The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Amen Wisher!!! Very well said! I just would like to add, GOD BLESS THE USA!!!
    [​IMG]

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Crossing the Road

Feb 28, 2013
    Gone camping

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Mar 31, 2010
    Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
    On to chicken stuff this morning.

I separated out the cockerels and the pullets from this spring's hatch. I ended up with about 50/50 which surprises me as I was sure I had A LOT more boys than girls.

I called a girl that had once said she would be interested in eggs and meat birds whenever I had some extras. Her family is from Mexico, although she was born in the US. Last night, she came to collect the cockerels. She brought her father, her mother, her grandmother, her little sister, a cousin and her new husband. Seven people in a pickup with jump seats behind the front ones, not a four door! They were friendly, jovial, and obviously excited about the birds.

While we were collecting the individuals that would change hands, a fox stuck it's head under the tarp that serves as a windbreak on one side of the coop. The tarp hangs on the outside, so there was no danger of it getting a chicken dinner. It couldn't see into the coop from the back (wooded) side until it did and when it saw all the people, beat a hasty retreat. Perhaps I did have a lot more cockerels........

I sold them 18 cockerels ranging in age from eight weeks to six months, and two laying hens, for $100. I think we were both happy with the deal that was struck. They will likely eat several of the larger cockerels this weekend and grow the rest out for later. They wanted the hens for eggs and would have bought all I had if I would have been willing to part with them. I was glad to be shed of the cockerels. I didn't want to give up any of my hens, but I liked the family immensely, and would likely have given them a couple of hens, if circumstances were different.

But, $50 apiece for two hens is pretty good!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There have been times when I might have paid someone $100 to take my extra cockerels. Well done!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just made up my mind that all extra cockerels here will be eaten - by me. After all, the cockerels I'm producing are a breed famous in Spain for flavor where people pay $50 for their Christmas dinner cock.
    Luckily I had butchered two before the mink killed the rest.
    I just butchered a young white leghorn yesterday. I hated doing it since he was my buddy and came running every time I went outside but I have no use for a leghorn rooster. I tried to find a home for him but I wasn't going to give him away to be eaten by someone else.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    the Crele Pene X Creme Legbar cockerels were not super large but were very tasty. Penedesencas are good eating!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The old lady up on the hill behind my childhood home had six large brooder coops and a free range growing area for her replacement leghorns. Any cockerels were mine for the catching and taking - they made great fryers - or was that my mother's cooking - or my embellished memory? Every late summer/early autumn after the layer houses were cleaned (by me at negligible wages) it was time to catch and move the pullets into the them. Easily done for those still roosting in the brooder coops. Those roosting in the shade trees presented more of a problem. Great memories and a great time in my life.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Hard work creates some good memories.

9. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    bamadude, you were mentioning Slocomb tomatoes....are they from the ones that were started there years ago by a farmer by the last name of Martin?

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Mar 31, 2010
    Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
    I'm working toward that, but understand and accept that it may never happen.

I have made great progress from when I started, however. I began my chicken keeping career with the attitude that none of my birds would ever be processed and eaten, by anyone. I gradually decided that I could sell some and not ask or worry about what the new owner would do with them. Now, I can sell them knowing that they will be eaten (I can't spend too much time with the cockerels before selling them.....) and will soon trade live cockerels for a percentage back after processing. If I enjoy those immensely, I will take some to the processor to be processed for me. Hopefully, the next step would be processing a "stranger" bird myself.

I really want to process the birds that I raise, myself, and enjoy the fruits of my labor along with my family, but I have to ease into it gradually. I am just too tenderhearted toward the animals I care for.

I easily form strong attachments to chickens, dogs, animals, people..............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by