The Old Folks Home

.... My name is SCG and I love the way the inside of a bee hive smells... so sweet. I can walk next to the hive and smell it, too.
So you mean, super sensitive chemical girl.

... I miss keeping bees. Had a dream several nights ago that I was establishing a hive using a package of bees. ...
Do it.

Propolis, wax, pollen, honey - :yesss:   the smells of a bee colony.  I miss keeping bees.  Had a dream several nights ago that I was establishing a hive using a package of bees.  SCG, do you think that your colony needs another brood super?
I've heard that dreams are answers to the questions we haven't thought to ask...it was either on a movie...or the X-Files.

Propolis, wax, pollen, honey -
yesss.gif
the smells of a bee colony. I miss keeping bees. Had a dream several nights ago that I was establishing a hive using a package of bees. SCG, do you think that your colony needs another brood super?

I use all mediums so I believe that is part of my problem (ie isn't she less likely to use a smaller frame to lay in?). I have 3 mediums as my "brood" chambers but I've had a difficult time getting them to use the lower box. So I keep switching around the 3 boxes (I've done it three times now) and the last hive inspection looked really good for everyone using the 3 brood boxes, but there's still a lot of space left in them so I'm hesitant to put another box on. Anyway, I also purchased a queen excluder for the next time.

(And I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm more a haver of bees than a keeper of them).

SuperChemicalGirl --> I'm a pharmacist.

Sometimes i wonder the meanings of some of ur guys screen names. Bamadude=dude from Alabama.

I'm a life long canoeist, mostly on small mountain streams. But I had recently completed the world's longest non-stop canoe race on one of the world's largest rivers. Shortly after that, I had just built my chicken tractor. Those 2 events were just before I joined BYC. I know it's dumb but for some reason when asked for a screen name, tractor and canoe both seemed like possible conveyances for chickens in my feeble mind.

I use all mediums so I believe that is part of my problem (ie isn't she less likely to use a smaller frame to lay in?). I have 3 mediums as my "brood" chambers but I've had a difficult time getting them to use the lower box. So I keep switching around the 3 boxes (I've done it three times now) and the last hive inspection looked really good for everyone using the 3 brood boxes, but there's still a lot of space left in them so I'm hesitant to put another box on. Anyway, I also purchased a queen excluder for the next time.

(And I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm more a haver of bees than a keeper of them).

SuperChemicalGirl --> I'm a pharmacist.

In my limited experience, queens always seem to work the brood chamber upwards - through the summer I would have a minimum of two and sometimes three full supers as brood chambers - any less resulted in attempts at swarming. I always used a queen excluder to keep her out of the half supers. You mentioned earlier about hive smells - around here from early autumn on the bees are working golden rod. That stuff makes the hives STINK, but provides great pollen and honey stores for overwintering.

Last edited:
Sometimes i wonder the meanings of some of ur guys screen names. Bamadude=dude from Alabama.

It was late when I made my account one night, I didn't get creative so mine is my initials and the year of my car lol I have been thinking about changing it to something more but I'm to lazy to do it lol

Back
Top Bottom