The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I'm finding I'm more active now than I have been in the past decade. Mainly because infirmedness *may* be around the corner and I certainly don't want to be stuck sitting around saying "Dang! I could've done that!"

That being said, however, being active puts me in touch with just how old my body is. I used to paint houses as a teenager. This winter a few trips up and down on the ladder and my knees were crying "Uncle!" (Why did I have to pick a house to rehab with 10-foot ceilings?) Luckily, joint supplements have VASTLY improved in formulations, making things tolerable again. I found I have a weather knee (thanks to wear-and-tear, skiing accident and unscheduled dismounts from horses) that can predict the next day's snowstorm. I spent a lot of the winter dragging my leg across the parking lot like some odd elder zombie until I started with the hyaluronic acid pills. I won't say I'm skipping down the block as I'm waaay past skipping age, but it's back in the realm.

My husband, I'm convinced, is an 8 y.o. boy incarnate....He and Dennis the Menace could be cousins with the antics. I won't say he never grew up, but he has certainly been reborn.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

hahaha "odd elder zombie" that cracked me up! Glad you're getting some relief...you give quite a testimonial. I'm betting your husband keeps you laughing :)

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Wow welcome to all the "new" people! [​IMG]
    Peep show, I have to agree with you about being more active now than when I was younger. I was never a couch potato but I also figure if I want to go and see the things I want to see, the time is now instead of later. Later I might not be able to and if I keep myself in good enough shape, I might be able to go to all those places for a lot longer. [​IMG]

4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Thanks for the welcome dsqard! I've always been an active person. Used to run everyday when I was in my 20's and 30's. Probably the reason for some of my joint problems now. Then I had surgery in both of my feet. Slowed down in my 40's and now in my later 50's, I have started exercising more and going to the gym to try and maintain. I have a lot of arthritis and some days are pretty rough, but I still try to keep active.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    There have been some studies about arthritis and running. Running did not cause the joint damage. They suspect it to be an auto immune cause so it would have happened without running. Most studies have shown that movement helps. Maybe not running, but walking and moving. Many find water exercising helpful.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That's a great idea but I have alienated many of the churches in this area. Well... not me, exactly. My dad likes to call up the churches and ask for a missionary visit for me in the hopes of changing my mind (I'm an athiest). While I will be polite and listen, I'm also upfront and tell them I'm not interested. Years later the JW's are still interested in my soul. I give them credit for perseverance. So I'd rather not attempt to borrow a pot.

We are 95.3% white in this state. The only pots I'm going to find are for lobsters or clams. [​IMG]

I have the sturdy propane burner but the "turkey fryer" I put it on isn't that big. The boys "behaved" enough yesterday according to BF, but I know things aren't back to normal because the boys still haven't left the coop, yet. I will likely still take someone down today or this weekend... and I'll likely have to invest in a new pot, especially considering I may or may not have a broody turkey on some turkey eggs.

I am exhausted from my trip yesterday. Got home around 0130 this morning, and then got up 3 hours later to do the morning chores. Managed to get back to sleep after the chores and slept off and on until 0900. Now I feel like a lazy slug. I was going to force myself into doing some outdoor chores today (since I took the day off work) but I'm "sad" to report it is ever so slightly raining outside.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    We counterbalance one another - most of the churches have alienated me. My father used to offer the minister a beer whenever he visited and then debate the existence of God. JW's have a church just down the road. When we first moved here (49 years ago) they would 'visit' every couple of weeks. They've given up on me. There was one elderly lady that I really enjoyed talking with.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Good to know it takes them less than 50 years to give up! I felt bad for the JW's the first time they showed up here. They were in their Sunday finest, nice shoes, too. They were trying to navigate the "chicken land mines" in the yard while not looking like they were put off about it. I did send them home with some eggs for their troubles.

9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

[​IMG] Back at ya'!! Glad you made it, now, make yourself at home and stay awhile...... [​IMG]

10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG they always go out to spread the good word in their Sunday finest. I feel bad for any missionary that gets Utah though. There can't be too many of us "heathens" around. [​IMG]
    They should have those big pots at Home Depot year round. It is huge. I can't move it with water in it by myself but it works great for those bigger birds. Smoked turkey is wonderful too. [​IMG] I might have to invite one of my other grown hens to dinner soon. I do not want to bring all of the grown birds and the youngsters I have growing out through winter. That would not be a small feed bill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by