The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    They are cute and what fun. [​IMG]

2. getaclue

getaclue Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    They are having so much fun. Great memories to look back on when they get older.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    insanity so sorry about your rooster. I hope you get that skunk [​IMG]
    tnspursfan cute grandkids! [​IMG]
    Today I am recouping from a long (well long for me) hike to a nearby mountain lake. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was fantastic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Yes, Dragonfly, looking forward to seeing your picks of the big buzzers! [​IMG]

Yesterday, Rick has just about installed all the plywood in the Hatch House.

[​IMG]
    Hummingbird flew by for a drink late last evening...Rick says he has a green throat. He called me to come see but I was busy messing with dinner and never made it out in time. Pretty quick visit and buzzed off.

Rick bought two new solar lights...pretty classy. Getting really hard to find ones made out of metal...most of them are plastic.

[​IMG]

He has one hanging in the man porch but I think he said he wanted to put them on the outside of the porch.

May Day is finally blooming...thought I smelt something yesterday eve (Rick would say, "Smells like a bus load of old ladies!") and sure enough! We have them blooming just ten minutes drive about two weeks ago. Tucked into the mountains, slower season here fer sure!

[​IMG]

Few of the chooks and one pair of swannies on the lawn out having fun this morn.

[​IMG]

Rick is playing the big rig man today. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing up a nice job spreading the two inch out...then off for another load and then third load of 3/4 minus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He asked me to clear up a mess pile and he would make me up a nice new path to the Chantecler Veg Garden Coop building.

Big mess...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not so much a mess...

[​IMG]

Brought the second load of two inch...

[​IMG]

Spread it out and brought a bucket of excess for the pathway base.

[​IMG]

Second load spread.

[​IMG]

Third load.

[​IMG]

I love watching men and machines but some might find this as fascinating as watching paint dry...anyhoo... [​IMG]
    Rick is off to get his fourth load...made him a burger for the second trip (which Fixins had to taste test before he left!) and if I hurry, I can ride swamper for the fourth load!

While he is loading the truck, I can scout out the gravel pit for nifty rocks (never have too many purdy rocks--rattling round in one's skull!).

Gotta go...

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I always enjoy watching men work too. I used to walk a lot and I saw road construction ahead one day. One guy was a flag man and inbetween that he would drop and do 10 pushups. I HAD to go talk to him. I asked if he was being punished. Turned out he had just gotten out of the marines and couldn't take standing around and really do nothing. Sorry ladies he was wearing a shirt and had his reflective vest on but still.......[​IMG]

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I am on board with watching men do manual labor and picking up interesting rocks! No wonder I feel so at home here............

7. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Scenery is absolutely gorgeous!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    dsgard The scenery is absolutely breathtaking. My sister is always pushing New Mexico and "the views." I prefer greenery to boulders and sand. Different strokes I guess.

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Drumstick Diva I will do both. I love hiking in red rock country and up into the mountains. The hard thing about hiking the mountains around here is that you have to wait so long for them to open up the roads (they just opened them Memorial Day weekend) and they close again around October"ish" because of snow. I have been itching to hike up to this lake for over a month. The forests up there remind me of when I was a kid playing in the pine forests of Maine. We would spend all day in the woods doing all kinds of stuff in the summer. We were never home.

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Just catching up.

I hope that skunk is no longer of this earth.

@Superchemicalgirl

My perfect world would be 68 at night and 75 during the day with an inch of rain on Wednesday each week. My 20 acres would be 25% flat and 75% slightly undulating with half of it wooded with hardwood trees.

Until I can find that, anywhere I don't have to shovel or drive in snow would be fine.

We are busy at CocoBeach. 113 days til piglets if we did the AI right.

It's chicken sorting week.

Busy times but it's great to be with the kids

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by