The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Weasels can be terrible!

I hope the slow down soon. The crazy winter must have really brought out the predators in your area.

Someone posted a weasel trap. It had something to do with burying a pickle jar?

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks SCG I have the date marked on my calendar for I will keep a close eye on them and move them to a separate pen after they hatch.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I found this information on trapping them.
    http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/Weasels.asp

I'm heading to Cabela's for some leg traps and then to the pet store for some mice to use as bait. I'll put them in a small cage in the center of the box.

4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    CC do you know anyone with a dog that has hunter instincts? Our dogs will get anything.

[​IMG]
    Little Bit is a mixed terrier and she loves the chicks. From the day I brought her home I had her go with me to tend the brooders and showed her the babies. So they are not scared of her and she thinks they are hers and they play together.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It all makes sense now. I couldn't figure out the wanton slaughter when there's so much natural raccoon food around. A huge garden, fruit all over the ground and in trees not to mention a bucket of fermented feed next to the coops free for the taking, it didn't make sense that raccoons would kill so many birds and not eat any meat.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    We built two of those - pretty easy to build. Be careful using "new" wood - they don't like the smell. Found some old boards under the chicken coop and used those (after building one with new wood), although we still didn't catch it. Instead of a leg trap inside we used a rat trap.

[​IMG]

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have a new rat trap that has been sitting around here for about 5 months that my wife said was scary. She can't remember what she did with it.
    I'm also building a few PVC pipe traps using live mice.
    I can't fail in this endeavor or 5 years of breeding will be in vain.

On a couple positive notes, I had a chick hatch today from my best original hen (rest in peace).
    I have a lot of empty buildings now so I can redesign/refurbish/rebuild them to be weasel proof.
    Luckily my best rooster (conformation and color wise) is the one that's still alive. My oldest rooster is the one on the lamb. I've been tracking him every morning and evening and have yet to find where he's roosting. I hope to find him tonight. [​IMG]

There are 2 groves of trees across the field that he's hanging out in. One is a row of pines with some brush, the other is nearly impenetrable by humans. I've cut a couple paths through there. I hope he's sleeping in the pines.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  8. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

is it a case of wiring them into the circuit backwards? How would one remedy this exactly? I've not built one so I've never come across this. The farthest I've worked with putting thermostats on, there was no fan involved because it was for flex watt heat tape.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The fan needs to be connected to the hot wire before it gets to the thermostat.

Also, make sure that the fan is blowing into the incubator. Blowing out will make the bottom too cold and kill the eggs.

10. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

That is what I thought but didn't want to say the wrong thing and someone do it based off a ping on a Google search without reading the entirety of the thread...Thank you for putting the right information out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by