The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the warm welcome...even if I'm a Gator and you're not! We live in the part of Florida that people usually consider lower Alabama lol. I often wonder how the maps were drawn way back when and who in the Alabama contingent agreed to give up this wonderful strip of the Gulf of Mexico! I'll have to do some reading about that.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    If the local Home Depot does not have it, Use ship to store. It is free and works very well. I have a shade cloth roll on the way to my Home Depot currently. It was cheaper than Amazon.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Great tip, Ron, thanks!

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have to remind myself not to be so "far behind" this year and to hatch in mid-winter, again. That gives me birds that are ready to be processed starting memorial day weekend. The boys don't seem to have made up, and the blue one appears to have lost. I'll have to go out soon and see what the damage is.

I didn't know I could do that! I will also try my local Aubuchon Hardware. They're a great store, the one closest to me also sells livestock feed (plus chicks in the spring) and has the best customer service around - I'm willing to spend a few more dollars to make them succeed. I bought my pressure canner from them a few years back... In fact, I don't think I've ever actually bought any hardware there.

Welcome! I have always wondered about the shapes of states, as well. Do find out and share!

Did you know Maine is the only US state that only touches one other US state? We're also the only state with one syllable in our name. We're also the safest state, crime-wise, most likely because for 7 months of the year it's too cold to venture outside to get into trouble. [​IMG]

Those of you planning to visit Maine soon... summer is anticipated to be from July 20th through 27th. Plan accordingly.

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Best turkey I ever ate was a smoked one....a 7.5 lb hen (dressed weight) that we put on the Weber smoker rotisserie with lots of oak. Folks we had over to dinner are still talking about it. Mmmmm..... Just thinking about it, I may have to raise some turkeys again!

1 person likes this.
  6. getaclue

getaclue Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I had an uncle that converted an old refrigerator into a smoker. He used to smoke a turkey for us every Thanksgiving, and I agree that they are the best that way. He used to smoke fresh caught mullet (fish not hair) for us too. Haven't had any like that since he passed away.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    There is a TV show called How the States Got Their Shapes. I have watched it a few times and it is really very interesting. Never saw one that explained the "lower Alabama" part of Florida.
    Joanne I used to live in Navarre back between 2001 and 2004. We got out a few months before Ivan hit. Loved living in that part of the country even if the humidity was hard to deal with in the summer.
    SCG Maine might have the least amount of crime but I think it is more dangerous than other states because of the monster mosquitos! [​IMG]

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    [​IMG]

10. dsqard