The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Just had to go outside and break up a bloody Tom fight. Hans and Franz had been good friends and brothers since hatch and only fought over who would go first when the girls threw themselves at them. Now it looks like something has come between them for good.

I broke up the fight by taking one of the turkeys on my lap and sitting down on the stairs of the coop. One of my really friendly lap-chickens was jealous and jumped on top of the tom so I could pet her while holding down the tom. That was awfully thoughtful of her, and I'm slightly sad that BF didn't snap a picture of that.

I set the tom back down after a few minutes and they just went after each other again. I sprayed them with the hose, that didn't deter them. So I've sent one of them to go live in the duck enclosure for now, but that's not a permanent solution. They continue to have verbal altercations between the fences.

Those of you with toms - is this normal? They are 13 months old and were fine with each other until now.

Will we have to process one of them? And if so, which color do you like better?

[​IMG]

2. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I don't know if that fighting is normal or not. I had two BBW toms in close quarters and they were just shy of a year when processed with no scarring, sparring or issues other than who was the bigger pig. (They were live weight at that point about 75 lbs, dressed out at 52 and 57 lbs...probably too big to fly up at each other). Maybe 1 year is the magic number?

If you have to dispatch, IMHO process the heavier one.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good point. I was just amazed at how few horses were in the race.

I noticed how many of the horses yesterday were filled out.
    It seemed like when I was a kid, the horses that won races were much leaner and lankier than the QH looking horses.

As for the complaint of C Chrome's owner about the unfairness of a horse running all 3 races against fresh horses, I somewhat agree.

I know that is tradition but he said something that struck a cord with me. He said "it is called the triple crown - that's three races".

What if they kept it the way it is but only horses that race all three qualify. Let horses race but if a horse that wins the first two beats all other horses that ran the first two then, it wins the triple crown. Horses that only run the Belmont can win the Belmont but not keep the horses that run all three from a triple crown. Am I being stupid.

Keep the rarer strain.

I had a boy from the cockerel flock that apparently didn't go back inside at dusk a couple days ago. He was outside in the morning when I let birds out. I tried to get him back into his pen first but he kept running into the woods.
    When I let the others out he started challenging my best rooster in a chain link dog pen. They kept going at it and annoying me. The cockerel was one of 7 left from the NYD hatchalong. I was trying to decide which one I was going to keep. I decided it wasn't him. I grabbed a fishing net and when he jumped at the other rooster the net went right over him and into the cone he went. I love it when they decide for me who wants the cone.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

[​IMG]
    Now I am getting hungry!

5. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    I don't really think he's small, and actually he has gained weight since the Derby. I like the back story as well.

I don't think there's a horse alive, then or now, that could have beaten him that day.

Bloodhorse.com says he grabbed a quarter coming out of the gate, I don't think that made the difference though. I agree with the owner's reasoning too, always have thought those with the horse to compete in all three races are the only ones that should be permitted to do so.

I watched as well :) I think back in the day, horses were trained harder and longer and were in overall better condition to run every couple of weeks, which was common. Now it is rare. That said, Art Sherman had his horse in good condition, he's an old-schooler. He said he doesn't normally run his horses more than every 4 weeks, though.
    My DH refused for years to watch the Triple Crown races with me after Eight Belles. That was heartbreaking. Then one year I stayed home to watch the Friday races, and he saw an interview with Rosie Napravnik and got such a kick out of her he had to watch her ride :)

I like the lavender on the right, I'm a sucker for dilutes :)

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    These guys are large but not super large. They don't spend much time eating, mostly gobbling and displaying for the ladies (or whoever wants to look at them). I processed their sister last fall and she was so large she didn't fit in the scalder or cold water bucket very well (in fact, got stuck). How do you scald? Or rather... WHAT do you scald in? I would have done one of these boys last fall had doing the smaller girl been less difficult.

They're both "mutts" or as far as I know they are... They're both friendly and doing the deed with the ladies. On the other hand my cornish rooster is not getting the deed done properly and has attacked me twice recently (he's also over a year old and just started acting like a jerk). The last time he did it I picked up a stick and thawacked him pretty good with it. He's been good since then, but I just don't trust him. Next time I process, his number is up. I was hoping to use him as a meat bird project, but he just can't do the deed well and I refuse to have a nasty rooster for long.

7. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I just saw a photo of California Chrone's injury on Facebook. Looks like he stepped on his front right heel coming out of the starting gate and ran the whole race with what looks like a super painful injury. I'm astonished now that he came so close to winning!

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Back in Oz while you guys are out voting on that Tuesday in November, the whole country stops for a horse race called the Melbourne Cup.

It's a 'three times past the post" two mile race.

For those three minutes of each year you won't find a soul on the road. Even schools all watch it.

There are 14-18 horses and it's an amazing race to watch

1 person likes this.
  9. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM

10. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Now that is an idea I haven't heard before!!! I have a "turkey fryer" but that's what my hen got stuck in so I don't dare do the toms in that. I let the boys back in with each other (after one being in time out for a few hours) and they immediately went after each other again. Sigh. Now the other turkey is in duck enclosure "time out" and I'm going to have to figure out something to do with him tonight. I'm guessing after it gets dark I can sneak him back into the coop and then remove him early tomorrow. Unfortunately the duck enclosure won't work tomorrow for a variety of reasons. I guess I am going to have to put one of them in the hoop house and hope that the bird assassin stays away while I'm gone (I'll be leaving for Baltimore tomorrow morning, gone about 24 hours).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by