The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. getaclue

getaclue Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I had 5 Chow chows for many years. One afternoon a skunk dug under the fence, and was calmly sauntering around our yard. The dogs barked, were cautions, but eventually thought they would play with the funny smelling dog. They got sprayed, and decided they had to get away from that stinky dog. In fact, they stunk so bad, they didn't even want to get near each other. I had always heard that tomato juice would get rid of skunk smell. I filled a bathtub with the stuff, and bathed each dog in it. Guess what? It DOES NOT work! After their bath, they went out in the yard, dug a bit of a hole, and laid in the cool, moist dirt. I noticed that the part of them that had been in the dirt, didn't have much skunk odor, just an earthy scent. I dug a spot, made mud, and applied it heavily to the dogs, and left it on for awhile. Later on, I bathed them again in shampoo, and almost all of the stench was gone.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

How is that English Mastiff if left alone with the chickens? Can he/she be trusted? I'm looking for a farm dog that won't kill chickens or goats but will not tolerate predators. I want an Anatolian Shepard, but they are hard to find so I would consider another breed. I would love to have a mixed breed as long as I could trust and depend on it. I have no trouble with training, No dog of mine will EVER touch a bird when I am outside. I just can't seem to be able to teach them not to kill the birds when I'm not around. I was hoping that I could find a breed that would have some instincts that would help with that. I saw a half Great Pyranees/English Mastiff and thought that would be a great dog. I think it was adopted by the foster home it lived in after the breeder abused it. Anyway, I'm looking.....

3. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Wisher
    My garden surrounds the coop and run. She can patrol the perimeter fence but not reach the chickens. I don't quite trust her unattended overnight. Even though she hasn't ever made a move before.

4. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    That just goes to show you how different people think....wisher was interested in how the dog interacts with chickens, I was interested in how the dog interacts with skunks...LOL!

5. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Getaclue
    As for the dog skunk relationship. It should be short and smelly. The mastiff has done this before. Even coyote won't come back a second time if she is around.

6. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    Grandchildren @ the Nolichucky River.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Good luck, I hope you get the jerk.

We had one the other morning out in broad daylight in the front yard. I am thinking there is a stinky (and bloody) morning in store for me soon.

8. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

what cuties!!! Oh to be that young again

9. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Sorry for your loss...brave little man. I am so glad we don't have skunks and hope you get that one soon.

10. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Good dog!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by