The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I am in the middle of a carb-fest. I've got some braided Italian bread about to come out of the oven, and two loaves of sweet white bread on their first rise.

Who posted the Thanksgiving rolls recipe? What exactly is "scald" milk? And how many cups of flour?

Anyone else have some good homemade (and easy) bread/rolls/etc recipes?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG I have my grandmother's pecan roll recipe if you'd like. They are not hard to make and very tasty and fattening if you are looking for high carb. I love making them every now and again to indulge my sweet tooth! [​IMG]

3. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Post it!! I love to bake (hate to make dinner) so at some point I would make those.

Also just put a batch of brownies in.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Went up to a small South Willow lake again yesterday. Lots of pretty wildflowers along the path.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and a butterfly too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    OK SCG give me a couple of minutes. It will take a bit to type it all up but I will post it soon [​IMG]

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Grandma Sturtevant's Pecan Rolls
    (now this recipe calls for you to split the dough in half to make pecan rolls with one half and crescent rolls with the second half. I usually make both halves into the pecan rolls, just double the "topping" so you can bake two batches. You can also cut the dough recipe in half and make only one batch of pecan rolls)
    Mix together
    2 cups lukewarm milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tsp salt
    Add 2 Tbs Dry yeast and stir until dissolved
    Stir in 2 eggs (you got any of those? [​IMG])
    1/2 cup Crisco type shortening (I like the "butter" flavor kind but really any kind will work)
    Mix in 8 cups sifted flour

Knead dough, let rise until double in bulk. Once it rises, punch down and roll half of dough into a 9"x18" rectangle. Spread 2 Tbs softened butter or margarine on the rolled out dough. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 2 tsp cinnamon on the dough (I will sometimes even spread some finely chopped pecans on the dough too but I LOVE pecans)
    Roll dough up tightly starting on the wide side and seal the edge by pinching it. Cut the roll into 1" slices.
    Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine with 1/2 cup brown sugar just until the sugar granules are melted. Pour mixture into the bottom of a 9"x13" pan. Toss 3/4 to 1 cup of pecan halves into pan and try to spread them out as evenly as possible. Place the roll slices on top of the pecan halves.
    Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden brown. Once you take them out of the oven, immediately turn the pan upside down on a large tray (like a cookie sheet). Leave the pan on top of the rolls for a minute or so to let the butterscotch run down onto the rolls then remove the pan. Now enjoy! [​IMG]

7. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That sounds phenomenal.

How does one make crescent rolls out of the other half?

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Don't use the sweet stuff and cut the dough into triangles. Roll up from the big end and you have crescent rolls!

Go to just under 2 minutes into this video:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG here you go
    Roll into a 1/4" thick 12" circle. Spread with soft butter. Cut into 16 wedge shaped pieces. Starting at widest edge, roll up. Place in a 12" square pan with the points down. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown. Not sure how long that takes maybe ten minutes? The recipe says it may be enough dough for two 12" circles so you may have to play with this some to see how it goes. Like I said, I just make both halves into pecan rolls. [​IMG]
    ETA - yeah what Ron said!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    BTW SCG -
    Scalded milk is milk that has been heated to 82 °C (180 °F).[

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by