The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Wow...what business around here!! Makes me feel like a slacker. [​IMG] Bama dude in byc jail.....canuck bock making darn good fixins [​IMG] ....scg and her g/f situation....Oz and all the repairs, pig AI, fathers day approaching......

Somebody was sick? Who was it.....best well wishes to whomever it is. [​IMG]

I've been somewhat kinda sorta busy myself since April 28th. Chickie drama like crazy.....patching escape routes in the run.....and other stuff going on I have forgotten by now. What is it...June already?? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Baby chicks from the hatch. They finally got big enough to not get through the fence wire. They are 8' up on the roost...lol.
    Mama hen got them all up there for bedtime.....then she goes to the opposite roost to keep an eye on them. Too funny.

Oh yeah...I remember.....the big birds ended up with mites. The head roo was really bad...he was infecting the rest of them. So that was/has been 2 to 3 weeks of more fun and excitement.

We have to move a shed over to the property, so hubby has been leveling the space up with his Kubota.

Hubby is also working on a new job interview at this time. Closer to home, same or more $$.....and 36 hours for 40 pay. Weekends. Interview will be coming Tuesday.

Oh...a too cute chicken funny happened the other day. I opened the run gate to let the babies out for their first time to free range. Since Mama was done raising them.
    Well, the head roo wandered up......gave them all a wide eyed look....out pecking on green grass. Then promptly herded them all back into the run. One of last years younger hens helped him. I just sat there and watched them. He didn't like those babies being out of the safety of the run I guess. He's always been good of the chicks.....and I never expected to see that. [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending new job good vibes to your hubby - hope he gets it [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    SCG tell your girlfriend to get 'checked out' - now that she knows he is a dog, he may have given her fleas or ....... [​IMG]

4. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Thank you diva!!

5. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Ewwwwww........[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Seems like we all need to pitch in and get Bama a "Get out of jail," card and a cash advance for his "yet to be" memoirs "How I survived BYC jail."

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Only 3 1/2" of rain this month but it came over 7 of the last 9 days so haven't been able to do any gardening or much of anything. It's ruined all plans for harvesting mulberries. 2 1/2 dry days coming but today and tomorrow will be a wash. I have a 4 hour chicken class Saturday that's an hour away. Get up at 5, feed and water chickens, pack car with supplies for class, shower and eat breakfast, let chickens out just before I leave. Class is 9-1 but I usually don't get back till about 3 so a perfect gardening day will allow me only a few hours.
    The weeds are out of control.
    I also need to check out the bee hives but that's time consuming too as is the processing of 10 birds that need to go.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  8. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    This was my 3rd time in byc jail. It happened at the worst possible time. I ordered a brinsea spot check thermometer from some1 in the buy, sell, trade section. I had just put 41 eggs in a new bator for my first try at hatching. Wisher was coaching me via pm. I put em on lockdown last night. I tried candling on days 7, 14, and 18. They all look weired. We had a pretty bad storm last friday night and lost power for 9hrs. Im hoping at least 1 hatches

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Bummer. I hope 2 healthy ones hat so they have buddies.

10. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    True. It would be my luck they would both be cockerels and have special needs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by