The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Sorry...should type in English, not house slang! My bad... [​IMG]

Yes, scallop potatoes and meatloaf...they compliment each other well and cook in the same oven...same heat, same amount of great especially on days where you want to be out working not standing over the stove tending dinner!

Meatloaf, scallops and Booberry jello with whipped cream...almost hospital food, eh? [​IMG]
    Told Rick this morn I had no idea what to have for supper but I think it was a good choice...he likes the idea of muttloaf sandwiches for his lunch on Friday. I like that it takes care of supper and the question of what to make for lunch.

The seven cart loads I did tonight gave me one wall of birch​

and one cart full of birch bark...​

Rick uses birch bark to start fires in the wood stove and I am delighted to fill up his supply at the house since he was right down to one piece left! when that happens! Almost think we planned things... [​IMG]

I laughed at Fixins...look at the concern on her face...

"Are you sure about this...Dad ain't home and I am not too good at punching 9 1 1 with my old sure you know what you are doing? You're old, I'm old...could be a catastrophe if one of us goes down, eh?"​

She was very relieved when Rick drove into the yard. I made him take her inside...the mosquitos were bad and I deeted my chore coat for her to lay on but she still made snuffle snort noises showing her disapproval of the stench from the bug spray.

I let some of the chooks out for an evening nip on the grass while I stacked splits.

I made a mental note to bring some five gallon pails of sand up here and put some in the two dust holes the chickens have decided they need. Usually they are pretty good about not digging a million holes if I accept the few spots they choose and just top it up with river sand. Rick had a Samoyed Niki that would dig a hole in the lawn and Rick kept filling them in till he realized the dog would make just ONE hole and he lay in it to keep cool (Sammies have that white seal pup type coat...very thick!). So I have stolen what he learned and try to work with the birds instead of trying to ruin their fun and turning it into a battle.

Was a good to call it a night and get some rest for the next one.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Love that last photo of your chickens enjoying the green green grass.. I swear, you must carry your camera in your back pocket. Or front. Around the neck? :D
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I AM so hungry thanks to all the great food photos. Too late now 12:49 am and too lazy to bother. I'll probably end up eating my pillow in my sleep. We'll see how that works out. Nitey nite folks.
  4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I was up most of the night on the phone with a friend of mine - her marriage is falling apart and they've only been married 2 months. Skipping ahead 4096585 minutes, this morning she found his car at one of his coworkers (female) house and asked me what I'd do.

Me? I'd slash the tires and then set it on fire.

Is that legal, Wisher? [​IMG]
  5. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    Well they finally let me out of byc jail
  6. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Wow. 2 months? Consider it lucky to have learned already, change the locks, and call an attorney. She loves only who she thought he was, not who he actually is.
    1 person likes this.
  7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG tell her that now she knows and to make arrangements to divorce him. He is not worth slashing tires or setting the car on fire. Tell her to keep her head up, take the high road and wait for Karma to catch up with him. It will, saw it happen when I went through my divorce. He isn't worth the negative energy. Yes it is hard to move on but really she will understand that learning this quickly that he is a dog is a good thing. No kids makes sloughing him out of her life so much easier. She won't have to deal with him for years to come. That will be a blessing.
  8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, that would be a waste of good rubber and a working car. Cut your losses, not tires.

My nephew's marriage broke down during the honeymoon.

Bamadude, how many times have you been in jail?
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Did you [​IMG]

Welcome Back!
  10. mimischicksnat

mimischicksnat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    SW PA
    We're going to try our luck this weekend at baling. Hubs is hoping that the 30% chance is low enough that we'll get lucky. It's just me and him so we need to hustle to get it all in. Ugh! We round bale and square. We're doing the squares this weekend. Round is more forgiving if it gets rained on a little. Square, not so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by