The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Yes... what kind of trees are you planting?

The Tom Saga continues this morning. They haven't even left the roost, yet (and the rest of the flock has been outside for 3 hours). It's a face off, on the roost. It seems like they can't hurt each other as badly as on the ground, so I'm letting them be, for now. BF will watch them until he heads to work and has to make a decision whether to leave them together or not. I know if one is out in "prison" that the other won't go to bed, so predator-wise, it's best to keep them together today and hope they both still have faces when I get home early tomorrow morning.

2. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    mostly Apples,
    honeycrisp , fuji , golden Delicious , Granny Smith ( though this one froze do to pushing buds and leaves in our mild winter only to get cold again grrr. , Anna , have a few Cherries , pears , A peach and Nectrine , apricot , Green Gage Plum , Persimmon and a few Pomergranite. Plus a bunch of Blueberries.
    This area is mostly for the Apples though. Still Debating on where to put the others.

3. JW12

JW12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2014
    Greenback, TN
    Honey crisp apples are my favorite! The kids look forward to them coming in right before Halloween. I just eat them but they want caramel on it.

4. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Scott

5. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Sounds wonderful! Plenty of variety. [​IMG]

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    This is so sad..I'm so sorry. What a beautiful boy.

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    We are going to have cherries soon! In fact, I'm thinking by next week...they are getting nice and red. Bing Cherries. The ones that fall don't last long around here. Have a tree on the dogs side of the fence, and the chickens eat them up as quick as they see them on the ground. Also, losing all of the small little apples that don't make it..makes for good thinning..wish they would thin more on themselves. Going to have a lot of apples this year. And cherries! No cherries or apples last year..not sure why.

8. getaclue

getaclue Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Many of the churches in our area have a kitchen area, and have extra large stainless steel pots because of cooking for a crowd. You might try asking. They might require a deposit. Other than that, Wal-Mart, and several of the cookware stores at the mall have extra large cookware that is sold individually. You can look online too.

9. getaclue

getaclue Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Cynthia, the cherries sound so good, and the apples too. We can't grow them down here, due to the heat. I haven't had a good fresh picked apple in years.

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Around here, since we are considered an ethnic community, Most stores carry reasonably priced large pots for making tamales.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by