The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

[​IMG]

This is so True! I tend to stay away from Treads at belittle new to chickens Folks.

1 person likes this.
  2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I have not personally experienced this (to my face) but I have had very respectable private conversations with people about these things.

The main reason I asked was because I read a website that said a hen is either a female chicken over one year old or one that has started laying.

It's just easier to type "hens" because I have pullets not "pulleys".

And what you say about exclusion is true.

Every group has them. Hope everyone can appreciate my anecdote here.
    My Imam told us once (or maybe I've heard it more than once, the guy's a comedian lol) that Islam is the most inclusive religion but Muslims can be the most exclusive people. This is true with all great groups and faiths...what makes anyone think keeping chickens would be any different!

Some are more prone to judge than others, I pray for their burdens to be eased. Amin.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Congrats subhanalah!!!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It happens in all walks of life. But, as said in so many words, no one was born an expert at anything.

It does get a little old when a first time poster asks a question that has been answered a thousand times and the information could be found here or just googled.

X2
    And glad you're getting hen fruit for your efforts.

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I thought about SCG today...

[​IMG]

160 quarts!

6. Latestarter

Latestarter Chicken Obsessed

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    [​IMG] but would that hold a 50 pound turkey do you think? I bet a stray guinea would fit for sure!

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Why do some things have to be so tough?! Ey :D

Pullet = baby chick

Hen = baby chick grown up and laying eggs. I don't care what the experts say..:p I've called my girls..pullets, until they start laying, then I call them hens.

Some old farmers could care less..they call them chickens all their lives, Baby chicks, pullets, hens, cockerels, roosters...they don't care, they are chickens. Instead of .. look at that little chick...it's look at that little chicken. :D

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I actually sat on the front porch this evening - noticed some little crawly things wandering around on me. Decided to check the fern basket that had housed a House Finch family. [​IMG] Mites, mites, and more mites - sprayed the basket with insecticide and then flushed it with water out on the lawn. Hope that I killed the mites and not the fern. [​IMG] They've nested in the fern baskets several times over the past couple of years without any problems. I'm not certain that they will be welcomed back.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Ugh crawlies, oh barf [​IMG]

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

It is the Show stuff that has the definitions. I think it is much easier to say Hen and Rooster. Rooster is frowned upon but acceptable.

[​IMG] It must make showing them easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by