The Old Folks Home

I feel you. I've processed both hunted game and domestic animals most of my life. Deer, rabbits, squirrel, hogs, cattle, pheasant and chickens but it seems to be getting tougher. I seem to find reasons to put off processing day for the most inane excuses. It doesn't help that I have to do everything myself from catching, killing, boiling water, plucking, eviscerating, bagging, etc.. That makes the process take much longer than it should so I need to have a sufficient block of time.
I actually started my last round of chicken keeping several years ago with the understanding that extra cockerels and spent hens would find the pan or pot. To that end, I've never named a chicken. It's tough with slower growing breeds because they develop a discernible personality. I've even had a problem with a couple Cornish X that I let go too long because they would come running (more like waddling) every time they saw me.
The way I come to grips with it is that I eat chicken. I almost never eat a commercially raised chicken though. I never eat chicken at a restaurant or buy grocery store chicken. At least the ones I raise lived like chickens are supposed to.

Last edited:
Ive processed several different animals. It would be pretty hard for me to process my brahmas. Weve had them since they were a couple days old. They are like pets. I understand the day will eventually come, but its not going to be easy. My dw said she wants to be gone that day

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

Last night's thunderstorms dawned into a sunny, cool and dust-free day. I rousted DH and off we went down to the village's main street for the parade. We had to park about a quarter mile away, but it was a pleasant stroll down a country lane. The main street was packed with about 2000 people! (Corrales is a town that takes it's parades seriously). Even though we got a late start we managed to find a nice shady spot under a giant cottonwood tree to watch the festivities.

At 10:00 the Police Chief drove down the road and kicked off the parade. He was followed by a drum & fife corps salute to veterans (in Civil War garb, no less), followed by a bagpipe band (you haven't lived until you've heard "Yankee Doodle" via en masse bagpipes), the 4-H club (cute chicken float), a couple of goats, the Fire Department, the Forestry Department, the Boy Scouts, the American Foreign Legion, CHAMP had a sizeable posse of every shape and size (Corrales Horse And Mule People), assorted politicians' floats, classic cars, the Model A club, LOTS of vintage tractors (it's a farming community, after all), the tiny tots judo class, non-marching bands and assorted other groups. It really was a lot of fun and homey. Not fancy, but full of hometown spirit and definitely entertaining.

Later today we're going to a neighborhood bbq and then stroll up the hill view Albuquerque valley's various firework displays.

Happy Fourth of July! America is a great place to be!

Quote: I understand and I am with you on this Wisher. I have culled on Brown Leghorn cockerel for attacking me repeadly when I was feeding them. But I have not and don't know if I could eat one of my own birds. I want to try to brine and roast a turkey this year and will see if I can or not. But I can sale mine to be eaten. I have several families that come pick out their birds together. And when they have a birthday party the want 50 birds to celebrate with on the grill! lol

So glad that hurricane is heading out! Not too bad after all. Makes me smile for those folks out there..and hope that those that had some problems, get them resolved sooner than later.

Bamadude would you trade me some of your tomato seeds for some seeds? 
I have some:
Buttercrunch lettuce
Bloomsdale longstanding spinach
Radish

Foxglove
Poppy

Just let me know which you would like or combination of and I would like to trade if you don't mind.
sure. I like radish, spinach, and lettuce. Never had those other 1s but im pretty adventurous with veggies. Pm me ur address and i will send em monday

Back
Top Bottom