The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'm glad she's feeling slightly better, hope she continues to perk up. Is her abdomen swollen at all?

Got my strawberry-vanilla bean concoction out of the canner just a few minutes ago. Not sure if it's jam or syrup topping, yet. As I was about to boil it, I reached into the drawer to get the thermometer and... it's not there. Text BF at work, oh yeah, he left it in the smoker. Had to wing it. Hopefully I got it right for jam. Otherwise it's going to taste fantastic on some homemade vanilla bean ice cream.

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Chickisoup I am happy she is feeling better and hope she will stay well!

SCG hopfully your jam comes out great!

3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

"I'm glad she's feeling slightly better, hope she continues to perk up. Is her abdomen swollen at all?"

thanks @superchemicalgirl She's totally back to normal this morning. There had been no apparent reason for her not laying, I had checked her over well and watched her for any changes. She just turned a year, as well as her two sisters, and they had all been throwing feathers around, got rid of the pesky roo, remodel in the coop, new aussie chicks moved into coop in their brooder, new "play yard" expansion, lots of things going on about time she stopped. Any or all can throw them off their lay and we won't even talk about the weather [​IMG]

your strawberry "stuff" sounds yummy no matter what it turns out to be! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  4. chickisoup

[​IMG]

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Keep a close eye on her.

Hens will do that if they have Cancer--Two weeks later they will be back to sick. The Vitamins give them a boost but will not over come the Cancer.

[​IMG] She may well be fine tough!

6. chickisoup

Thanks for your experienced, wise warning Ron [​IMG]

7. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    SCG-may I suggest a landing net? if you can get close enough to catch the guinea?

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    He's gone again, so it's a moot point until the next close encounter of the guinea kind.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Predator update
    I didn't see the culprit but from quite a distance in some deep grass. My wife saw it close up and identified it as a weasel when I showed her a picture. It turns out she can't tell the difference between a weasel and a mink even when looking at the two pictures side by side [​IMG]

Friday afternoon the chickens were going nuts and I saw it close up. It's definitely a mink, which explains why all my trapping methods for weasels yielded nothing. Everything was set up for a slightly smaller and much lighter animal. A 10 ounce vs. a 2 pound animal.

Now that I know for sure what they are and changing tactics somewhat, I'm hoping for success. I set a 110 conibear yesterday afternoon and caught a possum. I'm rearranging it a bit and hopefully will get a mink. I have a couple other ideas as well.

When we lived in a more urban area some 20 years ago, they razed about a square mile of dense forest a mile or so from my house to build an office park. We were inundated with possums and coons that year.

I noticed this morning that there's construction going on about 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile, as the crow flies where about 100 acres of woods have been bulldozed along the creek that runs at the bottom of the hill from my house. I've been catching possums and coons and now have the mink. I'm suspecting they all moved to my house and elsewhere from the razed area.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Fisher Cat's, of the Mink and Weasel family are making a comeback after near extinction.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/mystery-creature-bronx-weasel-fisher_n_5533376.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by