The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What a pleasant surprise - early this morning I got a phone call from my childhood best friend. He was in the area and asked if it was OK to stop by. "Of course!" Our parents were best friends, and lived about a mile from one another. We grew up together and became constant companions exploring the Sourland Mts and Raritan rivers, riding our bikes all over the place, double dating, working on local farms together - good times for sure. Long time friends fit like well worn clothes - a sentence or two and you are right back where you left off. Life is good. [​IMG] Every now and then a trip down memory lane is rejuvenating.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    This is great. It really is good for the soul to go down the good memory lane. :D

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    "Sourland mtns- !!!!" OMG Sour, they named mountains after you. I didn't even get a fire hydrant

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, shoot, Diva, we all knew Sour's as old as the hills, right? So now we know he's even older.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG if you really want to make the investment, I got a huge aluminum pot last year (I want to say 42 quarts) at Home Depot. It works great for the turkeys. I have a sturdy propane burner (purchased at Cal Ranch) I put it on. I highly suggest a burner with solid metal legs. I broke one burner from the weight of the pot with the water in it.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, yes I think they may have. About that fire hydrant - you know what dogs do to fire hydrants ------------------------------- [​IMG]

7. JW12

JW12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2014
    Greenback, TN

Yeah don't be a hydrant! That would be ewww lol

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I can personally attest to the experience of a confused dog using me as a fire hydrant.

I would prefer not to be one either.

It's a cloudy motioning at CocoBeach. I am just finishing my coffee while the guys have their breakfast break.

The goats are all tethered to coconut trees in the front yard mowing the lawn. The kids are free to run and jump and play. The nubian cross are growing so much faster than the previous doeling from our first buck. The oldest is two months of age and almost the same size as her older sister. We have one more due this week.

I have chicken sales this week that I am going will surpass my feed bill for the month for my entire menagerie. If this keeps up I may be able to buy a new buck by labor day. This time next year we will have 75% nubian kids.

We are building a second grow-out pen that will handle 100 teenagers this week. That will free up breeder coops I have been using to house juvies. I need all 11 coops to handle the requests for birds.

It's day 14 of our big hatch. I will convert one of the old pig pens for the pheasant but if we get a good number of turkey, we may need one more coop.

9. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Insanity, so sorry for your losses. Daryl was a beauty! Sure hope to read that you've put an end to the skunk.

Hi all...Wisher invited me months ago and I've finally taken the time to read and read and read and now pop up to say hi.[​IMG]

Incredibly, I find I surely qualify for membership in the old folks group...not sure how that happened. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds my 18 year old self in this slightly older body! Ah well, I'm thankful for every day and sure do enjoy time with my crazy chickens and people who understand that enjoyment :)

10. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Agree, young minds stuck in older bodies. Sometimes I scare myself when I look in the mirror and wonder where that younger person went. Time certainly flies, and I don't look back. Life is too short not to live life to the fullest now. But some days I do wish that these bones didn't creak and crunch so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by