The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Good morning from the other side of the world. I am pleased to report that Friday is here.

We are in the process of tidying up the gardens. The local village fiesta is on later in the month and we were asked if they could use our place for the "Miss Tiling" photo shoot on Sunday.

Dominic says he will defer his Sunday off incase I need him that day to help finish the incubator I am building on the patio. Lol. Soooo helpful.

My feed delivery is 800-1000kg every 2 weeks because of 9 growing pigs. I am hoping chicken sales continue. Covering feed costs will enable me to be more selective in my pig improvement program.

There is a company competition on guessing whether the goat 7 will deliver before Ging, our maid. Both young'uns will be born CocoBeach Farm.

I have to go to town Sunday and buy a new air conditioner. The five year old Samsung we have runs really well but the fins are completely corroded as the aluminium is devoured by the salt air.

Happy Fathers day if I don't get on.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Happy Fathers' Day to you too.

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Our mozzies aren't big but they are viscous little buggers. When I first came here I reacted terribly to them. Now they annoy me for five to ten minutes. If I am heading to the piggery at dawn or dusk I still use deet. There has never been malaria in our area but dengue pops up in bacolod every now and then.

4. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    I made enough for dinner and two lunches. Another coolish day today and pondering meatloaf and scalpers (bonus is meatloaf sandies fore Rick's lunch on Flyday)...but better get on it or we'll be eating at midnight...tee hee.

Open standing invitation for you any time Diva! [​IMG]

Happy Friday and yes, your Father's Day is EXTRA special this year...Official DAD that you now be! [​IMG]

Oh my...yes, I do recall that to raise pigs is a feeding process indeed! I wish you had a farm where you could supplement with milk (have you freshened that water buffalo--is it a she? and will she stand for milking? or how about goat's milk??), chop and other goodnesses... I do suppose you feed garden greens but I suspect you have to feed real pig base feed also! Sigh. I have never raised pigs but tempting see the crisis in the pork industry and all. A few nice Berkshires or Ossabaw Island Hogs would be very interesting if I was younger and had time and energies to add another thing to the roster! That and a Dexter or three. Always thought mini milk/beef cattle would fun. [​IMG]

A photo shoot would be a fab location at yer patch of dirt!

A maid and which kid is number SEVEN...bwa ha ha

Hope you find a nice replacement air conditioner...you need to be fully rested to fully enjoy all that the paradise of Cocobeach has to offer one, eh!

Not Friday yet here for another 7 or so hours...working for the weekend & no sensible interruptions to the work bees! [​IMG]

I change outfits sometimes five to six times in a day pending the regiment. Nope, don't feel like Superwoman...more like a revolving door that never ends. One day, some day soon...gonna have a major senior's moment & screw up by putting on chore outfit instead of bus clothes--freak the kiddies right out and even might make some cry! [​IMG]

Better skedaddle...got muttloaf to make and KP duty peeling potatoes...

Tara

PS Not so bad...40 min and in oven...now to find something to do for coupla hours whilst the oven works its magic--that wood pile beckons moi...come hither, tither and toss splits! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Edit to add what else...pics of FOOD...glorious FOOD! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I wanted a new nubian buck for Father's day but I am getting a new AC unit for our bedroom instead.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The corrosion thing is something that takes a while to learn. Keep it simple is the best way. Don't buy high end anything. The things that last on a device in the USA like the fins on an ac will give out long before the compressor. Don't get electronic programming units. Dials with on/off hi/low and a thermostat. We got 5 years out of our Samsung which at the time was the cheapest on the market. Now Samsung had a reputation for quality so they are the same price as carrier. Our next one will be a Kolin. $375 for a 1 hp unit.

We have a quote this week for a new roof coming. It is a UV resistant plastic compound that is moulded to look like terracotta. It's 3x the price of GI sheet but worth it. We only get 18 months out of corrugated GI on the windward side of the house and the water damage to the ceilings is a pain to have to repair. With the lanai and 4ft eaves our little house as a roof area of 2500ft. It will cost $3 a sq foot with foil backed foam insulation under it.

I want to replace the bedrooms' Windows with double pane vinyl but can't find them in the province. I will try in Manila otherwise I will crate 6 Windows 6ft x 3ft from home Depot and ship them.

That's another $3000 that will have to wait for a lot of chicken sales

Our curtain rods are ½" stainless steel water pipe.

Brass screws and copper nails on outdoor furniture.

We have to build as if living on a boat

7. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

so cold and with 40 mph winds that we opted for roast beef. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Have you looked into EPDM rubber for roofing? I use it on my house and some of the coops. Anything with a flat or low slope roof. It comes in 45 and 60 mil but 45 is sufficient, white or black. It lasts about 40 to 60 years in normal climates, very lightweight and simple to install.

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

It's not available here.

It will come over with my next container.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Canuck Bok what are 'scalpers,' as in "meatloaf & scalpers." I'm guessing peeled (scalped) potatoes????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by