meters of river rock for $12/m delivered. I am going to have the guys make two raised beds and place halved coconuts with the cup side up in one and plastic with a gap around the edges to experiment with trying to slow down water drainage in our sand while I take a few years to really ammend it properly. I will have the beds made so the growing medium is 2 feet deep. That should be good enough for any thing we grow.

Still, we did enjoy peppers beans squash tomatoes eggplant and bitter melon from my first 'season'

I

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by