The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    i ordered them from cowgirl75446 off buy sell trade section.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Mine came from a farm in Indiana or Ohio. I can't remember the name but I would if I heard it. Something like Sunnydale.

3. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Cowgirl is from texas

4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I have done genealogy for many years after I first started looking up records for my family I found that someone had applied for a Social Security card in my grandmothers name and was drawing a SS check in her name. I contacted the SS office due to the fact that my grandmother never had a social security number nor my grandfather they were born in the late 1880's and did not need to apply. I still do not know who had applied for a SS number in her name but the SS office said they would take care of it. But if I go back into the SS online records it still shows her name with a SS number! [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I hate what has happened to my flocks and still haven't caught a mink yet. I may have to enlist the help of the state conservation department's trapping expert today.

On a few positive things if there is such a thing after such a huge loss to me and the breed.
    I still have 2 of my 3 best roosters and I have eggs incubating and chicks from the other roosters.
    Now is a perfect time to apply for NPIP. I was told they were scheduling testing for September. If they only test birds over 4 months of age, that means I'll only have to catch fewer than 25 birds. Much less daunting than trying to catch over 60 birds. That's probably the thing that has caused me to put off the project.
    I usually buy a month's supply of food at a time. I won't need food for a long time. I may need to sell some of what I have on hand to keep it from getting stale.

6. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Then this would be the right time to get NPIP! [​IMG]
    I hope the state will be able to catch them for you CC. [​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I've ordered from cowgirl before. Had a pretty decent hatch for shipped eggs.

8. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    i cant help but be concerned about theheat. The eggs are coming from texas to alabama. Its 98 degrees here right now. They may be on their 3rd day of incubation when they arrive.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A little pre-incubation isn't the end of the world and may help.

Early in the process of a natural incubation there is a lot of warming and cooling until a setter sits for keeps.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    She asked what i wanted to write on the box of eggs she was shipping. I told her to write: DANGER...AFRICANIZED HONEYBEES. SEVERE STINGING HAZARD. HANDLE WITH CARE. and an arrow pointing up. After reading all the horror stories about usps playing soccor with the boxes marked hatching eggs, i figured it couldnt hurt anything. We will see...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by